Ethanol (Read 767 times)
JOEL2014
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Ethanol
02/07/18 at 17:28:23

Will using gasoline with ten percent ethanol harm our precious engines over time? Anyone have any long term experience with this?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Ethanol
Reply #1 - 02/07/18 at 17:45:57

Ethanol is a problem for long term storage, but for an engine that sees regular use a 10% concentration will not effect performance provided the engine is jetted for that mixture.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/08/18 at 03:53:49

I agree with Gary.  If the E10 fuel is in a vehicle that you use regularly, and you use the fuel in the tank up every month.....you shouldn't have any problems.  The ethanol issues show up as corrosion when the fuel is not used regularly and the fuel get a chance to begin to decompose.  In a climate controlled environment the degradation is delayed a bit - if the bike is stored outdoors and subject to the heating/cooling/moisture swings the problems can show up pretty quickly.  The big issue is when the gasoline portion of the fuel in the carb float bowl begins to evaporate, and the concentration of the ethanol in the float bowl increases.......the ethanol is corrosive to aluminum and also absorbs water from the atmosphere.

If you are going to leave the bike stored for a while - drain the float bowl to eliminate the chance of corrosion in the carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/08/18 at 09:08:21

Or just use a fuel stabilizer. I do regularly, and have had my S40 since 2012 with no problems. Cuts down on backfiring, too.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #4 - 02/08/18 at 09:15:07

Has anyone tried to run on pure ethanol? We have E85 here, which is 85% ethanol. Needs some jet changes at least, but with a high compression piston it should work quite well.

IP Logged
JOEL2014
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Reply #5 - 02/08/18 at 13:47:35

CorpHAPPYDAN wrote on 02/08/18 at 09:08:21:
Or just use a fuel stabilizer. I do regularly, and have had my S40 since 2012 with no problems. Cuts down on backfiring, too.

What stabilizer do you use?

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/10/18 at 20:32:05

STA-BIL. I get it at Walmart. Most motorcycle dealers sell some other types that are supposed to be made specifically for motorcycles. The alleged damaging effects of ethanol (E10 gas) on small engines are well documented, albeit controversial. Previously, I owned a Yamaha XT225, which would not start if untreated gas (E10) had been left in the carburetor for more than a week. I got frustrated with it and traded it off before I found out what the simple problem was. Manufacturers claim newer engine designs are not affected.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 02/10/18 at 20:41:43

Ethanol sucks. We are saddled with it by government edict.

Here in El Paso pure gas is unavailable. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
JOEL2014
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Reply #8 - 02/11/18 at 12:19:26

HAPPYDAN wrote on 02/10/18 at 20:32:05:
STA-BIL. I get it at Walmart. Most motorcycle dealers sell some other types that are supposed to be made specifically for motorcycles. The alleged damaging effects of ethanol (E10 gas) on small engines are well documented, albeit controversial. Previously, I owned a Yamaha XT225, which would not start if untreated gas (E10) had been left in the carburetor for more than a week. I got frustrated with it and traded it off before I found out what the simple problem was. Manufacturers claim newer engine designs are not affected.

Thanks! I will give it a shot since the engine is new. I want to start out right.

IP Logged
JOEL2014
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Reply #9 - 02/11/18 at 12:21:54

norm92de wrote on 02/10/18 at 20:41:43:
Ethanol sucks. We are saddled with it by government edict.

Here in El Paso pure gas is unavailable. :'(

Oh it's available in South Carolina alright but it is about 3.50 a gallon..

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 02/11/18 at 22:11:18

All things being equal ,if your bike got 50 mpg on straight gas ,you'd get 48.3 on E10 ,pity the guy running E85 he'd be getting 35.8 mpg.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/12/18 at 09:50:01

It's a pure genius thing to
Raise a crop
To make alcohol
Genius..
Making alcohol from waste
Provided transportation costs don't eat the value of it
Makes sense.
I wonder what pesticides get used on the Non Food crop.
How many people are making a living, how many tractors, how much fuel, how much water,
I don't think it's anywhere near the benefit we were told.
But, that's critical thinking.. and not many people engage in that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #12 - 02/12/18 at 15:32:44

Ethanol requirements are and have always been a gift to the grain belt, and, by extension Monsanto. Corn is a stupid crop from which to make ethanol, but we're really really good at growing it, particularly in "Round-up Ready" form. Between the corporate dollars backing it and the early timing of the Iowa primary, neither party wants to touch it.

Still looking...
  IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #13 - 02/12/18 at 16:18:40

You can run E85 in them you just need to flush the card at the end of the year or take it apart clean it and put it back on it will run cooler and make a Lil more torque but you will have to rejet it to run E85. Running E10 the problem is people let it sit in the tank and then it eats ship if you're not running it enough or let it sit all winter I delete stuff up but if you're riding it through the summer and then when you go to store either put 110 race gas in it with LED and run it through the carb little bit or put 91 clear no ethanol for storage I like using the 110 race gas because it Lubes everything up so it doesn't dry out

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 02/13/18 at 08:42:02

"cost for corn based ethanol should be $2.53/gal. but on equivalent energy basis , (2/3 THAT OF GASOLINE) the cost is $3.80/gal ." so if three gallons of gas would take you 100 miles, you'd need 4 gallons of ethanol.3 gallons Gas at $3.50 a gal (avg?)-$10.50, ethanol at the price  stated above $11.40. so you can save oil ,but it 's not cheap!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 02:39:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ethanol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.