Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tricky Tricky! Vapor Lock? (Read 155 times)
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tricky Tricky! Vapor Lock?
01/31/18 at 10:59:59

First off, thank you to everyone who's posted something on this forum. I've pretty much checked it every single day of the last 6 months while I've been working on the bike. Sure, it's small but it's a ton of fun to ride. I've only ridden it a handful of times, but I'm already in love with it.

Now to the issue at hand... She fires right up. Runs perfect and smooth up until 60mph, and then I start having what I think are vapor lock issues. It'll start to lose power and then it'll die completely. Not the most fun on the highway, but it's at least been predictable, so I'm able to pull over without any issues. Now when this 1st started to happen, I had just finished putting the bike back together, and I had no clue what it was. The bike had been siting for 10 years, so I thought perhaps I needed to do a more thorough cleaning of the carb. Did that, and I had the same issue. I ordered a jet kit Lancer(awesome guy), and fitted it with a 55/155. It ran even better than before, but still the vapor lock issue. I then turned to the gas cap. (I've already replaced the fuel line, and I already have the raptor petcock installed.) The cap was filthy on the inside. I soaked it for a few hours and cleaned it. This freed up movement of the little ball that is inside the cap. I thought that would do the trick. It did improve, but I'm still having the same issue. Now I can feel it try to fight before it stalls, that didn't happen before cleaning the cap. I did notice that the rubber gasket on the cap is cracked in a few places. One way I tested the theory is taking the cap of as soon as I stop. Sure enough, it fired up every time, as if nothing were wrong at all. I take off and accelerate hard up to 60mph, and it would happen again. If I'm cruising up to 45mph, I don't have any issues at all, except a sore face from smiling too hard.

The bottom line question is, is it safe to assume that it is in fact the gas cap at this point? If so, is there anyone that a cap that they know is in good working condition and is will to expedite shipping to me?

Info on bike mods:
1996 2,500 original miles!
Custom cone intake tube, with K&N style cone. Will be replacing with an actual K&N soon.
Custom exhaust with baffle insert.
55/155 jets in carb, and I believe it external adjuster screw is at about 1.5 turns out.

I live in Atlanta, so according to the interwebs I'm about 800ft about sea level.

Any advice is appreciated! I'm ready to take this thing out for some long rides! I'll post more pics and the like when she's completed. I just want to get this issue resolved before I focus on anything else.

Bike_2_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Tricky Tricky! Vapor Lock?
Reply #1 - 01/31/18 at 11:46:02

That sure does sound like the gas cap. Here's a final test; get the bike low (1/2 tank or less) on fuel, remove the cap, and then put it back without "clicking" it into place. Place some duct tape on it to secure it in place and then go for a ride. If it continues to run, you have a bad cap.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/31/18 at 12:22:11

authentic yamaha raptor petcock?
5/16 fuel line?
no add on filter?

1/4 fuel doesn't clear air in the line well.
fuel filter with air in can vapor lock.

WWW   IP Logged
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/31/18 at 12:48:48

I'm honestly not sure if it's an authentic raptor petcock or not. It came with the tank that I bought from someone on the forum. I can double check with them and find out.

I'm also not sure of the the deminisions of the fuel line. I bought it from AutoZone. However, I've switched it out with the stock line and had the same issues with it. No filter on the line.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 01/31/18 at 13:59:28

With cracks in the gas cap gasket ,and after restarting and running up to 60 and have the tank vapor lock that fast ,seems to me very doubtful ,(if you don't hear a whoosh of air enter the tank when you release the cap after it stalls the tank isn't vapor locked.) IF the petcock is a true Yamaha part then that shouldn't be the problem either. It may be that your float bowl level is set to low ,did you check it when reassembling the carb after cleaning? Did you check the condition of the float valve and seat and O-ring ,did you check/clean the filter screen above the float valve seat?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/31/18 at 14:11:57

batman wrote on 01/31/18 at 13:59:28:
With cracks in the gas cap gasket ,and after restarting and running up to 60 and have the tank vapor lock that fast ,seems to me very doubtful , IF the petcock is a true Yamaha part then that shouldn't be the problem either. It may be that your float bowl level is set to low ,did you check it when reassembling the carb after cleaning?

I should have mentioned that my experience with carbs is very limited. Prior to working on this bike, I haven't worked with carbs before. That being said, I don't have the proper tool to check float height. I also wasn't able to remove the pin that holds the float. That is the only area of the carb that I wasn't able to clean thoroughly.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 01/31/18 at 14:22:46

You need to be careful with the pin ,it only slides out in one direction ,due to the carb body being soft metal you should try pushing it out, not driving it out!  then you can unscrew the plate and remove the valve seat ,the filter screen will be just above it. You need only a ruler to set the float level.

IP Logged
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/31/18 at 14:26:23

batman wrote on 01/31/18 at 14:22:46:
You need to be careful with the pin ,it only slides out in one direction ,due to the carb body being soft metal you should try pushing it out, not driving it out!  then you can unscrew the plate and remove the valve seat ,the filter screen will be just above it. You need only a ruler to set the float level.

I've tried a few different methods, but I haven't even able to get the pin to budge. I've tried needle nose pliers, soaking it overnight in carb cleaner, tapping 1 side with a nail and hammer, etc. Nothing had worked for me.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 01/31/18 at 14:42:17

If you make sure there is no fuel in the carb, you could try heat (no not a torch!) in the form of a soldering  iron ,placed on the pin briefly, or penetrating oil -(carb cleaner will not attack rust or corrosion as well)

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #9 - 01/31/18 at 15:19:16

If you put a clear hose over the drain nipple on the bottom of the carb and curve the hose up and then open the nipple up you will be able to see the level of the gas in the float bowl.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 01/31/18 at 15:55:26

Antmanbee, But that is a static reading, you'll need to start the bike in neutral and run at about 4000rpm(=to 60mph) to see if the fuel level drops due to a plugged screen. The bike pictured has no muffler and the jets are rather large, it may be going to wide open throttle is flooding the motor and making it die because the fuel mix is way to rich.

IP Logged
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/31/18 at 15:57:51

I was hoping the cap would be the simple solution that I was looking for  Embarrassed

I'll see if I can get the pin out tonight.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 01/31/18 at 16:12:22

Maine 413, Your new to the bike ,nothing to be embarrassed about!

IP Logged
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/31/18 at 16:20:25

batman wrote on 01/31/18 at 16:12:22:
Maine 413, Your new to the bike ,nothing to be embarrassed about!

I'm not embarrassed. I just want to ride! Lol

IP Logged
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/21/18 at 09:08:20

So I think I finally solved the issue! The screen was filthy. Haven't had any issues today. I'll take it out on the high way soon. Here's a before of the screen.

Screenshot_20180221-004849.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 18:40:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tricky Tricky! Vapor Lock?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.