Send Topic Print
Charging system (Read 519 times)
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Charging system
01/21/18 at 01:44:44

Does anybody know how to get more power out of the charging system or do I have to rewrap it and make the wine jeans tighter is there like a different regulator we can put on there that'll put out more power cuz usually bikes are regulated by the regulator

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Charging system
Reply #1 - 01/21/18 at 02:56:49

We have about 100 watts of power we believe.  Some aftermarket stators claim to have more power - but there is no proof.  There also is no real data on what the regulator/rectifier can handle.

You may be able to reapportion the power - Changing the headlight from a 50/65 watt bulb to a 20 Watt LED helps, the running lights are 3 watts each (2 in front one tail light).

If you want extra power you may need tighter wine jeans. Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 01/21/18 at 13:42:48

I've seen different output amounts on the web for our bike. I've seen a little over 100w, 120w, 165w, and 185w. I can't find any information from Suzuki that states what we have.

To get more power you would have to rewind the stator with thicker wire at the same number of turns.  It's pretty tight as it is so there wouldn't be much gain.

A MOSFET regulator might give you a little more useable power but probably wouldn't be worth the hassle of the rewiring necessary.

The manufacturer of our voltage regulator will not talk with end users, only manufacturers. I wrote and asked for specs. They said talk to the motorcycle manufacturer.

Go with what Dave said, change to LED bulbs to gain back wattage.  Just remember that wattage unused is burned in the regulator. When you aren't using the extra 'saved' watts, they will make the voltage regulator run hotter.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 01/21/18 at 16:36:46

It always helps to up the wire gauge of the wires involved in the charging system, including the leads to and from the battery. That, and making sure the grounds and other connections are clean and happy.
I've dealt with a lot of older Japanese bikes with anemic charging systems. Just bought a bunch of LED instrument bulbs. Not a big draw, but every watt counts on these gutless systems. Obviously, head and tail light are bigger users.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 01/21/18 at 18:42:25

Dave wrote on 01/21/18 at 02:56:49:
We have about 100 watts of power we believe.  Some aftermarket stators claim to have more power - but there is no proof.  There also is no real data on what the regulator/rectifier can handle.

You may be able to reapportion the power - Changing the headlight from a 50/65 watt bulb to a 20 Watt LED helps, the running lights are 3 watts each (2 in front one tail light).

If you want extra power you may need tighter wine jeans. Huh

Wouldn't I want more smaller windings to increase the voltage ?

« Last Edit: 01/21/18 at 21:39:56 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/22/18 at 03:13:54

GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 01/21/18 at 18:42:25:

Why would you want more voltage?.....it is amperage that we are lacking.

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 01/22/18 at 03:39:34

Dave wrote on 01/22/18 at 03:13:54:
GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 01/21/18 at 18:42:25:

Why would you want more voltage?.....it is amperage that we are lacking.

My bad I meant more amperage

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/22/18 at 03:42:51

For more amperage.....you want the same number of windings with a larger wire diameter.

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 01/22/18 at 08:17:09

Dave wrote on 01/22/18 at 03:42:51:
For more amperage.....you want the same number of windings with a larger wire diameter.

OK.

So know one knows what the power out put is? Looks like I will have to test it to find out

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 01/22/18 at 08:58:57

One of my other bikes is a Suzuki DRZ. That bike makes 70VAC on each leg (the LS is 100VAC) and has a total output in the range of 200 watts. A common mod to increase available power (known in the DRZ community as the "Free Power" mod) is to rewire the R/R output (charge wire) direct to the battery. This mod increases the voltage measured at the battery. The stator and R/R system are not producing any additional power, but the mod eliminates a common faulty OEM plug, and excess wiring length, part of the OEM system that through resistance lowers the amount of power getting to the battery.

With this mod you can get an additional 0.5VDC delivered to the battery - so in effect there is additional capacity. As mentioned above, going all LED will make more power available on the DC bus as well. Eliminating the decompression solenoid will also free up some DC Bus capacity, but if you're going to go with a high compression piston, you may need to retain that feature.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 01/22/18 at 13:29:36

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/22/18 at 08:58:57:
One of my other bikes is a Suzuki DRZ. That bike makes 70VAC on each leg (the LS is 100VAC) and has a total output in the range of 200 watts. A common mod to increase available power (known in the DRZ community as the "Free Power" mod) is to rewire the R/R output (charge wire) direct to the battery. This mod increases the voltage measured at the battery. The stator and R/R system are not producing any additional power, but the mod eliminates a common faulty OEM plug, and excess wiring length, part of the OEM system that through resistance lowers the amount of power getting to the battery.

With this mod you can get an additional 0.5VDC delivered to the battery - so in effect there is additional capacity. As mentioned above, going all LED will make more power available on the DC bus as well. Eliminating the decompression solenoid will also free up some DC Bus capacity, but if you're going to go with a high compression piston, you may need to retain that feature.

OK thanks. I think I will just  wire it to where I have a main switch to shut everything off for when I need all the power

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 01/22/18 at 16:41:18

You have to read all of the words. The idea is to have the R/R go direct to the battery without going through connectors, switches or low gauge wires. You may be limited to 200 or so watts continuous, but the battery surly can handle small bursts of high current as long as it has adequate time to recover.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 01/22/18 at 16:48:23

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/22/18 at 16:41:18:
You have to read all of the words. The idea is to have the R/R go direct to the battery without going through connectors, switches or low gauge wires. You may be limited to 200 or so watts continuous, but the battery surly can handle small bursts of high current as long as it has adequate time to recover.

OK thanks

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 01/22/18 at 18:35:40

OMG,"Energy can neither be created or destroyed" there is no "Free Energy".! The alternator makes the same power and the bike uses the same amount as it always did.If you raise the voltage of the battery you may exceed the charging rate and shorten battery life, it may have more stored power but this is only good when hitting the starter button. You've only one path instead of two, that the power can take to feed both lighting and the ignition systems ,unless you have greatly increased it's wire size to carry the entire load , the greater amperage will drive up resistance , drive down voltage ,causing the wire to heat which will be dispelled.(causing a net loss in electrical energy). But even if you have gone to heavier wire you may be charging the battery at a higher rate, ( a 200 amp battery would only be charged to 207 amps at the higher voltage)but your also discharging the battery at a higher rate. you gain nothing. Shorting the path of flow does nothing, the speed of flow through a properly sized copper wire being 280,000 kilometers per/ sec or 173,000 miles per/sec. If the connector is a problem ,cut it out and hard wire the circuit. the extra voltage you see at the battery is because regulators produce a discharge voltage between 14 -15.5 volts .

« Last Edit: 01/22/18 at 19:56:26 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 01/22/18 at 22:59:30

batman wrote on 01/22/18 at 18:35:40:
OMG,"Energy can neither be created or destroyed" there is no "Free Energy".! The alternator makes the same power and the bike uses the same amount as it always did.If you raise the voltage of the battery you may exceed the charging rate and shorten battery life, it may have more stored power but this is only good when hitting the starter button. You've only one path instead of two, that the power can take to feed both lighting and the ignition systems ,unless you have greatly increased it's wire size to carry the entire load , the greater amperage will drive up resistance , drive down voltage ,causing the wire to heat which will be dispelled.(causing a net loss in electrical energy). But even if you have gone to heavier wire you may be charging the battery at a higher rate, ( a 200 amp battery would only be charged to 207 amps at the higher voltage)but your also discharging the battery at a higher rate. you gain nothing. Shorting the path of flow does nothing, the speed of flow through a properly sized copper wire being 280,000 kilometers per/ sec or 173,000 miles per/sec. If the connector is a problem ,cut it out and hard wire the circuit. the extra voltage you see at the battery is because regulators produce a discharge voltage between 14 -15.5 volts .

I'm going to try and run it closer to 16 volts because when I go and hit the nitrous I want the ignition system to be nice and hot I'm going to put a different coil on it eventually they have spark enhancers that I got on my Turbo Bike but they don't make one for this bike might have to talk to him and see if they can make me one

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:38:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Charging system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.