Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why motorcycle sales are falling (Read 347 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Why motorcycle sales are falling
Reply #15 - 03/03/18 at 14:20:42

I see tattoos in a very negative way- compromised intellect maybe?

The thought of a pretty young girl doing that to herself makes my flesh creep.

I guess this says a lot about me. Curmudgeon perhaps, but I don't care.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 03/03/18 at 18:55:55

I saw old people with tattoos when I was a little kid. Betty Boop wasn't cute, the battleship was sinking, and the anchors were faded.
I knew then to never get one.
The old ones died off, carrying the screwed up tattoos to the grave before these kids learned what they would get later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #17 - 03/03/18 at 19:22:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/03/18 at 18:55:55:
I saw old people with tattoos when I was a little kid. Betty Boop wasn't cute, the battleship was sinking, and the anchors were faded.
I knew then to never get one.
The old ones died off, carrying the screwed up tattoos to the grave before these kids learned what they would get later.

Betty Boop was hot.....

Her boop-boop-de-do, was what sunk the battleship buddy!  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #18 - 03/04/18 at 00:25:45

I was going to say something very similar to what Batman said. I know a few younger people who ride Japanese sports bikes ... or even ... Hyosungs! They still feel cool on a bike, but seem oblivious to the bad-boy / rebel / counterculture concept.

To me, even HD has become a caricature of itself. The HD showroom here has so many shiny bikes, made to look old school but then given the new bike feel. I'm thinking of a bike a saw with a swirled, raw, machine-finished tank - and then coated with some kind of pearlescent clear coat to keep it pretty.

This isn't to disregard the heritage of the HD, just to say I think it amazing that it still has the bad-boy reputation.

I remember a drawing by Banksy - there was, a middle-aged guy, a young mother, and a punk rocker, queuing up at a stall to buy t-shirts with "Capitalism Sux" printed on them  Grin

« Last Edit: 03/04/18 at 10:26:58 by IslandRoad »  

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #19 - 03/04/18 at 08:32:40

I think I recall, not too long ago, a jap bike coming out with a ad....

It has a pseudo bad dude look on a young millennium.
I sorta recall guys poking fun at it on this site.

A real poser, wearing girls panties, sorta thing  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #20 - 03/04/18 at 15:07:43

-

I do wonder about market saturation. Why buy a new Harley when Craigslist is loaded with very inexpensive used ones. That said, overall sales are indeed continuing to decline.

At least I did my part. With 3 college educated and gainfully employed sons, there are 4 bikes between them. So, they're doing better than a 1:1 ratio. Some times ya just gotta be proud.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #21 - 03/05/18 at 17:58:17

I noticed on the news last night that our government, here in Australia, said they would put a tariff on HD's coming here, if the USA goes ahead with the proposed tarrif on steel imports.

HD already announced a while back that they're closing a rim manufacturing factory here.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/05/18 at 18:20:15

IslandRoad wrote on 03/05/18 at 17:58:17:
I noticed on the news last night that our government, here in Australia, said they would put a tariff on HD's coming here, if the USA goes ahead with the proposed tarrif on steel imports.

HD already announced a while back that they're closing a rim manufacturing factory here.

It honestly does not look like that will happen, as many key US industries - auto, aircraft, and beverage, just to name three are absolutely livid at the mere suggestion. Many of us believe it is just another one of his smokescreens, designed to draw public attention away from the issue of kids packing serious heat and committing mass murder. He, who must not be named, must not upset the NRA. To do so could be career suicide. Now, back on thread. The military and the commercial air carriers are worried that younger people don't seem at all interested in pursuing careers in aviation. Or showing any interest in flying. I see a similarity here with motorcycle sales. Could be OP was on the right track.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 03/05/18 at 18:34:51

NRA,,nra,,NRAAAA, n. r.  a.
NRANRANRANRANRA,,

with negligible numbers of members.
Runs the government.
So funny..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #24 - 03/05/18 at 23:43:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/18 at 18:34:51:
NRA,,nra,,NRAAAA, n. r.  a.
NRANRANRANRANRA,,

with negligible numbers of members.
Runs the government.
So funny..

You had to go there, didn't you!  Grin
Off to the Tall Table with you  Lips Sealed

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 03/06/18 at 00:11:49

Come now everyone knows it the AARP that pulls the strings ,a vote against social security ,is a failure to be reelected .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Rotorhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pearl City, HI
Reply #26 - 03/06/18 at 13:42:46

Standard/clutch. I work with a number of young folks, most of which have not learned how to drive a stick shift. I've had to explain the whole clutch/shifting thing. Some had never even rode a multi-speed bicycle (those who did at least understood the concept of shifting). Can't remember the last time I got into a new-ish car (other than an enthusiast's sports car) that had a stick shift. (I would love to try one of the auto-DCT goldwings myself!)

Also I understand the need for utility, and the financial burden of having a bike and a car (thus two insurance payments and maintenance costs). Easier for older people with a bit more income. Lots of folks on scooters as there is no shifting and no insurance (there is a cottage industry here hopping up 50CC machines).

Finally, not really the millennials but the old guys I work with don't ride because the requirements of the base safety department - everyone has to do MSF, and ride with all the gear including a reflective vest. Doesn't bother me a bit but some of the "tough guys" would rather drive their cars than "put on all that safety crap".

I commute daily on my bike, and a few folks have followed suit (most were old riders whose Harleys have been sitting in the garage collecting dust, but one new millennial also). However I just don't see what would drive young folks down to the dealer for a new bike when really good used ones are available.

-RH

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 03/10/18 at 03:08:13

A couple days ago I went and picked up an enclosed trailer that I was borrowing from a friend, and there was a Harley dealer right across the street.  I thought I might as well go in and look around, as I had never been to that dealer before.  So.......I pulled into the parking lot with a truck and trailer and went into look around.

They had a nice selection of new and used bikes, and there were 3 salesman, a fellow behind the parts counter, and a lady behind the counter where the clothing was.

The fellow asked me if I currently had a bike, what it was, etc.  Then he took me over and showed me a Sporster model called a Roadster that was a lightly used and well modified bike.  It had mid mount pegs, a Vance and Hines stainless exhaust, big cams......and the bike was dyno's and made 85 HP.  Of all the bikes there is would have been the one that most suited my riding style....they even pushed it outside and fired it up so I could hear it run!

They were not pushy and were very knowledgeable about their bikes - it was obvious they wanted to sell me a bike on a cold, snowy Thursday!  It is a bit sad to think that they likely will be struggling to keep their jobs in the coming months/years.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/10/18 at 05:54:45

A little off topic but one of my brothers has a HD Sportster 1200cc, the Roadster model.  It's a nice bike, well made, good finish and good looking, I like it but it doesn't fit me.  The pegs are only slightly forward which I like but I think I would move them a bit, they hit my legs when stopped.  What I don't like is the weight and the center of gravity that seems a little high.  So I can ride my Guzzi that generally outperforms it and weighs a hundred pounds less and costs less so why buy the Harley.  A guy down the street is giving up riding at 77 yrs old and selling his 883cc sportster but it is about the same weight as the 1200cc so I'll pass on that deal.

Lots of older guys like my neighbor are giving up their Harleys and they are flooding the market.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 03/10/18 at 08:03:05

Dave wrote on 03/10/18 at 03:08:13:
A couple days ago I went and picked up an enclosed trailer that I was borrowing from a friend, and there was a Harley dealer right across the street.  I thought I might as well go in and look around, as I had never been to that dealer before.  So.......I pulled into the parking lot with a truck and trailer and went into look around.

They had a nice selection of new and used bikes, and there were 3 salesman, a fellow behind the parts counter, and a lady behind the counter where the clothing was.

The fellow asked me if I currently had a bike, what it was, etc.  Then he took me over and showed me a Sporster model called a Roadster that was a lightly used and well modified bike.  It had mid mount pegs, a Vance and Hines stainless exhaust, big cams......and the bike was dyno's and made 85 HP.  Of all the bikes there is would have been the one that most suited my riding style....they even pushed it outside and fired it up so I could hear it run!

They were not pushy and were very knowledgeable about their bikes - it was obvious they wanted to sell me a bike on a cold, snowy Thursday!  It is a bit sad to think that they likely will be struggling to keep their jobs in the coming months/years.

What did they want for it?
What does it weigh?
Did you think it was a good deal?
Was the lady good looking?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:34:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why motorcycle sales are falling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.