Savage running bad (Read 311 times)
Mitsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage running bad
01/09/18 at 04:01:04

Hello folks!

If been scouting on this forum for several weeks now, now its time to post something!

Year: 1992
Kilometers: 64000
Completely stock engine

So i purchased a Savage a while ago as starter bike, when i finally could drive it worked fine for some weeks. Now after a while going to work for somedays it started to run bad, it runs at very high rpm in idle, but giving a litle bit of gas and it goes back again to normal idle. And while driving and slowing down it sputters and it goes completely out at the stoplight. Also when i release the gas it jerks. I have to drive with the choke full out or else it wont run. Now i already had some problems with the carb before, the diaphgram was damaged so i bought a good 2nd hand carb and replaced the best parts to my own, it all worked fine and good and now this problem shows up. Carb is completely cleaned several times(even without finding any dirt). When i start it with the choke the rpms are not any different then when its warm, not even a lil bit higher. Last time i removed the carb because i couldnt drive faster and it was super slow, i found that the diaphgram was stuck at the sides so i sanded the rough edges a lil bit with 1200, doesnt sound good but it was scratched from the inside.  The petcock is good, carb is clean, it gets enough fuel, air screw is at 1.5 open. Fresh castrol oil 20w40 JASO MA2.

Also i could easily push the bike forward in 4th gear so i think that the valves arent good either.

This problem starts to happen when the engine gets warmer so i suspect there is something wrong with the choke, but i dont know what. If been to several dealers but they all dont wanna help me because its a savage
This is my first bike so i do not know much about bikes at all, but i did what i could do.

Thanks in advance, and hope to hear something soon!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Savage running bad
Reply #1 - 01/09/18 at 04:08:40

Do you have the stock vacuum petcock on the bike?

Have you tried the "test your petcock"?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Mitsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/09/18 at 04:27:19

Yeah i tried and it works fine as its supposed to do, i even put on new hoses to make sure there is no vacuum leak. It is still the original one.

Thanks for the fast reply!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/09/18 at 04:36:23

You might need to check the rubber boot that attaches the carb to the cylinder.  As these age they can crack and provide an air leak.

When you have to run with the choke out - it is a indication the mixture is too lean and the choke makes the mixture richer.  The first thing that I suspect when this happens is a plugged pilot jet.....or an air leak.

When you cleaned the carb......did you attempt to look through the tiny hole in the pilot jet and confirm it was not blocked?

IP Logged
Mitsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/09/18 at 04:43:17

When i came home today it was idling at high rpms, after playing with the gas it stopped,  i checked those rubbers already too, couldnt find anything, even tried running it without airfilter but still the same, all the jets are clean as it can get, i removed them 2 days ago and cleaned them again.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 01/09/18 at 05:41:34

Welcome to the forum.

The air leak that Dave was referring to would be between the carb and the cylinder head, not on the airfilter side. A good way to test the for cracks or leaks is to spray the suspect area with carb cleaner while the bike is warm and idling. If the rpms change when the boot area is sprayed, you have found your leak.

BTW, we "ride" motorcycles, we don't "drive" them.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/09/18 at 06:42:13

Mitsy wrote on 01/09/18 at 04:43:17:
after playing with the gas it stopped.

What does this mean?  Throttle, petcock, idle mixture screw?

IP Logged
Mitsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/09/18 at 06:56:42

Just with the throttle handle

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 01/09/18 at 10:00:27

It sounds as if the side is hanging up ,or the throttle cable needs to be oiled ,sanding in this area was a no- no! the slide should have a black coating on it ,and should not be sanded ,I hope you just sanded the bore and even that might not be good. You said you have the air screw 1 1/2 turns open, it is in fact a fuel screw and if your running with the choke on all the time, it may not be open far enough ,you need to tune it by warming the bike up then slowing the idle down (with the choke off) and turning the screw until you hear the highest idle speed ( you might be better off starting with the screw out about 2  turns and adjust up or down from there) If the screw is in to far your starving fuel to the carb at idle ,and that's is why you are running with the choke on ,to compensate. Don't forget to raise the idle speed back up to at least 1000rpm afterward .( you can set the idle speed on a flat road ,bike in 1st gear ,throttle closed , it should run at a speed of at least 13 km.)When tuning carbs it is helpful if we know your general location and elevation above sea level.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/09/18 at 13:07:21

Mitsy wrote on 01/09/18 at 04:01:04:
Fresh castrol oil 20w40 JASO MA2.

This oil won't cause the current running problem - but how much ZDDP is in that oil?  If it only has 600 - 800 ppm, you are going to get accelerated cam and rocker wear.

IP Logged
Mitsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/10/18 at 12:40:56

I have actually no idea, gotta check that. I changed today the air mix screw with another one and found out mine didnt even have this small metal-rubber ring on the inside but just a spring(?). Could this cause any running problems? Where does this small spring even come from anymay? I dont think it belongs there, maybe the previous owner changed it?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 01/10/18 at 13:05:11

The idle mixture screw definitely needs the tiny 'O' ring on it. Without it you will be getting air flowing and consequently a lean mixture. Also, the spring is part of the system and needs to be there to prevent the screw from turning on its own.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Mitsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/10/18 at 13:37:58

Oh maybe the problem is THAT screw, i always thought it was for the air, the slide is full silver, all the black paint is gone and there are 2 points on it that are even deeper damaged, last time i opened the carb the slide was stuck between those walls. What is actually inside that screw? Mine had a small spring in it, but another i opened had just a small rubber-metal ring in it, so i dont know whats right. Tomorrow im gonna try what you said with the screw, i dont know what elevation im at but i found something on google that said 52meters above sealevel. (East of Netherlands). Cheesy
Btw, the cable is fine, it goes back instantly but when im at higher rpms and release the throttle it takes a while for the bike to get back to idle rpms, which i find quite annoying, happens too between shifts, sometimes it sounds like im just keeping the gas open between shifts(ofc im not).

Thanks for the useful replies!

IP Logged
Mitsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/10/18 at 13:41:00

Im totally reading this thread wrong Lips Sealed. Sorry norm92de, found your reply after i posted my long reply Embarrassed

Thanks!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #14 - 01/10/18 at 17:57:48

Just a thought, given that you have discovered at least one part missing from your carb - Was there a large floppy spring in the top of the carb? It fits down the inside of the slide, and pushes up against the cap.

It sounds like your slide is not dropping down when the air volume in the carb drops. So, either your slide is sticking, or the spring isn't there to push it back down.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:33:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage running bad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.