Livewire ? (Read 199 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Livewire ?
Reply #15 - 02/05/18 at 12:52:58

I still have a chuckle every time my mate asks me "When are you gonna upgrade to a Harley?"  Grin

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 02/06/18 at 08:23:57

"When are you gonna upgrade to a Harley?  

So , What ability does a "HARLEY" have that other bikes don't have ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 02/06/18 at 08:27:04

The ability to turn their owners into BLIND OBENDANT DRUELLING SERVANTS

Of course some say the Savages have the same ability  !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/06/18 at 11:18:32

"We have always done it that way" has been the downfall of many successful businesses. HD is no exception, apparently. They have recognized their target market is saturated, and have chosen to remove the "Black Leather" blinders. Congratulations. Now give us some good looking bikes with good performance at good prices, and offer them in some other color besides wrinkle wall black.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 02/06/18 at 20:57:30

The dilemma I'm in is part of Harleys problem.    I'm getting Older and need a lighter bike.  
so
I've got a Sportster , a LS-650 , and a Guzzi V-7II .
Well
The Guzzi is 412 #
The LS-650 is 360 #
The Sportster is 560 or more
One of them needs a new Home !   which one should go ???
They all three will run 70-75 on the super slab just fine , tank full after tank full ...
I see some folks getting a third wheel as they get older and know one guy that has a GoldWing with training wheels  even.   Thing is them extra wheels take all the fun out of ridding !

That guy with the TRAINNING WHEELS sure is comical to watch doing turns ... if you can stand to be behind him !!!  Sad

batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 02/06/18 at 21:26:17

MM strikes a point ,HD sold bikes to the baby boomers ,the largest market the country has ever seen , but we are all to old to be riding a bike that heavy. Where most companies are missing the boat is that the bikes that may be have the motor size and weight  to appeal to us are styled like "ninjas" rather than something with all day comfort. I don't know if I'd buy a Triumph , but they are closer to the style of bike I would consider, there are others.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 02/06/18 at 22:02:32

Batman wrote:
. Where most companies are missing the boat is that the bikes that may be have the motor size and weight  to appeal to us are styled like "ninjas" rather than something with all day comfort. 

The Guzzi V-7III has 53Hp and weights 412# , with standard seating and a 5.5 gal. fuel tank ... Its not a ninja by no means  !    Wink   Reminds me of a 1970's , light weight CB450 Honda two cylinder and w/shaft drive and a few more Horses !  Smiley  .... That don't vibrate !!!  Grin.
Italian Harley
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Harley started making a 750/500 , good idea but ... they made it sized for a 5'3" female  .    They just couldn't turn loose of the idea that "Real Men Ride 800# bikes "     I can just about hear the Harley CEO hollering " WELL !!!! DERN IT !!!! REAL MEN DO RIDE 800# BIKES !!!!! "

JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #22 - 02/06/18 at 22:07:40

I never understood the "Harleys are the only real bikes" syndrome, and I still don't.

I have no idea what the market for Guzzi motorcycles is.

At least here in Colorado, the used Harley market is iffy to say the least.  When I bought my S40 back in October 2016, I was also looking at 2007 or newer Harley Sportsters. Asking prices were $4000 and up, many well above Blue Book values. Some of those bikes are still for sale now. I was very interested in a 2015 Sportster 48 with low mileage, the owner wanted $11,500 for it. That bike is still on the market, now for $9000.

The 2007 Sportster I bought in August 2017 was exactly what I wanted ("Low" model, pearl white color, FI and rubber mounts, very low mileage). The asking price was $4250, but I bought it well under $4000.  I now see similar bikes for $3500 or even lower. The prices will go up this Spring, I assume, but I feel it will be a buyers market.

There does not seem to be much of a market for S40 bikes either. I see them on Craigslist, usually from $2500 to $3500, and they seem to sit there for a long time. I read on this forum about people getting newer S40s for $1000 or less, but the only ones I have seen locally for that kind of money were wrecks.

PS: I am a lot closer to my 70th birthday than my 69th, and I am only 5' 3" tall, but I am not ready for lighter bikes or a three wheeler yet!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 02/07/18 at 04:39:17

Not sure if this is off topic (it is).....but if the Harley factory folks were building cars with the same design philosophy as their bikes.......what would it be?

Engine and body design from the 50's updated a bit?

Would it be the Checker.....the car that was used for so many cabs?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 02/07/18 at 06:51:24

JLC wrote:

"PS: I am a lot closer to my 70th birthday than my 69th, and I am only 5' 3" tall, but I am not ready for lighter bikes or a three wheeler yet! "

Yup. I agree, I'm  taller than you, but not by a lot (5' 6") and I just turned 70. My Sportster is an '04,  one of the first of the rubbermounts, so it's pretty porky. Honestly though  the only time the weight is a problem is when I'm shoving it around inside the garage. The S40 feels like a little dirt bike doing that. When riding, I'm perfectly happy on either one.

I've never had a lot of interest in the bigger HDs but I've always been fond of Sportsters. However last fall I went to an open house at one of the local Harley dealers when they rolled out the new 2018 softail line. I have to hand it to HD. Those are some very nice bikes, and beneath the surface - they still look like traditional HD cruisers mostly, they are actually quite different from the previous models. They weren't doing demo rides that day so I didn't get to ride one.

I especially liked the 2018 Street Bob. Sitting on it and tipping it from side to side it felt lighter and less top heavy than my Sportster, even though it actually weighs a good bit more. The ergos were great for someone my size. Even the stock bars. which HD calls mini-apes, felt good. I's probably a good thing that I didn't get a test ride. Might have turned into an expensive day Smiley

https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-harley-davidson-softail-street-bob#page-2

I get that HDs aren't for everyone. They are what they are. I am somewhat amused by some of the knee-jerk hatred, and, some of the uninformed, criticism of the brand though.. The newer Harley's are very much modern motorcycles, with a lot of modern technology hidden underneath the styling.

In fact, because the new Harleys are modern motorcycles, not antiquated, neanderthal POS relics of ans earlier age is, ironically, the reason I'll probably hang on to my carbureted, air cooled, Sporty, with a cable operated throttle and clutch, and practically no electronics, except for the self cancelling turn signals, which I would be happy to do without.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 02/07/18 at 10:22:41

OldNslow    wrote :     I'll probably hang on to my carbureted, air cooled, Sporty,  

I had an 04 Roadster , and liked it till the crank splines going to the drive sprocket/alt. disappeared.   It was a 1200cc and while fixing it I found the crank was made out of Case-Hardened Mild steel , and there was no taper between the Crank/Alt. to tighten-up against.    
I  build a taper to tighten up on while I was welding and Dremal Tooling  new splined onto it , both matting parts to match.    I drove it around for a year after that and never had anymore trouble out of it.
Now I've got a 2007 883 (injected) that is perfect except the 2004 got better mpg and was more user friendly.
I've come to the conclusion that Harley built the 883 and got it perfect !   Then , SOMEBODY had the screwball idea to stick some bigger pistons in it and threw it a little out of balance and over powered the crank shaft.  
I'll admit I was running my 1200 like it was a sports bike , up and down the RPM range and pulling the power out of it then engine-braking into the turns only to pull it open again to "Peel" out of the corners."     I've done my 883 the same way with no ill effects.
I hope to sell the 2007 this year , and buy a 2004-2006 883 sometime.   Only trouble I've ever had from the 2007 was with the relay that runs the fuel pump.    The injector is not as SMOOTH as the Carb was either , while idleing in first gear .

Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #26 - 02/07/18 at 10:46:52

Harley built the bikes that their customers demanded. And in the 1990's & 2000's they couldn't build enough of them. They were so in touch with the core customer that they forgot about the rest of the market (actually, they had an opportunity with other micro-segments of the markets but never developed the Buell brand to its potential).

Now they are scrambling (almost a pun) to find a new niche market where they can find future-proof growth. A smart move...just a decade too late.

I think Harley will survive this change in demographic, but they will be a fraction of its former self for a long time. At least with electric bikes the nick-name "The Motor Company" will be technically correct.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 02/07/18 at 11:15:02

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that Harley built the 883 and got it perfect !   Then , SOMEBODY had the screwball idea to stick some bigger pistons in it and threw it a little out of balance and over powered the crank shaft.

I've never ridden a 1200 sportster, but I've been told, and read, that the 1200 typically shakes more than the 883 does.

What Harley really needs to do I think is figure out a way to get a counterbalancer in there without drastically changing anything else about the engine. Then go back to the rigid mount frame, or a modern variant (a mono shock even, like the new softails). That way they could loose 50 or 60 pounds and they'd still have a sportster that still looked like a sportster is supposed to look to old geezers like me, but one that didn't shake too much, and performed a little better.

If I could take 50 pounds off my '04 the stock suspension, which right now is barely adequate, would be upgraded without actually doing anything to it. It would make it easier to pick the bike  up too, if I ever knock it over screwing around trying to get the snowblower or the mower out of the garage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:34:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Livewire ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.