Send Topic Print
Charging system (Read 519 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Charging system
Reply #30 - 01/24/18 at 18:39:35

Alright, now we're having a conversation.

Let's use your 200a battery example. What if, with all of the electrical loads turned on, and maybe an accessory, that the charging system doesn't get the battery back to a full 200a charge. Everything is working as it should, but a few connectors and some thin wire prevent that available current from allowing the battery to reach its intended potential. Now that extra 0.5v that can be directly routed to the battery is the difference between a good start or a walk home. That's the threshold I'm talking about.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #31 - 01/24/18 at 18:45:05

Best $19.00 I spent

20180124_202347.jpg

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 01/24/18 at 19:33:00

batman wrote on 01/24/18 at 17:10:45:
Vercy ,I have a 95 ,it doesn't have the headlight cut out relay, my light is on when my bike starts the light dims when the starter is engaged but the bike never fails to start. If the bike starts an there is less than 10v then we must assume the ignition fires at a lower voltage. we assumed more than 10v but that is at the battery.

same as all mine.  due to the long line and the headlight taking juice off the same line (I think) the voltage will be less at the tap point.  add in the resistance of the wire back and several contact resistance and maybe a bad joint or 2 and you got less.  I know it pulses down to 10v or so and still starts, how much less can't tell you.  But less and it'll crank till your starter melts.

WWW   IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #33 - 01/24/18 at 19:57:47

Grin

20180124_215508.jpg

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #34 - 01/24/18 at 20:10:05

Vercy,The ignition is very sensitive to voltage only because it draws very little amperage .When the field collapses a higher voltage is induced in the secondary windings ,but may also be echoed back toward the TDI by the primary as at that time no voltage is applied. If we raise voltage ,we may raise  the echo an damage the TDI ,this is the reason use of a larger stronger race coil is not recommended .  Raising the voltage on our stock coil may do the same damage.(don't know)...just did some research, Volts to the module should never exceed 14 or damage will occur ,13 and change is OK.

« Last Edit: 01/24/18 at 21:19:33 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 01/24/18 at 20:43:30

Gary ,your confusing voltage with power,voltage is the "push" amperage is the "flow"  watts is the" work". amp x volts = watts. Your battery is rated in amp/hrs ,not volt /hrs." Our "battery would have 200 cca(cold cranking amps) @12volts,by the time your voltage falls to the point it will barely supply the ignition ,the amps in the battery will not be enough to turn over the motor  fast enough to create the compression it needs to start.(you may be able to push start it if you have found and cured your generation problem).

« Last Edit: 01/24/18 at 21:59:06 by batman »  

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #36 - 02/02/18 at 20:38:55

You could always go to a 16v battery

Screenshot_2018-01-28-00-00-54_001.png

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #37 - 02/02/18 at 21:30:45

Zx-14 ,you could wire a 12volt and a 6 volt battery in series and have 18 volts, but you'll have a very hot spark, for a very short time, as  anything over 14 volts will damage the TCI ignition module.

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #38 - 02/02/18 at 21:45:13

batman wrote on 02/02/18 at 21:30:45:
Zx-14 ,you could wire a 12volt and a 6 volt battery in series and have 18 volts, but you'll have a very hot spark, for a very short time, as  anything over 14 volts will damage the TCI ignition module.

I have ran 24v on my zx14 I would flip a switch and it would put 24 to the ignition system and the I would spray the crap out of it then turn it off and drive on 12v but I had to change the batteries when I got home I should have wired it to charge both lol

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #39 - 02/02/18 at 21:48:06

Buy it should be fine with 16v because 16.8 is still under 18v and that's what most electrical systems can handle. I was going to try and put a regulator on their little put out 16 volts to but I don't know yet still researching LOL

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #40 - 02/02/18 at 22:01:19

Gary, If the load ,with an accessory doesn't allow the battery to fully charge, then the accessory load is to large and the battery will over time discharge and you'll be walking home anyway. If this total load is just barely below total output then the battery will charge ,but take much longer to achieve full charge. There are only three ways to generate more power ,all have to do with your alternator, 1) as Dave said,  is to increase the wire size of the stator with the same number of turns. 2) Is to increase the magnetic lies of flux (Field strength ) which we can't do ,because we  have fixed magnets ,not electromagnets in the rotor.3) is to raise rpm ,this shifts the angle of the lines of flux making them longer so that they take more time to pass through the winding an create more power .( The reason you test alternator output at 5000 rpm, not at idle).

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #41 - 02/02/18 at 22:16:56

ZX-14 No ,most motorcycles are regulated to between 14 and 15.5 volts . The purpose of the regulator is to limit voltage,  not increase it. If you ran 24volts I'm dying to see a diagram of how you did it . please post one!

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #42 - 02/03/18 at 01:47:43

batman wrote on 02/02/18 at 22:16:56:
ZX-14 No ,most motorcycles are regulated to between 14 and 15.5 volts . The purpose of the regulator is to limit voltage,  not increase it. If you ran 24volts I'm dying to see a diagram of how you did it . please post one!

What diagram we ran two batteries and ran to a switch and the 12v through a switch  turn the one off turn the other one on you have 24 volts

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #43 - 02/03/18 at 01:48:42

batman wrote on 02/02/18 at 22:01:19:
Gary, If the load ,with an accessory doesn't allow the battery to fully charge, then the accessory load is to large and the battery will over time discharge and you'll be walking home anyway. If this total load is just barely below total output then the battery will charge ,but take much longer to achieve full charge. There are only three ways to generate more power ,all have to do with your alternator, 1) as Dave said,  is to increase the wire size of the stator with the same number of turns. 2) Is to increase the magnetic lies of flux (Field strength ) which we can't do ,because we  have fixed magnets ,not electromagnets in the rotor.3) is to raise rpm ,this shifts the angle of the lines of flux making them longer so that they take more time to pass through the winding an create more power .( The reason you test alternator output at 5000 rpm, not at idle).

I will run it on 12 volts and then I will put a battery in there that's a 16 volt battery in tune it on that so I can have the option of riding around on 12 volts or if I'm going to go play with it and race Harley guys I can put a fully charged 16 volt battery in there and spray it but this is only if the 12 volt system won't supply enough to fire the nitrous

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #44 - 02/03/18 at 01:50:09

You sure do a lot of technical talk and big words are you an engineer or electrical engineer or a machinist

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:36:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Charging system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.