Compression (Read 225 times)
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Re: Compression
Reply #15 - 01/26/18 at 19:14:33

batman wrote on 01/26/18 at 16:27:31:
Being older I'm waiting on someone to come up with a trike kit.

Guess what I'm thinking for the `96...
I've always wanted my very own Monster Cycle...
(anybody even get that reference?)

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #16 - 01/26/18 at 19:35:52

Christof13T wrote on 01/26/18 at 19:12:30:
GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 01/26/18 at 14:44:01:
With all the machinist on this board why has nobody built a Billet head yet or designed one?

Because as many of us have already tried to get through to you...
The cost and aggravation will NEVER yield the results to justify it.
It is a single cylinder, air cooled, mass produced for the best affordability/reliability platform. Not in any way, shape, or fashion an adrenalin junky's fix.

It was never intended to be a horsepower maker.
Come on man...
These things put out under 30 horses stock.

What you are proposing is basically pouring thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in design into a platform that can be picked up for a few hundred bucks.

That's like spending 20k$ on a 1k$ honda civic, building up so you can keep up with stock muckstains...

It's clown shoes.

for most of us... money actually means something.
Keeping the bills paid...
Things like eating once in a while are nice...

I just went through the motions to swap mine over to the 95mm high compression setup...
My bike had just under 4k miles on it when I brought it home...
It is a 2006.
I gave literally 450$ worth of labor for it.
I was able to justify the 650-700$ or so that my build totaled.
But it was only because the oem configuration failed on me and parts replacement was necessary. For what the bike cost me, and the parts... It was worth it for me to salvage the bike. It would never make sense to me to go any farther with performance modifications.

Seriously man...
If you have been on one of these above 80mph... You would not want to go much faster. The front end gets kinda squirrely.

Like others have said... It's your bike... Your build... Your dollar.
But to be honest... The questions you are asking lead me to believe less of your technical capabilities. Someone ready to stroke out one of these motors, and hit it with laughing gas... Should not be asking about compression ratios, bobber kits, or any other remedial mechanical discipline. You are entering big boy territory.

I'm not making an attempt to talk down from a pedestal man...
Just trying to reel you back in closer to reality.
These bikes have been around and pretty much unchanged since 1986.
If it could have been reasonably done... It would have been by now - 32 years later.

No you just lack the ability and the resources to do it next time keep your two cents to yourself.

I'm just trying to see what people have done to the scene to Max it out so far so I don't have to do as much research but obviously I'll put down in my notes you don't know what you're doing so I'll start from scratch have a nice day Tongue

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #17 - 01/26/18 at 22:14:08

Well ... that escalated quickly!

For heaven's sake, the guy just asked 'What compression ratio have you achieved' ... not how did you do it? or, what else do I have to think about?

Sheesh! Calm you're farm people.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #18 - 01/26/18 at 22:35:41

IslandRoad wrote on 01/26/18 at 22:14:08:
Well ... that escalated quickly!

For heaven's sake, the guy just asked 'What compression ratio have you achieved' ... not how did you do it? or, what else do I have to think about?

Sheesh! Calm you're farm people.

And I'm telling you I've never seen a forum with such a rude people who think they know it all it sounds like they're all f****** Machinist every machinist I know thinks he's an arrogant engine builder and can't build his way out of a paper bag they're good at Machining and that's it I tell you I've been to some forms before but all of this is bad these people do not know how to communicate and be a community I tell you that the only person I like on here so far a lot is Lancer. I like Dave because he keeps his word when he says he build something to sell he'll sell it but so far a lot of the other people on here are very rude and inconsiderate and think everybody that comes on here is stupid.

Yeah I know I don't spell good and I got a learning disability. In English. But I do the best I can but I don't freaking shoot people down when they want to build something and try and help other people better a product maybe that's the difference between the engine builder forms I'm used to and the people on this form they're all self-centered on here to wear engine builder forums we all work together and see if we can help each other out building the motor and improving the motor for everybody in the community.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #19 - 01/26/18 at 23:08:27

Hang in there mate. This is actually a really good forum. Some people on here have been really good to me.

Every now and then a thread goes haywire (mob mentality?) ... but overall its one of the better ones.

I thought your questing was really simple, and didn't deserve the kind of flack you received.

Sometimes people just get a bit of sand in their shorts. ... I can forgive that.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 01/26/18 at 23:49:10

look guys, time to lighten up.
whether or not he has the talent to get it there is up to him.
he's never going to take anything from you, so lighten up and enjoy.
This really isn't worth the aggravation and only detracts from the community that we enjoy here.
If you have advice, give it.  if it falls on deaf ears... so what.
Grab a bowl of popcorn and watch the fireworks.
We are a community that gives and encourages and I mean to keep it that way.
So... behave.

WWW   IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #21 - 01/27/18 at 00:27:41

I just love to make motors better it's my drug of choice. That's all. If I hade listen to everybody that talk bad about me building Motors over my lifetime I would not have the knowledge experience the records I have today by sitting around insane all this is too hard you can't fix this I remember when people told me it was impossible to get over 700 horse out of a 70 cubic inch motorcycle people thought I was nuts no way it'll ever hold that no way it'll be able to make that kind of power I prove them wrong now they come to me for making big Power and I used to be the one that everybody thought was nuts if you seen the modifications I have had to do to my Motors to make them hold horsepower you would think I'm nuts for that spending that kind of money on them. He'll my dad gives me crap all the time lol.    

I just want to make the motor like a Lil hot rod that's street able for people that want to have a little hot rod but can't afford the big bikes like the ZX-14 XI cuz everybody loves to Tinker and everybody loves to hop their stuff up even though they say they don't they like to put knickknacks on their bike or bobber kits or whatever I just want to try and make the motor the best it can be for people that can't afford to do it and just want to know can maybe afford a cylinder head a piston from Lance and them cams and maybe is a few other things because I know there's a lot of people that can afford to Super point of these but can't afford to soup up a big bike cuz you can sometimes get these bikes for pretty cheap.

And I can tell there's a lot of things I can learn from you people on this board about this thing so I don't have to worry about finding everything out by myself but with you guys and the people that I know in my ability I think we can work and get this thing to work really good because what it really does need you guys are right is a cylinder head and that's the main thing I'm going to work on once my buddy gets back from Australia cuz he can use CAD program I don't know how to operate that really that well.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #22 - 01/27/18 at 07:51:06

And once again...
Nobody is saying it CAN'T be done...
Do it if your gonna do it...

The resounding response is that the effort will outweigh the gains.
That's all.

It doesn't matter how many threads you start... Your intent is already pretty clear... So sh*t or get off the pot man.

Heck... An affordable stroker package coupled with a high flow head, and hard parts that could handle a naked 13.5:1 cr would be sick, and I would likely be in line for a set..

I'm secretly rooting for you man. I want you to succeed. Fortune favors the bold.

I'm not that bold lol.
If I still had access to all my machining toys I might have given something like that a go. But I know what it will take to pull it off... and there is no way I can do it in house out of my shop.

I'm sorry if I come across as rude. It is not my intention. I don't have much of a filter when matters of fact, and cost are involved. I just see a very difficult road you seek to set out on.

I will make one more suggestion on the matter and then I'm gonna leave it alone.

Get to know this engine. Intimately. Focus on beefing up the weak links. Figure out how to up the pressure and volume of the lubrication system. Waay more air in and out. Look at replacement studs and head fasteners. Fire ring head gasket. Definitely look into an upgraded timing chain tensioner.  
Versy's is fabulous... Or if you want to get crazy with it, there is another style developed by some fellow in Sweden, or Norway... or one of those Viking region countries that is entirely over engineered and constructed to withstand a nuke going off inside your motor...

Remember that any development will only be as efficient/strong as its weakest link.

Don't get in a hurry and let the weakest link be the engineer.... Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 01/27/18 at 08:32:25

If you're interested in a way out there design, look up "Rotary Valve Engines" by Marcus C Inman Hunter and then we can talk some conspiracy.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #24 - 01/27/18 at 08:46:03

GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 01/27/18 at 00:27:41:
I just want to make the motor like a Lil hot rod that's street able for people that want to have a little hot rod but can't afford the big bikes like the ZX-14 XI cuz everybody loves to Tinker and everybody loves to hop their stuff up even though they say they don't they like to put knickknacks on their bike or bobber kits or whatever I just want to try and make the motor the best it can be for people that can't afford to do it and just want to know can maybe afford a cylinder head a piston from Lance and them cams and maybe is a few other things because I know there's a lot of people that can afford to Super point of these but can't afford to soup up a big bike cuz you can sometimes get these bikes for pretty cheap.

So I’d like to respond to this without escalation. It’s not meant to insult you.

First off, I do have a lot of experience building things. Not just motorcycles. I’ve built a few hi performance aerobatic airplanes from scratch and have restored a few cars along the way. I’ve also hand built a few houses and have restored a building from the 1860’s. I know what it takes from a time, effort and money stand point to get things done. Now with that said...

The type of engine that I think you want to build would cost more then a new sport bike. From what you’ve posted I believe you would have to invest somewhere around $10-15,000 on the engine alone. Do keep in mind that once you have a 75-100 hp monster in an LS650, you will no longer have a rideable bike. At a minimum you will need an entire new front end (such as GSXR-600 forks, wheels, brakes, T-clamps), a custom made swing arm and significant frame reinforcement. Regarding the swing arm...a Savage only has about 2 inches of wheel travel. The amount of squat created by the torque your engine will produce will overwhelm the stock configuration.  You’re gonna have to go hard tail or fabricate a proper swing arm. Even if you go the easy route and go hard tail, you’re gonna need a very wide tire to put the available power to the ground. That will require a wider rim. Once the rim gets wide the rear sprocket (forget about retaining the belt drive) will be out of alignment with the front.  Now your engine will have to be moved to an offset location to compensate.

And this is just the beginning of the complications. This will certainly be a $20-$25,000 bike. Which is great if that’s what you’re planning.

Then I think about other recent builds we’ve seen on the Forum; beer budget board tracker, the guy from Italy that grafted a single sided swing arm and USD forks onto his bike and some others, and I’m blown away by the vision and craftsmanship.

I hope your project brings the same joy to you and to everyone you share it with. But to think that this is going to be a budget build for the masses... no way. This project will be the most expensive Savage build in history. If that’s the record you want to hold, you’re well on your way.

That’s just my opinion. Why don’t you start a dedicated build thread to chronicle your effort. Within that thread you can tell us how and why things are being done and then we might be able to understand your process.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 01/28/18 at 11:13:27

IslandRoad, I think your confusing "mob mentality " with general conscience .I think if you believe that ZX-14 is a talented builder, then perhaps you should pull and send your motor to him as he asked ,and let him work his magic .The answers given about the compression ratio ,were both truthful and complete, as no hard number could be given.( and cc-ing the head , may help others reading the post to learn how CR is determined).  If the reality of truth is to harsh ,Man -up! It shouldn't allow your opinion of us to be a "mob" ,nor  does it allow you the right to whine about not doing ZX-14's research for him ,or its total injustice.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #26 - 01/28/18 at 12:39:00

batman wrote on 01/28/18 at 11:13:27:
IslandRoad, I think your confusing "mob mentality " with general conscience .I think if you believe that ZX-14 is a talented builder, then perhaps you should pull and send your motor to him as he asked ,and let him work his magic .The answers given about the compression ratio ,were both truthful and complete, as no hard number could be given.( and cc-ing the head , may help others reading the post to learn how CR is determined).  If the reality of truth is to harsh ,Man -up! It shouldn't allow your opinion of us to be a "mob" ,nor  does it allow you the right to whine about not doing ZX-14's research for him ,or its total injustice.

'Man-Up"?! ... that's a bit harsh mate. Anyway, I'm going back to my reading.

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #27 - 01/28/18 at 14:42:00

batman wrote on 01/28/18 at 11:13:27:

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:36:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Compression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.