Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
About backfire issue. (Read 78 times)
kylejang

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

About backfire issue.
02/14/18 at 15:53:59

Hello. I have a question about backfire issue. I am from Toronto, Canada.
Today weather was warm 5C (41F) so I start up bike outside and found something strange. After bike was warm up, gear in neutral, when I revving little bit with half choke on there was no backfire but when choke is off with revving little bit bike start to backfire. With my little knowledge opening choke will allow more fuel to burn right? So more fuel means more chance to having backfire? I am confused or is something wrong with my carburetor but I recently cleaned up carburetor. If I am wrong please don't hesitate educate me. Thank you everyone who read and reply. Have a great day.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: About backfire issue.
Reply #1 - 02/14/18 at 15:58:37

Is it actual backfire, or just popping from fuel in exhaust? How is it when you're riding normally.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/14/18 at 16:47:59

I wouldn't worry too much about how it acts before it's been ridden long enough to get it up to operating temperature.
As long as it will fire up without drama, it's not too far away from good.
Don't idle it on the sidestand.
That starves the cam of oil.
Get it fired up and ride away gently.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/14/18 at 17:16:27

The backfire when you close the throttle results because the closed butterfly and slide has closed all the fuel flow except for the idle circuit...however the high vacuum caused by the closed throttle and revving engine causes a lot of air.......which results in the fuel air mixture being too lean to burn in the cylinder - but it can be ignited in the exhaust.  When the choke is "ON" it does richen the mixture a bit and there will be less backfire - however the mixture likely is too rich for good performance of the bike once warmed up.

The bike is primitive....it can backfire when you close the throttle.  You can reduce that by being more gentle closing the throttle.....close it slower and if the bike backfires when decelerating - just add a tiny amount of throttle and the noise will stop.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/14/18 at 17:31:59

Yup,.. what Dave said...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kylejang

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/14/18 at 19:37:13

Weather was nice but snow was everywhere so I haven't chance to ride. What is the difficult between popping sound from exhaust and backfire?  When I heard the sound it doesn't sound like consistent for example I know consistent potato sound for Harley Davidson.
How about turn fuel mixture screw to more lean side it will help?
When I was cleaning carburetor I found out previous owner(I am 6th) already removed plug and set fuel mixture to rich position(I checked spark plug and found out tip and front side is all black so I replaced) as a now I think I set up mixture screw back to neutral position no hesitation but not high revving at neutral gear. Please let me know what you thinking.  Thank you.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 02/14/18 at 20:59:28

I think you should read up on how to adjust the mix screw. and you adjust idle speed with the screw on the other side of the carb, the knurled one with the spring on in it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 02/15/18 at 00:19:31

The carb is subject to atmospheric conditions. My bike will after-fire (pop from the muffler) on a cool morning before a hot day. The rest of the time it doesn't. Look for a good average setting when you tune it.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #8 - 02/15/18 at 07:34:47

IMHO, the popping and backfiring is caused by too lean a situation when very cold due to not enough choking.   The engine as explained above hasn't had time to fully warm up & on real cold days, that time is really extended!

I took mine out last week on around 30 Deg. morning, and a full choke wouldn't keep it running until the third start, then, the popping didn't stop for about 8 miles.  I usually never have any problem like that when temp is around 45 Deg. or above!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:24:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › About backfire issue.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.