That new tyre feeling! (Read 164 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
That new tyre feeling!
01/17/18 at 13:02:10

I'm fairly new to riding, so I'm still experiencing routine maintenance changes for the first time.

I knew new tyres would improve the ride but, holy cow, I didn't realise just how good it would be.

I swapped the stock tyres, which were about three years old for a pair of Metzelers :

ME888 Marathon Ultra on the front 100/90-19
ME880 Marathon on the back 140/90-15

I was after a pair of 880s but the supplier only had the 888 for the front. He assured me they were compatible - same tyre, just a newer version.

With the stock tyres, when they were pumped high enough for handling well, I felt every bump in the road. When soft enough to smooth out the ride, they got a bit squirrely on the cornering. And they found every groove in the road that ran along the line I was travelling.

The Metzeler's have solved all these issues at once. I think the little bit of extra height at the back is an improvement too. It's like a different bike!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: That new tyre feeling!
Reply #1 - 01/17/18 at 13:59:30

Congratulations IR   Smiley

ME888 Marathon Ultra on the front 100/90-19
ME880 Marathon on the back 140/90-15

I'm interested in what kind of millage you'll get out of them ?

Them IRC factory tires might be good when new , but they don't last very long.  

I've been told the 880 is a long lasting tire by a fellow here on the forum that lives in Texas.   So , I went to get a set for my Sportster a few years ago.   I didn't find any 880 , but did find a pair of 888's .   The rear 888 only lasted about 7000 miles so I'm guessing the 888's are a softer compound --- which is GOOD on the front !  Wink    Seems you lucked your way right into that one .    So , once again : Congratulations' on your new tires !  Cool
I liked my front 888 too !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 01/17/18 at 15:24:02

Thanks for the feedback MM. Yeah sounds like I landed on a good setup 😁😁

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 01/17/18 at 19:21:01

I never cared for the rear IRC, all the symptoms you describe. I felt frightened in the wet. Michelins solved everything.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 01/17/18 at 20:02:54

JC

Which  Michelins did ya get ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 01/17/18 at 20:05:03

jcstokes wrote on 01/17/18 at 19:21:01:
I never cared for the rear IRC, all the symptoms you describe. I felt frightened in the wet. Michelins solved everything.

In my inexperience, I didn't know how well this bike could travel. I thought those symptoms were just quirks of an old-style cruiser!  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/17/18 at 20:54:24

In my inexperience, I didn't know how well this bike could travel. I thought those symptoms were just quirks of an old-style cruiser!  

My stock tires on the 05 were scary. I rode them 5,000 miles, slipping through curves on dry pavement. Now I wonder how many
Parked and left to rot
Savages with three thousand miles on it are left to rot because of the crap stock tires.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #7 - 01/17/18 at 22:39:23

I reckon you might be onto something there JOG.

I've loved the S40 since I first sat on one. However, recently, as  I gained experience in riding, and started to push the bike a little more,  I was starting to get disappointed with the handling - even taking into consideration the limitations of a cruiser.

The new tyres are a revelation!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 01/18/18 at 07:42:15

Thinking of how the S-40 handles :

I've run my old Savage through the Dragon many times keeping up with and sometimes passing the sport bikes that are up there regularly .   But , I'd rather not go that fast all the time.   I don't need any tickets or the inflated insurance rates that goes with those tickets !  Wink

But the fact is : In a short track environment , The Savage is capable of keeping up with ,even  those 100+ HP machines .  

IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 01/18/18 at 09:06:57

MMRanch wrote on 01/18/18 at 07:42:15:
Thinking of how the S-40 handles :

I've run my old Savage through the Dragon many times keeping up with and sometimes passing the sport bikes that are up there regularly .   But , I'd rather not go that fast all the time.   I don't need any tickets or the inflated insurance rates that goes with those tickets !  Wink

But the fact is : In a short track environment , The Savage is capable of keeping up with ,even  those 100+ HP machines .  

That's kind of ironic! I started on a Ninja 250, but sold it after a few months for a couple of reasons. One of them being, I took to it's handling really quickly. And, I realised if I kept riding it I would, more than likely, end up in a ditch on the side of the road somewhere.

I switched to the cruiser to calm down a bit. I do enjoy the different kind of ride on the thumper - even though I do have a high-compression piston sitting on my bench awaiting an opportunity to do the swap. But it's a whole different story on the S40. The 'limitations' of the bike seem to work really well for me, especially when I include the mods I've made to the ergonomics. I like having the power/torque to ride assertively, without that constant 'race-ready' feeling of the sports bike.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #10 - 01/18/18 at 10:18:19

I got 14K+ on the IRCs on my '06 and, with the exception of some wet traction issues at the end, they were never that bad.

I wonder if the weird handling is a side effect of the age of the rubber on the tires. After all, if you have a bike that sits a lot or doesn't sell, the tires are going to be get harder as they age.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 01/18/18 at 10:56:07

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 01/18/18 at 10:18:19:
I got 14K+ on the IRCs on my '06 and, with the exception of some wet traction issues at the end, they were never that bad.

I wonder if the weird handling is a side effect of the age of the rubber on the tires. After all, if you have a bike that sits a lot or doesn't sell, the tires are going to be get harder as they age.

I had wondered that too. But the bike was only a year old, with 1500 kms on it when I bought it. The previous owner probably let it sit for a while. I think she tried riding but didn't really like it. But that's not all that much time.

I've put about 9000 kms on them. Maybe they were just more worn than I thought!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 01/18/18 at 11:26:57

Just don't get too crazy for the first 100 miles until new tires/tyres are scuffed in...
... or you'll get scuffed in... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 01/18/18 at 12:07:00

Serowbot wrote on 01/18/18 at 11:26:57:
Just don't get too crazy for the first 100 miles until new tires/tyres are scuffed in...
... or you'll get scuffed in... Grin

aye aye Captain  Wink

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 01/18/18 at 14:30:27

MM, Michelin Commander 2 140/90 15 rear and 100/90 19 Pilot Activ front. Re Sjaskow's comment, my bike was 2008 manufacture but not sold new to me until Sept 2010.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:39:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › That new tyre feeling!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.