Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New Telescopes mean seeing new stuff (Read 376 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: New Telescopes mean seeing new stuff
Reply #45 - 02/27/18 at 15:51:43

IslandRoad wrote on 02/27/18 at 11:06:42:
LANCER wrote on 02/27/18 at 06:45:53:
Quote:
 raydawg wrote on Today at 09:30:53:

Question:

I tried for many years to grapple with the question "What is the meaning of life?" Then, one day I asked myself, is that even a sensible question? What if life is its own meaning? What if what I feel, and think, and experience are enough?

I think that there is a meaning for our life here.
Have you wondered where your soul/spirit come from ?
Why do "I" exist ?  
My self awareness ?

Why am I not like a weed, just being there for a moment; or a worm, just going about eating dirt and leaving a trail of fertilize ?
Why do I know I exist and am cable of asking questions about things unknown ?
That absolutely unique quality was placed within us.

That absolutely unique quality was placed within us.

That is an interesting claim. I'm interested in why you think that  Smiley

The human race is the only form of life, of the millions on this planet, who have self awareness; that ability to consider ones own existence and ask questions about why we are here, if there is a purpose beyond just going about daily life until we die, and is there existence or life after this one ends ?
That ability is the unique quality I spoke of.
It was placed in us by God when we were created.

Our soul is made up of the mind (intellect), will and emotions.

The spirit is a part that is added by God alone, when a person acknowledges the existence of God, admits being a sinful being (sin is the breaking of any of Gods laws as laid down in the 10 Commandments, and every person on this planet has done so, except for one), asking forgiveness and inviting Jesus to come into your heart to save you.  
When that decision is made from your heart, not just lip service, Jesus will come in to your heart and make alive your spirit.  You are at that moment adopted into Gods family as a child of His for eternity.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #46 - 02/27/18 at 16:47:15

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Lancer.

On your explanation of the soul, I'm going to have to leave that part of our disussion where it is. I can se that we have such differing perspectives at an ontological level, such that there would be no common ground to form the foundations of a discussion. We are starting from such different places.  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #47 - 02/28/18 at 08:50:35

IslandRoad wrote on 02/27/18 at 16:47:15:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Lancer.

On your explanation of the soul, I'm going to have to leave that part of our disussion where it is. I can se that we have such differing perspectives at an ontological level, such that there would be no common ground to form the foundations of a discussion. We are starting from such different places.  Smiley

I understand, and thank you for your thoughtfulness. 
Perhaps one day we will be closer on that level.
Have a good day and ride safe.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #48 - 03/03/18 at 21:28:52

@OF

They now know that the expansion coefficient is variable and suspect that the speed of light may actually change slightly due to matter density and that the rate of expansion of space time can take place at rates of millions of times the speed of light.

The speed of light is only at its maximum in a vacuum, it already slows down when going through stuff, for example the speed of light in glass is a lot slower, in fact high energy sub atomic particle do travel at faster than the speed of light in glass and emit shockwaves like a supersonic plane except they are light, called chernenkov radiation.

Also the speed of light was only ever related to objects within spacetime, there was never a constraint on the expansion of spacetime itself. In fact the postulated initial inflation of the universe was that it expanded maybe 40 orders of magnitude at least, in close to the planck time. So that's an expansion of a trillion trillion trillion times in a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second. Which is definitely faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #49 - 03/03/18 at 21:41:05

@LANCER, you ask...

Where did YOU come from ?

But you miss the obvious question which exactly is this 'I' of which you refer.

Here's a thought, the world is divided into two things, that is 'I' and 'not I', there is no third thing.

But you say 'what about god' (leaving out the fact that 'god' has not been defined with regards to this conversation).

OK if god is 'I' (or you) then that the first thing, and if god is 'not I' then that is the second thing. There is no third thing.

You ask about 'stuff' which is a good question, the inquiry really is 'what is I' , what is 'not I' and what is god and what's the relationship of the three. We have just taken care of 'god' above.

So what is 'I'. Let's look at 'not I' first. This is stuff. What is stuff. Well this is what particle physicists wish to know. What is the fundamental nature of matter. They have come to the conclusion that matter is not real, 'fields' are real.

However if you look at what is 'not I' you will see that whatever you objectify is not you and further whatever you objectify is merely a form of something else.

A shirt is real, but it's only 'relatively real' is has not fundamental intrinsic existence, a shirt is just a form of cloth, which is a form of fibres which are a form of molecules, atoms, sub atomic particles, quarks, fields, concepts, which exist in the mind which is you.

In other words there is no 'not I', it's all you. All this is is existence, which is outside of time and space. Formless.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #50 - 03/04/18 at 00:03:44

eau de sauvage wrote on 03/03/18 at 21:41:05:
@LANCER, you ask...

Where did YOU come from ?

... We have just taken care of 'god' above ...

Well that was easy!  Shocked

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:34:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Telescopes mean seeing new stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.