Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Location of handlebar bag (Read 129 times)
kylejang

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Location of handlebar bag
02/20/18 at 17:20:02

Hello. Is it ok to tie up handlebar bag under the head lamp? I still have fork seal protectors. Should I remove fork seal protector? I check some pictures some people don't have protector, some people do have protector. Please let me know what are you think. Thank you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Location of handlebar bag
Reply #1 - 02/20/18 at 17:42:11

I have a black fanny pack strapped between the windshield and bars. It sits on the headlight. Hasn't been a problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/20/18 at 18:14:11

The odd thing is, we had one member who had a bike that wandered and wouldn't ride straight down the interstate.

We had him remove his tool roll he mounted on the forks....and the handling problem went away.

Just pay attention to what happens to the handling....most folks don't have any problems with a small tool roll, and Oldfeller even had a sleeping bag mounted on the front of his bike on one trip to Franklin, GA.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/20/18 at 18:48:43

Keep mine on top also on the headlight.  Never a problem.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 02/20/18 at 20:35:01

I've had a tool roll under the headlight for a few months now, with no problem with handling. However, the fork protectors rub on the bottom of the bag when the suspension moves. I don't think it will wear through though.

As for removing the fork protectors, I think the bike looks better without them, but I can't bring myself to remove them. They protect the lower part of the upper forks from pitting by impact from stones, this helps to maintain the fork seals. I'm all for style, but not at that cost.

I feel the same way about header wraps. I love the look, but can't bring myself to trap all that heat in the header, and potentially feed it back into the head!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 02/21/18 at 07:52:16

I have both. My tool bag on the front fender is secured very well, and I also have a TKAT fork brace that it sorta sits on so it doesn't ride or rub on the fender. Tool bag on the front is for things I don't need while in the saddle.  Bag on the handlebars is for things I need in arms reach (wallet, phone, garage door remote, etc.).

I left my fork seal protectors on.

xaft3.JPG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 02/21/18 at 07:53:44

Handlebar bag:

IMG_20160721_075939_003.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
kylejang

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/21/18 at 11:02:55

Thank you all for reply. I like use handlebar bag(tool bag) as fuel bottle bag.
There are couple outdoor brands make fuel bottles - MSR, Primus, Optimus.
I just wondering is it also safe to carry gasoline while I am driving.
Let me know what you think. Thanks Cheesy

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 02/21/18 at 13:28:41

Standing upright in an approved container, ok.  Laying down even in an approved container, bad idea. A lot of the approved containers have an over-pressure relief built into the cap and it laying sideways you'll spill fuel in your toolbag if the pressure gets excessive. If it is upright as designed, it will just release the gas vapors.

Other folks here that travel long rides with extra fuel will chime in.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/22/18 at 08:58:50

+1 regarding fuel bottles. Way too risky! Imagine an O-ring failure, and being sprayed in the face with gasoline Shocked. It can happen. Gas expands rapidly on warm days. Avoid. Next, I have had a cheap, small nylon bicycle bag by Bell (bought at Walmart) mounted above the headlight, strapped to the TT bars for years to carry tools and whatever. Works great, never a problem even at highway speeds. That said, I knew a woman who was elated to find a bike that she could handle, a Yam XT225. Nice, light dual sport, easy to handle and wicked fast. Went camping, strapped a sleeping bag to the handlebars, headed out on the highway, and lost control. Injuries were minor but the bike was a loss. Be careful!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 02/22/18 at 13:09:53

I have always been afraid of carrying supplemental gas on a bike or anything else for that matter. I shudder to think about what might happen.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 02/22/18 at 16:27:40

kylejang wrote on 02/21/18 at 11:02:55:
Thank you all for reply. I like use handlebar bag(tool bag) as fuel bottle bag.
There are couple outdoor brands make fuel bottles - MSR, Primus, Optimus.
I just wondering is it also safe to carry gasoline while I am driving.
Let me know what you think. Thanks Cheesy

I have carried MSR and SIGG fuel bottles for years in backpacks, duffle bags, canoe drybags and camping boxes. They don't have pressure relief valves, you just leave a small air space to allow for expansion due to temperature changes. Upright, laying on their side, whatever way I could cram them into the pack(s). I've never had one leak. My 30+ year old SIGG bottle has a dent in it where something was dropped on it sometime in the past but is still perfectly usable.

They are intended for fuel for camping stoves, but I see no reason they wouldn't be just fine for gasoline. They are pretty rugged, and the caps seal perfectly in my experience.

If I ever wanted to carry a little extra gas on my bike I'd use one of them, toss it in whatever kind of bag I had on the bike, and not worry about it. The camp fuel bottles are at least as strong, probably stronger, than the gas tank on the motorcycle.

I have seen, but never used, swingarm bags designed for bikes that have an outside pocket on them for just such bottles.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/23/18 at 15:39:41

And right you are, regarding the red MSR bottles. On my previous bike, a Yam XT225, I had a tail rack and bag with just such a pocket. I carried a 1 liter MSR bottle while commuting for years, as a back up to that incredibly small gas tank. Never a problem. But - I would never mount one on the handlebars. Just no logic in taking such a chance. It only has to go south once. And I did have a O-ring split on Rainier during a climb. Just too cold (or too old), I guess.

IP Logged
JOEL2014
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Reply #13 - 02/23/18 at 16:56:23

I just never let the gas tank get low. Fill up every 75 miles or so. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print