Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New Telescopes mean seeing new stuff (Read 376 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New Telescopes mean seeing new stuff
Reply #30 - 02/26/18 at 13:30:14

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/26/18 at 11:52:38:

LANCER wrote on 02/26/18 at 08:15:56:
What is the diameter of the universe that we can see so far ?

92 Billion light years in diameter,  as of this week anyway.    We can see  "46 Billion radial years back in time"  in other words, looking in any one direction (and we can look in six opposing directions back at least that far).   Age of the Universe has jumped up from the <6 billion years old when we were in grade school, in stages, past 13.77 Billion and now jumping up to 46 Billion years old.    

......  durn them telescope upgrades, they are really making a mess of things you know  ......

When the new "Hubble type" larger space telescope gets all set up and working good expect it to all change up all over again.  

Yep - just wait until JWST!!

Or one of the new even larger ground based arrays gets up and going .......   same thing -- bigger/older.

Just count on the size and the "age" to increase and the various nutso theories and unproven un-seen & unidentified dark stuff fudges get wilder and wilder and wilder.

Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #31 - 02/26/18 at 15:35:04

Has anyone speculated on the speed at which the universe is expanding ?
Seems of late they (scientific community) have decided that it is not slowing down.
So is it steady state or increasing ?
And, if the speed is changing,  has it always been at the same rate ?
I don't think we have a clue.
Looking at an image across billions of light years and thinking we have figured out how to measure something out there that is no longer where we thought is was ?  Seems like trying to shoot ducks with a blind fold on and wearing one of those silencing headsets.  

Light year...  traveling at 186,000 miles/second.
So one year gives us 5,865,696,000,000 miles traveled in one year.
And the current known universe is 92 billion light years.
So almost 5.8x10 to the 12th X 92x10 to the 9th = 5.4x10 to the 21st.  Rounded off of course.
So we are looking at 54 followed by 20 zero's miles.
Can anyone count that high ?

And yet, everytime we build another Super Scope we just see more and more and more and more.  And that is in every direction we look.

If you go from a diameter of 46 billion light years to the current 92 billions light years, how much in total volume does the known universe grow ?  
Volume of sphere:  

If my algebra is correct that comes to 5.1x10 to the 25th cubic miles for a 46 billion light year universe, compared to 4.1x10 to the 26th for a 92 billion light year universe.  Is that about 10 times larger when doubling the diameter ?
Kind of makes your brain tired.

It is big, and if we do get another look farther out there we will see still more.
Which brings us back to the question...where did all of this stuff come from ?  All sorts of elements, made of tinier elements, made of tinier elements.  It gets down to the level of just energy; energy at various levels yields different things.  And speaking of energy, where did that come from ? And what keeps it going ?  Whether for 7-10,000 years or billions of years ?  
Where is it from and what keeps it going ?

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #32 - 02/26/18 at 16:20:20

Lancer, your question assumes it comes from somewhere. My brain hurts alot less if I assume 'it' is infinite and eternal (although, words like 'when', 'where' and 'eternal' can't really be applied to anything before the Big Bang - but we're stuck with our language which is embedded in Space/Time along with us).

I'm pretty sure we'll never know everything. But I'm happy to take my imagination along the path that, what we do know, points to.  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #33 - 02/26/18 at 16:23:16

Reply #24 - Today at 11:50:21 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote  raydawg wrote on Today at 09:30:53:
Question:

What element controls man’s destiny?

The phrasing of that question assumes its own answer. The term 'destiny' implies there is some sort of control. Maybe there isn't.

Then why search?

Merely a sport, a challenge, like fishing, or bar cruising?   Cheesy

If not destiny, then no motivation?

I believe our biggest quest is to overcome time.
It seems the one constant that limits, and constrains, man to his reality, which, is always changing based upon needs and perceptions.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 02/26/18 at 23:16:24

Rate of expansion of Space/Time is a non-question as distance and speed only occurs INSIDE space time.

Trying to apply Space/Time rules to the expansion of Space/Time is a mis-application and results in things like this.

Space/Time obviously expanded at a "rate" of HUNDREDS of Thousands of times the speed of light during the early Big Bang era (first few minutes anyway).

Astrophysicists now say Space/Time is still clocking somewhat similar but completely undefined  expansion speeds as we have no reference nor means of measuring it because we will never see the edges of it -- as that train is moving a lot faster than the boy on the bicycle who is trying to report where the head of the speeding train was a few minutes ago.   And the silly train is growing longer faster than the boy can petal, too, just to complicate it all a bit more.

Face it, science doesn't really know anything as they have to keep rewriting it all every decade or so ......    We learn so much more about the big stuff and more about the small stuff and more about the organic stuff at such a rate that in essence we have to start saying "we just now barely got out of kindergarten, it is all so complex and wonderful it is sorta hard to take it all in."

Microcellular biology is another brain expander.   Inside a simple one cell organism is a whole lot of stuff that just couldn't just happen in a pool of slime that happened to get struck by lightning.   Enough structure and functions and stuff to make your head swim.  And life doesn't get any simpler than a primitive one cell organism.

WE DON'T EVEN KNOW THE QUESTIONS YET, MUCH LESS THE ANSWERS.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #35 - 02/26/18 at 23:41:22

raydawg wrote on 02/26/18 at 16:23:16:
Reply #24 - Today at 11:50:21 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote  raydawg wrote on Today at 09:30:53:
Question:

What element controls man’s destiny?

The phrasing of that question assumes its own answer. The term 'destiny' implies there is some sort of control. Maybe there isn't.

Then why search?

Merely a sport, a challenge, like fishing, or bar cruising?   Cheesy

If not destiny, then no motivation?

I believe our biggest quest is to overcome time.
It seems the one constant that limits, and constrains, man to his reality, which, is always changing based upon needs and perceptions.

Well, I do like sport, and I don't mind a pub-crawl, but as for fishing, I'll leave that to others  Wink

I agree with you about time. However I equate time with death ... the Grim Reaper (Father Time). The fear is not of dying, but to have not lived before dying.

That, to me, involves not overcoming time but, more like, recognising it, accepting it, and appreciating it. Shakespeare put it well ... what is life? a tale told by an idiot, a fool strutting on the stage, full of sound and fury, and signifying nothing ... the brief candle flame blows out. Nietzsche put it another way "One day the last human on Earth will die, and nothing will have happened".

What does that leave us with as we stumble around this tiny speck of a globe in a seemingly infinite emptiness? To me, it is the quest for dignity within an impossible situation, that and to nurture the friendship and love of friends and family, because all we have is each other.

I tried for many years to grapple with the question "What is the meaning of life?" Then, one day I asked myself, is that even a sensible question? What if life is its own meaning? What if what I feel, and think, and experience are enough?

Funnily enough, as a result, I find myself constructing my own sense of destiny, based on what is important to me. And I am happy for each of my fellow humans to do the same. Through the negotiation that ensues, and the surprises along the way, I find that life is indeed worth living for its own sake.

To put it another way ... I wouldn't be dead for quids  Wink

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #36 - 02/27/18 at 06:31:13

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/26/18 at 23:16:24:

Rate of expansion of Space/Time is a non-question as distance and speed only occurs INSIDE space time.

Trying to apply Space/Time rules to the expansion of Space/Time is a mis-application and results in things like this.

Space/Time obviously expanded at a "rate" of HUNDREDS of Thousands of times the speed of light during the early Big Bang era (first few minutes anyway).

Astrophysicists now say Space/Time is still clocking somewhat similar but completely undefined  expansion speeds as we have no reference nor means of measuring it because we will never see the edges of it -- as that train is moving a lot faster than the boy on the bicycle who is trying to report where the head of the speeding train was a few minutes ago.   And the silly train is growing longer faster than the boy can petal, too, just to complicate it all a bit more.

Face it, science doesn't really know anything as they have to keep rewriting it all every decade or so ......    We learn so much more about the big stuff and more about the small stuff and more about the organic stuff at such a rate that in essence we have to start saying "we just now barely got out of kindergarten, it is all so complex and wonderful it is sorta hard to take it all in."

Microcellular biology is another brain expander.   Inside a simple one cell organism is a whole lot of stuff that just couldn't just happen in a pool of slime that happened to get struck by lightning.   Enough structure and functions and stuff to make your head swim.  And life doesn't get any simpler than a primitive one cell organism.

WE DON'T EVEN KNOW THE QUESTIONS YET, MUCH LESS THE ANSWERS.

That is for sure.  Barely out of kindergarten ?  I suggest we are still in the very early infant stage and just barely beginning to be aware of our surroundings.  No real understanding, just starting to look around.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #37 - 02/27/18 at 06:45:53

Quote:
 raydawg wrote on Today at 09:30:53:

Question:

I tried for many years to grapple with the question "What is the meaning of life?" Then, one day I asked myself, is that even a sensible question? What if life is its own meaning? What if what I feel, and think, and experience are enough?

I think that there is a meaning for our life here.
Have you wondered where your soul/spirit come from ?
Why do "I" exist ?  
My self awareness ?

Why am I not like a weed, just being there for a moment; or a worm, just going about eating dirt and leaving a trail of fertilize ?
Why do I know I exist and am cable of asking questions about things unknown ?
That absolutely unique quality was placed within us.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #38 - 02/27/18 at 07:36:09

"What is the meaning of life?"

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 02/27/18 at 09:48:00

This is a school and a testing ground. No pain ,no gain, isn't just true in the gym.

If you believe ,
ALL things work for the benefit of the believer
Then even the hard moments in life are meant to give us something. Some understanding, and open our eyes and those painful times Are the refining fires.

He disciplines those he loves.
What does that discipline look like?
Is that where we see what is called Karma? Does everyone get that visited on them? Shouldn't Soros have simply burst into flames years ago if karma was equally applied?
Trying to get that
Grand Unified Theory figured out is hard.
Maybe that's why nobody has.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #40 - 02/27/18 at 10:46:00

badwolf wrote on 02/27/18 at 07:36:09:

or ...42!   Wink

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #41 - 02/27/18 at 11:06:42

LANCER wrote on 02/27/18 at 06:45:53:
Quote:
 raydawg wrote on Today at 09:30:53:

Question:

I think that there is a meaning for our life here.
Have you wondered where your soul/spirit come from ?
Why do "I" exist ?  
My self awareness ?

Why am I not like a weed, just being there for a moment; or a worm, just going about eating dirt and leaving a trail of fertilize ?

Yes Lancer, I have thought a lot about all of those things.

Where did my soul or spirit come from?

That question depends on the assumption that there is such a thing as a soul (I assume you mean in the Christian sense - a spirit created by God which inhabits the body).

I am certainly aware of a sense of self awareness that seems to transcend the limits of my physicality. That seems enough to me. I don't see a need to complicate it more than that by adding the layer of another type of existence beyond the one I know I am experiencing.

Why do "I" exist?

That seems to me to be a superfluous question. I prefer "What should I do with my time?"

My self awareness?

That, I think, is a really interesting question, if you mean "what is the nature of my self awareness?". I don't claim to have an answer for that. That used to bother me - not so much anymore.

Why am I not like a weed, just being there for a moment; or a worm, just going about eating dirt and leaving a trail of fertilize?

Well, we ARE here for just a moment, by any cosmological scale. We don't eat dirt, but we are still part of the food chain, by which we destroy other living things to survive (and avoid being eaten by other living things) - ultimately we become food for the worms. And, I personally don't leave a "trail of fertilizer", but I certainly make my contribution to the fertilization of the planet!

I'm not really concerned with the 'why' of my existence - as in 'where did I come from?', or my ability to ask questions about it. That question just creates an infinite regress, because no matter where you end up, you can always ask, "well, why does THAT exist?".

That is an interesting claim. I'm interested in why you think that  Smiley

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #42 - 02/27/18 at 11:52:10

You're right, it is ''42'' not 41, I checked.
Yea, 6 x 7, thats right!
I thought Versy would catch that.
''Don't Panic'' and don't lose your towel.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 02/27/18 at 11:59:35

I was just giggling to myself... 41   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #44 - 02/27/18 at 12:18:59

badwolf wrote on 02/27/18 at 11:52:10:

You're right, it is ''42'' not 41, I checked.
Yea, 6 x 7, thats right!
I thought Versy would catch that.
''Don't Panic'' and don't lose your towel.

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:44:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Telescopes mean seeing new stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.