Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why did suzuki bother with a 5th gear (Read 391 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Re: Why did suzuki bother with a 5th gear
Reply #30 - 01/11/18 at 08:54:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/11/18 at 08:50:28:
Just because a VW doesn't feel like a Cadillac and a Savage doesn't feel like a BMW doesn't mean it's unsafe at speed.
Nobody said it's a great machine.
You implied that they are unsafe at normal highway speeds. I disagree.
Loudly.

I didn't imply it, I SAID it!!  At 65 mph, this bike is not as stable as it should be.  And at 70 or 80???  I  wouldn't want to be on it!  It's not about comfort but about stability!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 01/11/18 at 09:17:18

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/11/18 at 08:54:48:
I didn't imply it, I SAID it!!  At 65 mph, this bike is not as stable as it should be.  And at 70 or 80???  I  wouldn't want to be on it!  It's not about comfort but about stability!

Can you identify the measures or tests of stability?

At times (going 70/80) I have felt like the bike was on rails thru a power sweeper.  Yet jumping over a several times painted over line induced a head shake.

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #32 - 01/11/18 at 13:07:14

Hey, come to think about it......my S-40 is not as stable as my old 900lb Gold Wing was! Must be the engineers messed up and built a defective bike! WHO CAN I SUE? Should I sue Suzuki, or the whole country of Japan?

IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 01/11/18 at 13:20:31

Batman

I only drive in the right lane anyway.  As for it not being safe at highway speeds, really?  This is a great bike for mods!  You can make it ride what ever way it suits you.  Mine is a perfect example.  Be happy to send a picture but need an E-mail to do it.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #34 - 01/12/18 at 07:15:50

verslagen1 wrote on 01/11/18 at 09:17:18:
piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/11/18 at 08:54:48:

Can you identify the measures or tests of stability?

At times (going 70/80) I have felt like the bike was on rails thru a power sweeper.  Yet jumping over a several times painted over line induced a head shake.

I admit, that there is no "objective" standard or test available here, but for me, I have hundreds of thousands of miles of experience.  On the S40, even little aberrations in the road surface cause some problems, things also like dips in the pavement, resurfacing lines that run parallel to the direction of travel, rain grooves, etc.  The three primary causes of its instability are 1) short wheelbase, 2) fork rake, and 3) terrible shocks, both front and rear.  These can all be fixed with about another $1,000 to $2,000 changes.  But after all that expense, one would still have a mediocre bike.

The instability isn't necessarily due to lightness of weight as someone has suggested above.  I admit, that weight can help, but I remember my first "real" bike, a 1965 Honda 305cc SuperHawk.  Ironically, it was more stable than my current S40.

Having said all that, I think the S40 is a very good bike for the cash and can be a great deal of fun (and safe too) if one keeps these limitations in mind, and learns to handle the bike to compensate for its limitations as we all do with anything that we own, cars included.

It is not my "cup of tea," but a lot of you get enjoyment out of modifying the original into cafe style bikes or other styles and you guys do a great job and your work looks fantastic.  The S40 is a GREAT base for that kind of modifications!  You fellas can be very proud of your abilities in that area!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 01/12/18 at 15:07:41

Piedmontbuckeye ,your running  unmatched tires buy two different makers ,that may cause some instability. Buy the shinko  front to match your new rear tire and see if that doesn't help .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 01/12/18 at 16:11:59

Piedmontbuckeye,

Thanks for your appreciation for the custom bikes!  This is why I love the Savage.  Just like cruising and I love a single.  Takes me back to the old days.  Sure enough can buy a bike that can do much more but not one with more character, and possibilities. Need that front sprocket Dave.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 01/13/18 at 03:53:37

We got crappy weather and snow last night. I will be working on a batch of pulleys today!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 01/14/18 at 15:52:55

Bobber wrote on 01/12/18 at 16:11:59:
Need that front sprocket Dave.  

Done.....see the Marketplace listing!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:41:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why did suzuki bother with a 5th gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.