Windshield height (Read 152 times)
Roy Shirley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Burlington Ontario, Canada
Windshield height
01/25/18 at 08:36:40

Will the standard S40 Boulevard windshield be high enough for a 5'9 person or will it need modification? Looks like it is "fixed" at the forks.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Re: Windshield height
Reply #1 - 01/25/18 at 13:38:45

My S40 has this windscreen on it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-WINDSHIELD-2005-2016-BOULEVARD-S40-990A0-7000...
I look over the windscreen, not through it (I'm 5' 10")
It keeps the wind/rain off my chest but I get the wind in my face - which I want. I usually run with the windscreen removed.

There are larger windscreens if you want to look through it like
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SS-30-Classic-Windshield-Slipstreamer-SS-30-17C-OVER...

Carry on young fella  Wink

Bob

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 01/25/18 at 14:23:20

[quote author=2F686C2E33255C0 link=1516898201/0#0 date=1516898200]Will the standard S40 Boulevard windshield be high enough for a 5'9 person or will it need modification? Looks like it is "fixed" at the forks.[/quote]

That's right. You can slide it up or down a little bit, but not enough to make any real difference. I've had one on my bike for a few years, and it works ok for me. I'm 5'6" and the wind coming over the top of the shield hit's the top of my helmet. At 5' 9" the wind is probably going to hit you in the face." Whether that's a problem might depend on what kind of helmet/shield you wear.

The oem shield does keep the wind off my chest at highway speeds and makes it more comfortable to ride long distances. Bugs either wind up on the shield or over my head, rarely on my face shield. The helmet I wear - a Scorpion EXO full face - is noisier with the windshield than without it. But I wear earplugs almost all the time so that's not an issue.  

A 3 inch difference in height may make a difference though.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 01/25/18 at 14:26:36

While looking through the wind screen may sound nice ,it can be a problem in the rain, and can be worse with fine road spray from a vehicle in front , with no windshield wiper to clear it, With a face shield having more curve it tends to shed water more, and can be cleared quickly by wiping a gloved hand across it. I'm not a fan of windscreens but have used one briefly in the past, I think given the reasons above I 'd go with the shorter screen and a face shield as a way of getting the best of each. (opinion) Windscreens will cause some loss in mpg and top speed due to added drag , the effect is more noticeable on the Savage than on larger more powerful bikes. Great care should be used in mounting a screen , if unbalanced more air will be shed to one side and can cause wobble at higher speeds.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Roy Shirley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/25/18 at 16:40:10

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, all make good sense. I'm looking 2"  over the windscreen, guess it depends on ones torso length, but I wear a full face helmet so will wait until ridin' weather to decide.

Thanks again, ride safe,
Roy  Smiley

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 01/25/18 at 23:24:24

batman wrote on 01/25/18 at 14:26:36:
While looking through the wind screen may sound nice ,it can be a problem in the rain,

A silicone base furniture polish like Mr Sheen, will let water bead up and fly off at anything over 40kph

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/26/18 at 02:10:21

[quote author=4A7475796B7776180 link=1516898201/0#2 date=1516919000]Roy Shirley wrote on 01/25/18 at 08:36:40:
The helmet I wear - a Scorpion EXO full face - is noisier with the windshield than without it. But I wear earplugs almost all the time so that's not an issue.  

Same here (hear).......my Scorpion EXO500 can be deafening if the concentrated wind stream coming from the top of the windshield hits the vents on the top of the helmet.

Closing the vents cuts the noise down a little bit - but they don't seal completely and still make noise.  It is quieter if you can get the wind blast over, or below the top of the helmet.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 01/26/18 at 07:10:58

It took me decades to come to this conclusion, but I prefer naked bikes.

I've owned a lot of bikes with fairing and windscreens, and all of them gave me buffeting at the helmet (I even owned a GSX-1100F Katana that had an electric-adjustable windscreen). My cafe racer was the first street bike I owned in decades that didn't have an aerodynamic fairing and I noticed it was more comfortable to ride with regards to airflow then my current faired bike, a FZ6. Then this summer when I began to ride my DRZ TRacker I again noticed that the clean air over my helmet was less noisy then the disturbed air from the FZ6.

So in late fall I removed the fairing from my FZ6 and installed a 7" round headlight and bar-end mirrors (aka the "street-fighter" look). Sure enough, the bike is more comfortable to ride. So much so that I expect I will ride more this summer then I have in years.

I have many street helmets (Scorpion EXO AT-950, Scorpion EXO R410, HJC CL (semi-open face), AGV K3 & an older Shoei RF-800) and none of them are comfortable from a noise perspective when riding in disturbed air.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
MarcosS40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Central PA.
Reply #8 - 01/26/18 at 11:22:21

A few thoughts from someone 6'2". I have an 06 s40 w/ the stock windscreen adjusted up as far as I can get it.  The windscreen is pretty flexible so I tightend the w/s fork mounts splayed outward at a couple degrees equally on each side.  This has the effect of flexing the plastic and takes a little curve out of the mount area, pitching the w/s upwards a few degrees more than stock. This helps kick the air up a little more, over my head at speed. (and prob. increases drag a touch) There is another big reason I like my windscreen. After a ride in this area, just have a go at cleaning the thing! June bugs, bumblebees, grasshoppers, even birds... ouch! I'm thankful for it after every ride.  Smiley

IP Logged
Roy Shirley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/26/18 at 15:02:41

Thanks MarcosS40, gonna try that when it gets above freezing!  Smiley

IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #10 - 01/26/18 at 18:36:35

To the OP on my 2009 S40 I took the stock windshield off and moved it up to where the shields bottom screw holes were at the top holes on the brackets. I then marked the screen to drill new lower holes effectively raising the height 2" . I am 5'10" and the wind blast is now at the top of my helmet instead of straight into my face. I used a drill bit made for lexan and used plastic screws and nuts from Lowe's.  I still am able to look over the screen. Jeff

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 01/28/18 at 13:05:13

I never knew that there was a standard Savage windscreen.  Is there?

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 01/28/18 at 14:11:21

Yes ,factory aftermarket acc. like Suzuki saddlebags.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #13 - 01/28/18 at 19:39:48

If you're concerned about it being too high, there's always this option. Although, perhaps a bit extreme.

http://img.index.hu/imgfrm/0/0/1/1/BIG_0014190011.jpg

Or, if you like standing up while you ride, you can go this route.

http://img.index.hu/imgfrm/6/3/6/5/BIG_0014346365.jpg

IP Logged
Roy Shirley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/31/18 at 18:51:14

DieselBob,
Those are great extremes, thanks for posting!  Undecided

Roy