Livewire ? (Read 199 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Livewire ?
02/03/18 at 13:38:56

Harley Davidson has had a few bad quarters of late in terms of new motorcycle sales. They are even closing the Kansas City Manufacturing facility sometime in 2019 and moving the production from that plant to the plant in York Pa.

I'm not too sure that this thing is what's going to turn things around though.

http://www.cyclenews.com/2018/02/article/harley-davidson-electric-motorcycle-...

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Livewire ?
Reply #1 - 02/03/18 at 15:45:22

target: generation hipster/snowflake ! Grin

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 02/04/18 at 07:50:44

Hey, they are in trouble. Their traditional buyers are dying off. I give them credit for exploring new avenues.
If their street bikes were a LOT lighter, I might look at them.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/04/18 at 08:25:10

Put the V-Rod engine into a sport touring bike instead of a cruiser, revive the sport or adventure bikes that Buell was building (including a bike like the Blast), make a naked street bike that can corner and has some decent performance....and maybe you could get new customers.

After 50 or 6o years of building and upgrading the same old bikes....most folks who want a Sportster or big V-Twin have already bought one (or are getting great deals on lightly used ones).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 02/04/18 at 08:49:04

What will limit the sales of these bikes ,will not be performance in terms of speed ,but rather mileage ,and  access to charging stations. They may be less practical than a 2 gal gas tank on a sportster.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 02/04/18 at 09:13:08

Quote:
.most folks who want a Sportster or big V-Twin have already bought one (or are getting great deals on lightly used ones).

Exactly. I think that that's a big part of their problem right now. New HD's are too expensive compared to the really attractive prices of low mileage, excellent condition, used ones right now. HD is competing with itself in it's market niche. My Sportster is 13 years old, looks good, runs fine and hasn't given me a bit of trouble since I've owned it. I paid 3500 dollars for it a few years ago. Probably more than I should have, but it was a trade in that I bought from a dealer.  Craigslist it full of bikes just like mine in the same price range or less. Compare that to the 10 thousand or so OTD price of  a brand new version of essentially the exact same motorcycle and I think the problem is obvious.

I know quite a few guys that own Harleys. I don't know anyone who owns a NEW Harley.

I also think HD blew it badly when they introduced the Street models hoping to attract entry level riders to the brand. During the first couple of model years, those bikes got panned in the motorcycle press for some pretty significant issues, most notably really lousy brakes, and some fit and finish deficiencies. The Streets also had a fuel system recall that didn't help its reputation any. Those things have been rectified now, and the Street Rod version is a pretty nice bike IMO, but I think the damage is done.

The 2018 Softails with the new frame and the M8 engine are a step in the right direction, but again, they cost too much, and they aren't likely to attract many new riders into the fold.

IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #6 - 02/04/18 at 09:29:22

I think electric bikes, much like electric cars, need to be targeted at the commuter market. They can get 90-100 miles in range (at least, other companies have), which is plenty for most people for a daily rider, but not so much for recreational cruising. HD hasn't  built for (until recently with the Street line) or marketed effectively to that market. The eco-minded, Harley-devoted motorcycle commuter doesn't seem like a big market share. I'm also curious as to how they'll compare to what's already in that market.

Still looking...
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 02/04/18 at 12:50:02

Harley's problem is that all their bikes look like Harleys!!

And . . . they handle like Harleys!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 02/04/18 at 19:01:43

Yea , its that  " Idea " that "Real Men Ride 800# Bikes "  that I think will be their downfall .   I don't know anybody that can man-handle 800#'s like its 400#'s .

If their 750 bike was sized for  men instead of 5'3" women then they might have sold me one instead of me getting a  Guzzi V-7.    But , the Harley would have had to be as light or lighter than the Guzzi too !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 02/05/18 at 08:32:48

Harley's A hundred years behind the times and that's the way they like it. They could have offset the cylinders for better cooling(Yamaha Virago)and used two connecting rods in the same plane to preserve the "Harley sound", they could have gotten rid of the cast iron motor much earlier, they could have done a lot but sat on the hands . Now everyone else builds a better bike and sells it for half as much, who's to blame. If I didn't want a jap bike I 'd be looking at a Triumph ,has anyone checked out their new bobber?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 02/05/18 at 08:48:17

They're gonna' stick a really yuge playing card in the spokes... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 02/05/18 at 09:51:30

I'm hoping that HD can design and develop a product that will see them through for the next 100 years.

Then reality hits me and I realize that HD has the engineering know-how, but lacks the marketing wherewithal.

The buyer of this product has never owned a HD and would never own one. The brand has tarnished itself for motorcyclists not in the pirate/outlaw dress-up club. It will take two things for HD to succeed with the Livewire:

1. An outstanding product. One that isn't aspirational, but obtainable, and
2. An outreach to the community at large without pretense that "we are HD".

Number 2 is going to be their problem.

« Last Edit: 02/05/18 at 12:18:00 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 02/05/18 at 11:38:52

I am soooooo out of touch with some of the lifestyles that folks in the US have - some of it might be because I live in an area where the cost of living and wages are pretty low.

I cannot imagine spending $60,000 - $80,000 for a fancy SUV or pickup truck.

I can't imagine spending $25,000 for a fancy touring bike.

I can't imagine spending $10,000 - $16,000 for an electric motorcycle with a very short cord (range of travel).

There may be places in the world where the cost of living/parking/fuel can warrant an electric car or motorcycle - but that is not where and how I live.  I drive 12 miles to work with very light traffic and a tank of fuel in the Ninja will cost me $10.60 and get me to work and back 20 times (2 weeks).  If I make the same trip in the car a $31.80 tank of fuel will get me there 30 times (3 weeks), and I have free parking and my car is about 20 feet from my desk.

If fuel prices get really high, free charging stations become prevalent and I can plug in conveniently, the cost of insurance and licensing is really low for an electric bike.....and I can buy one for $2000 - I might consider it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #13 - 02/05/18 at 12:50:26

batman wrote on 02/05/18 at 08:32:48:
... If I didn't want a jap bike I 'd be looking at a Triumph ,has anyone checked out their new bobber?

I was looking online at the Triumph bobber the other day. Great looking bike! The faux hardtail was cool.

However the big radiator on the front puts me off!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #14 - 02/05/18 at 12:51:53

HD are also closing a plant here in Australia that makes wheels for them.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:44:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Livewire ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.