Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange crazy backfire issue that went away (Read 78 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Strange crazy backfire issue that went away
02/18/18 at 14:29:53

This has disappeared now but I'm curious as to what could have caused it. Now that both of our bikes have no issues for the first time in a few months we went out for a ride...

As the S40 had just been finished the gf gave it a wash, I don't know if it's relevant but the header is wrapped. After the wash the bike sat for a little while not too long. Then when we went out I was behind and noticed that it seemed to be, I say backfire, but that could just be fuel exploding in the header. Anyway it's the normal sort of occasional bang you get on the S40 except it was continuous and did not go away. After about 5kms it was getting worse.

Stopped and had a look and it would not idle just kept dying. I turned up the idle screw to make it idle and that seemed OK, then I had a blast down a side street, stopped and revved it up and came back, by the time I got back the idle speed was up so I turned it back down and after that it was fine.

The only thing I can think off was that the wet header pipe caused this, but then I can't see how that would make the idle drop down to nothing. So it's no big deal because it fixed itself but as I said, I'm curious as to what could have caused this. It was exploding quite a lot.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Strange crazy backfire issue that went away
Reply #1 - 02/18/18 at 15:25:57

EDU ,gf washed the bike. Water either got on the sparkplug wire, or was trapped in the recess around the plug and the spark was going to ground intermittently until you drove it long enough to evaporate the moisture.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 02/18/18 at 15:31:12

Just washed? Most probably a slug of water blocking a fuel jet in the carb that was able to clear itself. Or maybe some water in the electronics.

I don't know how you wash motorcycles, but I don't use the  high pressure coin op places or any kind of pressure washer. I also steer clear of spraying water directly on the carb(s), electronic modules and electrical connectors.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/18/18 at 18:39:49

I can't imagine turning just anyone loose with a pressure wand on a motorcycle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 02/18/18 at 19:21:23

OK thanks for those suggestions.

@Batman, sounds like if it's possible to ground the plug from a bit of water on it then it could be that. I just want to understand this so we can take more care, not that we don't already.

We do take care to use very low pressure garden hose, a lot less pressure than you'd get from simply riding in the rain. The silver covers are on, but that doesn't mean a bit of water didn't get under that.

Which part of the electronics would be susceptible to this. btw this has never happened before which is why I thought maybe a completely wet exhaust wrap may be the culprit although I don't know why.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/18/18 at 19:26:36

Left side, behind the belt. Those wires are important and vulnerable if not secured away from the belt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 02/18/18 at 20:53:14

Due to the fact that the missing/ backfiring is intermittent I would think it has to do with plug wire, the other things people said would tend to make the bike die outright. If your coil 's output is 20,000 volts ,that doesn't mean the plug always uses it, if conditions are near perfect the plug may fire using at little as 8 or 10,000 volts. the conditions in the combustion chamber are always changing even at steady throttle . If the next cycle is less perfect it may demand that higher voltage, and if the wire to the plug is wet or has a small crack ,or both ,the voltage may find a path of least resistance and ground out on the casing rather than going through the plug. The bike slows, you move the throttle, the fuel ratio changes, the swirl changes, etc . Conditions are again better and the motor starts firing , until it happens again. That's my guess. If the wire is over 5 years old I'd inspect it .If not it may be just a one time fluke.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 02/18/18 at 23:21:32

OK batman and jog, I will check that, maybe an early warning, like the orange oil!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #8 - 02/19/18 at 07:41:47

I have had similar experiences when I got some water in the carb bowl(s).  Not on this bike but others.  Water lays in the bottom of the bowl and intermittently gets sucked up into the carb.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 02/19/18 at 11:42:58

Now that I reread your post I'm thinking PIEDMONT BUDCKEYE may have the better answer, the gas cap is vented and water from the wash job could have entered and with the bike on the kickstand, would have headed right for the petcock.,and you did say it started 5 kms down the road and that would have given time for water to find it's way to the bowl. Where as in my case, the water should have been blown  or evaporated off the motor by then.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:40:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange crazy backfire issue that went away

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.