Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dow down, frown. (Read 65 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Dow down, frown.
02/05/18 at 14:59:24

Dow Jones suffers worst day in over six years as global stock markets fall...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/05/stock-markets-continue-to-fa...

...the largest one-day points fall on record and erasing all the gains made so far this year.

How can this be when the Orange One said only last week...

More Unprecedented success for our Country, in so many ways, since the Election. Record Stock Market,
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/954843844402647040

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Dow down, frown.
Reply #1 - 02/05/18 at 16:01:59

Watching the people who don't know what is happening act like it's a tragedy is funny.
People leave stocks and buy bonds when economic activity starts leaning towards interest rate hikes. That cools the market. Have Any of you even looked at the Price to Earnings ratios?
The market is Oversold.

It's all trumps fault, but the run up was Obama's??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 02/05/18 at 17:13:22

What got my attention was stock buyback....
Companies getting to reset, in over stressed revenue.
It’s like folks who use a credit card transfer to pay off another credit card, then continue to USE the card with a zero balance.

I got a pretty good hunch just who of those who post here prolly have done this  Grin

Stock market is not a short gain investment, that’s Las Vegas  Grin

Clueless people uttering nonsense and spew to be part of a click will always be ignorant and at the whim of others.....bank on that  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 02/05/18 at 18:23:23

@JoG,

Way to miss a point JoG. That point being that if Trump is going to claim credit for the Dow doing well then he has to claim credit for this record fall. That's 'record' as in it broke all recorded records.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 02/05/18 at 19:08:38

And my post claiming it's his fault is correct.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 02/05/18 at 19:30:35

Now Jog......

I’ll take Janet Yellen anyday over the current crop.

Yeah, Trump needs to tone his rhetoric down, but that ain’t gonna happen in my life time.
He makes Obama with his I taking credit for sliced bread, seem like a humble statement compared to Trumps masterbation of himself  Shocked

I hope things settle down to “normal” now, I couldn’t stand another Trump term, but if the libs keep pushing Hollywood and academia keeps teaching hate, that jerk might get another term by default.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 02/06/18 at 05:13:55

Let's be clear on this, this is not just normal fluctuations this is the biggest stock market drop in U.S. history, when measured by points in the Dow Jones industrial average.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 02/06/18 at 06:16:24

But it is "only" perhaps a correction on a wildly overblown stock market run up based on our standard of morality, greed.  All the people (now that corporations are people) are happy that they have the green light from the party of "Pillage and Plunder" and are investing in their and various other enterprises. (( Monies they withheld (often overseas) while the Donkeys were in power and wanted more of that wealth for their own use)).
It should not be lost on anyone that when things improve for workers (raises, more jobs filled and more opportunities available) that the stock market reacts negatively.
As mush as I dislike the man, I watched him on the news the other day.   Orange man - hmm, do you think he is an Orangutan dressed up (or down depending on you evolutionary view) as a human?? Wink
The simple fact is most stocks are way overvalued when looked at through earnings etc.  
The pressure on the Fed will be to raise interest, which will at some time make investing in banks (rather than stocks) a viable option.  Is that a good option is questionable given the great bank failures in our short life times eg savings and loans , then the 08 banking derivatives failure. Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/06/18 at 06:52:36

Offering an objective, economically sound reply doesn't matter. It wasn't unexpected. It's NOT a response to a bad policy decision by Trump.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/06/18 at 07:58:40

eau de sauvage wrote on 02/06/18 at 05:13:55:
Let's be clear on this, this is not just normal fluctuations this is the biggest stock market drop in U.S. history, when measured by points in the Dow Jones industrial average.

Still not the biggest percentage drop in history...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_daily_changes_in_the_Dow_Jones_...

« Last Edit: 02/06/18 at 11:39:44 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/06/18 at 12:52:23

verslagen1 wrote on 02/06/18 at 07:58:40:
eau de sauvage wrote on 02/06/18 at 05:13:55:

Still not the biggest percentage drop in history...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_daily_changes_in_the_Dow_Jones_...

True - thanks ronnie!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 02/06/18 at 16:46:48

Take a years long series of bad policies and a chugging along market, Unburden it, throw gas on it, and Then it's supposed to only go up.
Either disingenuous or ignorant ..
I'm done arguing with you.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 02/07/18 at 10:46:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/06/18 at 16:46:48:
Take a years long series of bad policies and a chugging along market, Unburden it, throw gas on it, and Then it's supposed to only go up.
Either disingenuous or ignorant ..
I'm done arguing with you.

HAHA......

Pizzing into the wind are you Jog  Grin

I decided later in the year, to lock up some money......
Its silly to keep playing, risking my money, when I don't need it to live on.
I'll keep a big enough pot liquid just to be able to jump on a good deal, but I'll put a few hundred K into bonds, so my children have some modest funds if needed when I'm gone.

I already have about 20% invested there now, house is almost paid off, ( need one more year of write off) no debt, but this market is crazy on the emotions.
I don't like big run ups, or big drops, just steady....

I'm a cheap SOB, I hate losing money.
I don't horde it, no, but when I go to Vegas, its only 1 hundred dollars I play with, and when that's gone, its done.
If, I have any winnings, it goes into the other pocket, and pays for the trip, its quick, and over, if I hit, I get a nice payout, or I don't....
I don't keep digging a hole where it takes a bigger shovel to recover   Grin

You wizards keep up the good work, your wisdom is just stellar, I'm so mush wiser from reading a performance motorcycle message board...   Kiss

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 00:17:48

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Dow down, frown.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.