Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why motorcycle sales are falling (Read 347 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Why motorcycle sales are falling
02/25/18 at 18:56:59

This appeared on the wildguzzi.com forum posted by Guzzistajohn. If you happen to be a millennial don't take it personally, us old guys have been the butt of jokes since the beginning of jokes.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles, Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any. A recent study found the reasons why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:
1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.
2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.
3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.
4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.
5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.
6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.
7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.
8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get educated in gender studies .
9. They are allergic to fresh air.
10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.
11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.
12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.
13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.
14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.
15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.
16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.
17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.
18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.
19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.
20. They would need to upgrade before the in-transit expired.
21. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.
22. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

I don't know what number 20 means either.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Why motorcycle sales are falling
Reply #1 - 02/25/18 at 22:38:09

I'm an early GenX ... I wish I could take selfies while riding!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 02/25/18 at 22:41:07

I'm also the father of two millennial boys (one is now a tradesman, and the other is a computer genius) and a millennial girl (she runs a plant-equipment service centre) ... I don't recognise any of the above-mentioned millennial-traits  Wink

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/26/18 at 03:18:14

IslandRoad wrote on 02/25/18 at 22:41:07:
I'm also the father of two millennial boys (one is now a tradesman, and the other is a computer genius) and a millennial girl (she runs a plant-equipment service centre) ... I don't recognise any of the above-mentioned millennial-traits  Wink

It is probably more applicable to the US population of said group.
A lot of whom are rather spoiled and self absorbed, with no idea of the life most of the people of the world have to scratch for; those living in dictatorial regimes; being killed for merely speaking a word or daring to step outside of the lines; having to literally fight for your life on a daily basis.

« Last Edit: 02/27/18 at 06:53:15 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 02/28/18 at 00:21:06

If all these reasons are the case, maybe the millenials don't think motorcycling is "cool" to use that nasty, pathetic, obnoxious, and I could say cruder thing, word.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 03/02/18 at 14:29:50

The real reason is MONEY, the young people start working at Mikey d's or have collage loans for thousands ,they have the choise of a car or motorcycle to get them to work or play. Which one they choose might depend on climate , or needs of a young, person,  couple or family, and they don't have enough money for both a  car and a bike.Most would opt for a car. Getting a motorcycle license isn't as easy as getting a car license. There are fewer places to learn and it's much easier to turn a steering wheel in a car, than balance a bike a low speed. Buying a new bike ,hoping not to dump it while learning how to ride, and hoping to pass the road test might be a bit too intimidating for some.Bikes that you can ride without a MC license in N.Y. are limited to 50cc and top speeds of 25mph ,most of these bike cost around $2000 and are limited to secondary roads/urban streets.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/02/18 at 15:34:53

I've thought about it a while. At first I didn't have a clue, but maybe now I do.
My generation ENJOYED being outside. A Bicycle was freedom. And the sensation of the wind , speed and the feeling of leaning through a corner was something that nothing But two wheels would deliver.
We're starting to see a generation of children reaching adulthood who lived in the house playing games more than being outside with a herd of kids playing football and baseball and riding their bikes places that would have Freaked their parents OUT.
They don't look at two wheels and Feel anything . They simply can't relate.
I can see it as a long term trend, ending in motorcycle riders being very rare, barring a cultural change, we are effectively dinosaurs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 03/02/18 at 16:44:06

Whenever an economy tanks things come down to dollars, and used bikes are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run and easier to park, sometimes avoiding parking fees or perhaps this is cheaper also.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 03/02/18 at 18:41:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/02/18 at 15:34:53:
I've thought about it a while. At first I didn't have a clue, but maybe now I do.
My generation ENJOYED being outside. A Bicycle was freedom. And the sensation of the wind , speed and the feeling of leaning through a corner was something that nothing But two wheels would deliver.
We're starting to see a generation of children reaching adulthood who lived in the house playing games more than being outside with a herd of kids playing football and baseball and riding their bikes places that would have Freaked their parents OUT.
They don't look at two wheels and Feel anything . They simply can't relate.
I can see it as a long term trend, ending in motorcycle riders being very rare, barring a cultural change, we are effectively dinosaurs.

I reckon you might be onto something. What you say here reminds me of the opening, and closing scenes of the movie "On Any Sunday"

It's a motorcycle movie that opens with a bunch of kids on pushbikes, having a ball. And closes with Steve McQueen, and a couple of mates, mucking around on motorbikes on the beach.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/02/18 at 18:47:27

On any Sunday is a super cool movie.
It's t
The Endless Summer
of motorcycle racing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 03/02/18 at 19:22:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/02/18 at 18:47:27:
On any Sunday is a super cool movie.
It's t
The Endless Summer
of motorcycle racing.

That's a very astute comparison  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 03/03/18 at 04:00:03

I'm an AssToot kinda guy.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 03/03/18 at 09:59:55

Maybe a different take......

We live in a ulterior world of make believe, and if I just say, repeat it, enough, it shall come to be my reality.

It's like religion, folks bring their own witness, as proof, to their moral superiority, without the slightest inkling their actions belie their testimony.

I believe this mindset/belief, is a residual effect from the political correctness doctrine.
Where you promote a higher cause, based on assumptions, without interactions or challenge.

Not sure if that make sense, but hopefully you can see how I draw a conclusion from it  Grin

These malleable minds except a certain criteria that all their taught motivation is superior and true.
That it is solely based on fairness, and what is better for all mankind, etc...
When you think of motorcycle, it brings with it a lot of negative connotations, noise, rude drivers, hells angels, fat beer bellies, tattoos, greasy and unkempt hair  Grin

These minds of mush have been groomed to be better ambassadors of this higher awareness of civilized societies.
Where guns are no longer needed to settle scores, or protection, as big brother has seen to all our needs.
Indulgence of self, through whatever vice we choose, is except-able and encouraged so one can extend his awareness....

Riding a bike freely through the earths enviroment, with hair blowing back from our head, and experiencing a freedom from the grip of gravity, that all too often tries to pin us down to misery.....  

Is seen as a threat of independence, and a challenge, to the tyrannical endeavors, of those who try and control mankind to their own whims.....

Maybe?  Grin        

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 03/03/18 at 13:22:37

Raydawg . I think what you said may have applied years back ,'BIKER" brought the greasy tattooed bada$$  image to mind , but the Japanese invasion ,made a lot of change "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". Soon there were thousands of "normal "people riding bikes and that is still true today ,despite HD sales, most of which have been and are still being sold to motorcyclists ,not bikers. I have lost count of the number of times I have pulled over on the shoulder of the road to take a break or grab some water and have a cars slow or stop to see if I needed any help, I don't think our image is all that bad. As for tattoo's have you seen any 15 to 30 year old that hasn't got one?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 03/03/18 at 14:04:55

Yeah Batman, fair enuff.....
I can’t argue the tats at all, even beautiful skinned babes scar their flesh forever with some hideous expressions.

Fine, back to the drawing board  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:29:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why motorcycle sales are falling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.