Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why motorcycle sales are falling (Read 347 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Why motorcycle sales are falling
Reply #30 - 03/10/18 at 08:39:28

Someone made the point that small, cheap scooters seem to be catching on. I'll have to second that. Here in Gig Harbor, 50cc (no endorsement required) Chinese scooters are really catching on. Especially with the rapid housing build-up and influx of thousands of new residents in the last 2 years, our tiny country roads are jam packed with traffic now. And forget a parking space on a clear weekend - they don't exist. It also helps that our weather patterns have changed in recent years to allow dry conditions May through September. We still get the chuggers, but they're just a few older guys or tourists. When I ride my Honda CT110, I get a lot of looks and compliments from youngers, mostly ladies Smiley. One even tried to steal it from a Target parking lot Angry.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #31 - 03/10/18 at 20:38:06

It's surprising to me that there are a few aftermarket kits for the 50cc scooters ,that are only a couple of hundred bucks ,to change them from 50 to 80 / 100 cc . and I've seen larger carb kits too. Makes me wonder if with a little  head work , intake and exhaust tuning if they couldn't do a lot better than their rated 25mph.(fun city ride?)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #32 - 03/10/18 at 21:06:20

We have a expert at hopping-up m/c engines here on the forum, maybe he could stroke one from 50cc to,,, say 450cc and add N2O!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 03/11/18 at 09:03:54

That's Mean!
And Funny at the same time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #34 - 03/11/18 at 09:45:55

What! No turbo?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #35 - 03/11/18 at 13:56:00

regarding millenials, when I was a kid, nobody cared where the kids were as long as they were home for supper! Rode all over town with the milkman and his horse, breadman and his horse and finally on my bike all over town. Big deal!  Now it's a non-stop line-up of cars dropping off kids at school. Progress? Ha!
Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #36 - 03/12/18 at 11:34:17

Fear has destroyed the adventure of childhood.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 03/12/18 at 14:40:14

Here is the bike they wanted me to buy....although this is a stock photo and not the actual bike.  It was pretty nice if this is what you want.

http://www.eastgateharley.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=51...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 03/12/18 at 15:18:59

If I wasn't a solid state/transistorized body type, I would have had something like that.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #39 - 03/12/18 at 18:56:42

BatMan

It's surprising to me that there are a few aftermarket kits for the 50cc scooters ,that are only a couple of hundred bucks ,to change them from 50 to 80 / 100 cc . and I've seen larger carb kits too. Makes me wonder if with a little  head work , intake and exhaust tuning if they couldn't do a lot better than their rated 25mph.(fun city ride?)  

I had a 65cc Honda with that same motor.   I just "Had" to see how it worked but left-out one of the wrist-pin-keepers on reassembly  .   By time I discovered my error there was a grove wore in the cylinder wall .050-.060" deep.   So off to the machine shop I went with a third oversize piston + rings.    It was faster than my buddy's 90cc sport model after that .  ............. All was well , till the third gear in the transmission broke !  
Too much upper end and not enough bottom end !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 03/13/18 at 04:13:14

MM.....I can see where you are going with this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tww0GVPTsSQ

« Last Edit: 03/13/18 at 07:14:24 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #41 - 03/13/18 at 05:55:50

The sad truth is we are the last of the freedom generation. When we were children and young adults we were free. Free to go out and play. Free to make mistakes. Free to be daring. Free to be unique. Free to face the consequences. Somewhere in the late 1990's or early 2000's freedom gave way to fear. What we are seeing now are the first young adults of the fear generation.

Freedom generation: Motorcycles? F yeah!
Fear Generation: Motorcycles? Ah...no thanks.

The fear generation will be safe in their living rooms playing video games and texting/snapchating/instagraming/tweeting - heaven forbid actual human contact and interaction. The fear generation have a lot of strange ideas about, well, just about everything. And they really don't give a crap about our knowledge or experience.

I fear the fear generation.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 03/13/18 at 07:06:58

Gary:

I agree with your assessment for a large part of the population - they are hiding indoors and not at all adventurous.  However - there is also a portion of the population that is "extreme", and they feel that the stuff that is done at the "X Games" is within their ability.  Wheelies on the interstate at 80 mph, high speed lane splitting, and traveling down a public highway at 120 mph are all deemed to be acceptable behavior to them.  They have no problem putting themselves and all everyone else on the highway at risk.  How has it become possible for a large group of sport bike riders to take over a highway so they can do stunts?

Ooopps....I got a bit off the topic.  YouTube has thousands of videos of folks doing things on mountain bikes, surfboards, skis, snow boards, etc. that are far above and beyond anything we would have done in our youth.  It seems that there are young folks on the both ends of the "active" spectrum.

And....there are still folks in the rural/farming communities doing what kids have always been doing - you just don't see them on YouTube or the evening news.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:29:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why motorcycle sales are falling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.