Send Topic Print
Need help for my Garmin (Read 65 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need help for my Garmin
02/15/18 at 13:37:14

I've been using a Garmin on my bike and have it plugged into a "Battery Tender" brand power cord, the type with the big round automotive style power outlet so that the Garmin power cord can be used.  The problem is that the Garmin periodically shuts down and restarts, sometimes incessantly and sometimes hardly at all.  And it does this even when it is fully charged.  It doesn't do that when used in a car.  I've checked and rechecked the connection to the bike's battery, looked for shorts, I've taped the plug on the Garmin to the outlet thinking it might be vibrating loose, nothing seems to help.

I have to run the Garmin at full screen brightness on the bike and that runs its' battery down fairly quickly so it has to be plugged in to a power source in order to last for the duration of a ride.  I'm wondering if maybe the charging circuit for the battery has something to do with it but the power cord (with an inline fuse) is bolted directly into the battery terminals. I use the Garmin on my Guzzi as it is the bike I use on longer rides.  Anyway, I don't understand what is going on and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Need help for my Garmin
Reply #1 - 02/15/18 at 15:36:39

You do realize that a battery tender does not offer full charging voltage.    It offers a very bare minimal maintenance voltage level to keep your battery from sulfiding or from boiling out.

And what 11.9 to12.01 volts it does offer to your battery are at a very low amperage.

Try charging your battery up fully with a normal battery charger and see if your Garmin issues magically go away  .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/15/18 at 17:24:38

Oldfeller:

He isn't using the Battery Tender to power the Garmin.....he is using the Battery Tender pigtail that is connected to his battery to provide the power to the Garmin (using it as his power connection).

Engineer:

There are a couple things it could be.  The connector that plugs into the back of the Garmin could be allowing momentary power loss when the bike hits bumps......or there could be voltage spikes that are causing you Garmin to do weird things (this is not likely as the battery is a pretty good buffer against large spikes in voltage).

Since the Battery Tender is routed directly to the battery....I doubt that it is any wiring harness related issue.  Do you have a second Battery Tender pigtail to try?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 02/15/18 at 17:32:48

I have a garmin in my car and it does the same thing, its the plug on the back of the garmin thats a problem

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/15/18 at 17:48:58

Thanks Yoshi, that could definitely be the problem because the wind hits it and its' lead and might be wiggling it about and breaking contact.  I'll try taping it down so it can't move.  That is the one thing I didn't test for.

Dave, I do use the charging pigtail for my power connection because it already has a built in fuse holder.  I probably shouldn't have mentioned Battery Tender because that confused the issue.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/15/18 at 19:06:28

I agree with Yoshi, I have a Garmin mounted on three bikes and they all have the cord secured to the GPS housing.  The mini-USB or whatever type its called works loose fast.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 02/15/18 at 19:41:33

engineer

Do you think 6" is too big ?   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Drive-60LM-Auto-GPS-With-Lifetime-Continental...

They come in 5" also  !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Nuvi-2597LMT-Car-GPS-5-inch-Bluetooth-Portabl...
Yea , all my years of Government Service has taught me how to solve any problem ... Throw $$$ MONEY $$$ at it ... always works !  Grin

I've had problems with the plug on my Garmin's too !   Especially the plugs that stick "Strait-out"   ,   I have one plug that turns 90 deg. against the back of the Garmin unit and I'm real proud to have it !  Wink  Hope you can find one on ebay (order two  Roll Eyes )

This helps :   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Motorcycle-Bike-Bicycle-Handlebar-Mount-H...

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/16/18 at 05:34:15

One of the issues can be using a long cord that isn't secured at the handlebar - every time you move the bars it changes the stress on the cord.

I have a 12V lighter power socket that is mounted to the top yoke, and a short 6" USB cord plugged into the lighter socket/USB adapter.....once plugged in the cord doesn't move and there is very little strain put on the Garmin connector.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 02/16/18 at 07:37:11

Yoshi wrote on 02/15/18 at 17:32:48:
I have a garmin in my car and it does the same thing, its the plug on the back of the garmin thats a problem

Ditto. My older model Garmin that has the power plug in the rear and PC port on the side did the same thing. Started crapping out and I ended up finding that something went awry with the rear port. Not a big loss for a $20 used GPS off of fleabay as it lasted me a couple of years. I just went after another newer one for $40 with lifetime maps, bigger screen in near mint condition.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/16/18 at 09:26:51

MMRanch:
My Garmin has a 5 inch diagonal screen and it works for me.  I tried some inexpensive mounts which didn't work well and finally bought a RAM brand mount and that works great.  It is a three piece set up, a clamp for the bars, an extension piece, and a special holder made for the specific model of Garmin.  The extension is about 4 inches and adjustable in all directions so that gets the Garmni up a little closer where I can see it better.
Dave:
I have my power socket secured at the center of the bars but I am still using the long and heavy Garmin power lead which has an antenna in it that picks up traffic reports.  All that is hanging on the tiny little USB plug.  So I think I'll get a short lead like you suggested, I don't need traffic reports out in the boondocks where I ride anyway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 02/16/18 at 12:10:05

My Garmin doesn't have the traffic function, so I can use any chord.

The only issue/problem I have with the short chord.....is that the Garmin sees it as a computer connection.  So it tries to connect with the computer, which results in a minute of wasted GPS time each time you power it up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:33:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Need help for my Garmin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.