Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1998 Suzuki Savage.  First Bike Build! (Read 203 times)
Wilhelm211
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1998 Suzuki Savage.  First Bike Build!
02/05/18 at 15:58:55

Hey there guys n gals,
First post here since joining this forum and I have already read tons of great info on bikes.  I have a 2000 1200 sporty that is perfect for me and runs amazing. I just picked up this 1998 Suzuki Savage 650 last week and I am thinking about making it into a bobber project. Im torn between the hardtail look and keeping it a softy. Im decent with a welder so Im ok there, but I figured id post a pic of the bike and ill try to keep everyone updated with pics and info as I go. For now though If anyone has any input with which direction I should go please chime in. I picked this bike up for 500 and only has 6k miles. Ill try and get better pics but here it is!

image1.jpeg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 1998 Suzuki Savage.  First Bike Build!
Reply #1 - 02/05/18 at 16:23:10

I'd recommend putting a few thousand miles on it. See how it acts, maybe it's time for the cam chain tensioner, make sure it's healthy, then dump time into it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wilhelm211
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/05/18 at 16:37:59

Ill probably do the tensioner anyway while its apart.  Last thing I want to do is tear apart a bike and put it back together half ass.  I have already started taking it apart.  I want to rid the airbag and relocate the battery.  Once I get it looking not like a crammed up mess Ill be able to ride it around haha.

IMG_5412.jpg
  IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #3 - 02/05/18 at 17:10:11

Since you asked...where I ride a hard tail would be rather punishing...and I like a sprung rear end.  I vote soft tail using your welding talents to accomplish the refined bobber look you referenced.  So, MHO, for what it's worth to you.  

* NMSavage

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/05/18 at 19:03:50

I cant speak for any other configurations, but...

The stock riding position flat out sucked after any longer than about 30 minutes. My back forced me to make changes to enjoy riding my thumper.
The solution was both simplistic and affordable.
I got a 50$ solo, front hinged, rear spung seat and just fabbed up and welded in gussets for the springs to ride. 200% improvement!
I left the stock rear suspension alone. The combination of the spring seat and stock shocks make for a dang near air ride.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #5 - 02/05/18 at 19:19:16

Your preaching to a true beliver in me! I have over 40k miles on my set-up and it's the only way to do long miles.

IP Logged
Wilhelm211
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/06/18 at 06:26:57

Ok ill try the springer rear end first before I get too involved with the bike.  Do you guys have nay pics of your bikes?  Also where do you guys hide your batteries/ what type of batteries do you get so you can hide them lol

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/06/18 at 07:23:19

Look in the Technical Documents and Reference section, theres a ton of mods there.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259644714

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 02/06/18 at 19:57:59

Looking at the bike ,I would first get a real muffler , and looking at the bluing of the exhaust header you need to rejet the carb .Both of these will make the bike perform much better.I think it's more important to get the bike running well first ,then take time to make it into whatever you like.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Wilhelm211
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/07/18 at 12:45:01

@batman It ran pretty good before I took it apart.  It probably could use a carb clean, but since I had to rip the air boot and battery out already I figured I would do a couple little mods for now to get it looking good.  As for the exhaust, I know it needs a new one.  I think the previous owner cut it in half and then put it back together ANU.

IP Logged
Wilhelm211
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/13/18 at 16:14:49

So another little update.  Went to cheap thrills motorcycle show and swap meet in asbury park nj this past weekend.  Man it was awesome! so many cool bikes and great people.  As I was walking around I found this sportster looking tank in a guys pile.  It looked pretty decent and I figured I would pick it up for the savage and hell, if the savage doesn't use it then I have an extra for my sporty.  Anyways I have been hard at work on this savage and I got the tank mocked up on the frame and I hopefully will be permanently attaching the tank this weekend.  I also have a few more tricks up my sleeve for this build so stay tuned.

bobber_002.jpg
  IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/15/18 at 13:23:44

I like it so far!  Cool

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 02/15/18 at 13:48:12

I like Sporty tanks on the Savage.  Cool.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:30:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1998 Suzuki Savage.  First Bike Build!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.