Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copper cancer killer is not starting. (Read 103 times)
Mikel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Copper cancer killer is not starting.
02/07/18 at 17:53:05

Hi guys. First time bike builder, but over 20 yrs exp on automotive. I took on a 2000 ls650 salvage project to keep me occupied while going thru chemo and radiation for throat cancer. Paid $400 for it wrecked. It was her sons who laid it over very hard years ago. Put new flywheel, magneto, engine cover, badically all new drivers side engine. I believe the problem may be with the after market timimg module. I set it to tdc. And have .004 lash on intake and exhaust valves. So i dont thinnk it jumped time. And compression is good.
Black and white wires maybe not properly paired with orange and green?
Im stressing because i completly rebuilt the bike before getting to start it. I mean frame off and stripped and painted copper anf white. Looks bad ass. Have pix to send if you guys want.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Copper cancer killer is not starting.
Reply #1 - 02/07/18 at 18:20:00

When something won't tease me with a cough, I hit it with a breath of ether.
That should point you towards fuel or spark.
A battery good enough to spin it won't always kick the ignition.

What's your battery voltage while your starter is churning?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mikel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/07/18 at 19:37:38

Ive hit it with enough ether to start, and at first had some spit and sputter. That was while i jad the carb pulled off to rebuild, and just went straight through intake. Maybe a oil clogged exhaust. I saturated with wd40 and oil.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 02/07/18 at 20:50:03

Bust it loose at the jug.

And you wouldn't be the first experienced mechanic to set valve lash at  tdc exhaust.
Were any valves tight?

When you spun the crank , if you had a Clymer manual  ,it told you backwards.
CCW is the right direction.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 02/07/18 at 23:07:48

After market module? are you sure it was for the Savage? I'd test the spark by leaving a plug in the head ,and using a second in the coil wire held against the outside of the motor. You might also want to look at the decompression cable setting , there should be some slack in  it when not activated or the exhaust valves will be held open. JOG is right rotation is CCW (the same way the wheels turn)when setting valves at TDC , Clymer book is wrong. You rebuilt right side ,you might want to recheck the wires coming from the pickup coil ,make sure connector is clean and tight and that the wires that run behind the drive pulley aren't damaged. Pouring a bit of oil in the sparkplug hole may help seal the rings, prevent damage, and help build compression .
    p.s. hope your feeling better!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Mikel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/08/18 at 09:06:10

Im sure i had the tdc set for big bang. None of the valbes needed any adjust al at 004.
The aftermarket pickup coil shows good pulsing with led inserted amd inserted backerds. The computer side of the same orange and green wires show constant 3v.im workingnin swapping the two green and orange araound to see if that works,
Exhaust dump valve is set right. New plug. And still no bangeven with ether.
Exhaust full of oil and crap maybe?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 02/08/18 at 13:29:10

Bust the header loose

IP Logged
Mikel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/08/18 at 19:23:24

UPDATE!!!!! SHE RUNS!!!!!
My suspicion about the crossed wires from the aftermarket pickup was right. Swapped them around and sprayed it with savage breath ( ether) and she fired up very nicely. The gas tank and metals are int he house waiting clear coat and this baby is ready to finish up.
Thanks guys. Honestly it was all the info that ive soaked up from other posts on here, but this site rocks. Glad to he a member and ill post my build pix.
And the next time you dont quit feel like eorking on your project remember that its the hard work ee put in to ourselves that pays off in the end. This project was done to keep me sober, and to keep my mind off the pain. I dont think i have over a $1000in it, but so many hours outside with my hands.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:32:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Copper cancer killer is not starting.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.