YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Slide sticking
01/17/18 at 08:42:30

This is past frustrating.  Been having the same problem off and on for a couple of months progressing to on and on.
I'm down to cleaning the slide every night.
The slide will hard stick and limit my max speed on the flat to ~65.
Last weekend I rebuilt the old carb out of the 88 and put it in with the same problem.
Had a K&N in there for years and have changed that for paper (hi-flo)
When I rebuilt the 88 carb, I noticed the intake rubber ducky was filthy.
Last night I pulled the air filter and there was a build up of dirt on the far side under the breather port.  Sorta cleaned it.

Only thing left is to pull the airbox and pressure wash it.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Slide sticking
Reply #1 - 01/17/18 at 08:47:22

Have you opened up the oil drain tube for the airbox and drained out the goo?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/17/18 at 09:00:10

Yep, wasn't much there... and there is a plug.

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 01/17/18 at 09:35:02

This may sound simple, but, if you are having the same problem with 2 different carbs check the fuel flow and throttle & cable & routing, Something may be hanging.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/17/18 at 10:04:57

I replaced my slide because the coating had worn off and was very sticky.  I wasn't cheap, but it made a noticeable difference.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/17/18 at 10:37:50

badwolf wrote on 01/17/18 at 09:35:02:
This may sound simple, but, if you are having the same problem with 2 different carbs check the fuel flow and throttle & cable & routing, Something may be hanging.

CV slide is vacuum activated, so I doubt it's cable related.
It acts like a stuck slide, sometimes a good bump will result in whoa nellie moment.
And removing the slide is difficult because it is... stuck.

On a positive note... I can pull and replace the carb in less than 30 minutes.   :'(

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 01/17/18 at 11:10:33

Did you use the same needle on both slides? Maybe the needle is bent or out of round.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 01/17/18 at 12:12:41

I swear by OLDFELLER's air cleaner and have used it for years. the problem with the breather hose is it discharges between the air filter and the carb and at a level almost even with the carb opening .It may be worth a try to drill through the box ,an insert a short nipple to carry it beyond and maybe below the filter ,allowing the gook to drop out and only oil fumes to be sucked back threw the filter,( with a short hose and small filter of the type used when removing the air box-there's room) keeping the slide cleaner. Of's filter is loaded with veg oil ,I don't believe oil fumes would hamper it's operation. My air box has two drain positions ,one with a hose (the section between the filter and carb)and one with a small cap that could be swapped( to drain the section on the inlet side of the filter.)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/17/18 at 13:04:22

batman wrote on 01/17/18 at 12:12:41:
I swear by OLDFELLER's air cleaner and have used it for years.

I had the K&N before OF invented it or I would have.
Quote:
the problem with the breather hose is it discharges between the air filter and the carb and at a level almost even with the carb opening .It may be worth a try to drill through the box ,an insert a short nipple to carry it beyond and maybe below the filter ,allowing the gook to drop out and only oil fumes to be sucked back threw the filter,

Not a bad idea, with the right hose and a tight fitting hole, no nipple necessary.
Quote:
My air box has two drain positions ,one with a hose (the section between the filter and carb)and one with a small cap that could be swapped( to drain the section on the inlet side of the filter.)

I knew they had 2 drain ports, didn't know they were front and back.  Will check.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 01/17/18 at 14:02:31

Had to double check myself, yep ,one facing the rear of the bike drains that section.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/17/18 at 14:11:02

They do have two ports cast into the plastic air box - but only one is used as a drain....the other one is capped off at the factory and isn't used.

It is possible that the tube or port is blocked....and the air box does have a puddle of go inside - even though you have removed the plug and drained the tube.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 01/18/18 at 07:26:13

This may be objectionable to some here, but on every carb I have had that was a CV carb, I have faithfully used LUCAS gasoline additive (I buy it by the gallon from Summit Racing- lots cheaper!) as I use it in my auto and lawn mower.  It is used at a 400:1 ratio which is 3.2 oz per 10 gallons of gas so it lasts a long time.  

However, it has kept my carbs absolutely spotlessly clean - in all locations, AND it keeps all the moving parts lubricated.  Whenever I have taken them apart after I started using the gas additive, there was a slight slippery film on the slides and even up to the diaphragms.  I swear by it!  On the BMW's which have been notorious for having terrible BING carbs, after using the gas additive, I never ever had even one more problem with dirtiness or issues with slide failing to properly move.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/18/18 at 08:10:43

So, after a long night wrenching, cleaning the airbox, r&r all in the way of said airbox, cleaning the slide, day 1 has started off well.  The cagers are happily terrorized from the #1 lane.  We'll see how it goes.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #13 - 01/18/18 at 15:12:17

FWIW,
Stripping two stroke carbs -you know what they are don't you Smiley- I always found them to be in pristine condition, I think because of the petroil. I have used a tiny drop of oil in various 4 stroke bikes thinking it would help the carb. My reservation is that it might foul the cylinder to some extent? It seems like a good idea? Gas seems to me to be a poor lubricant.

What's the consensus? Undecided

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #14 - 01/18/18 at 15:13:49

P.S. I have never liked CV carbs. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:30:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Slide sticking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.