Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why did suzuki bother with a 5th gear (Read 391 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Why did suzuki bother with a 5th gear
Reply #15 - 01/09/18 at 13:27:55

If you have a stock motor and decide to go to taller gearing for highway use ,be aware there is something of a trade off , while you will be turning lower rpm ,say cruising at 60-70 , passing slower vehicles will be a bit more challenging . After reaching peak torque (3400rpm) torque will drop off a bit faster and horsepower will build a bit slower, increasing both the time and distance needed to pass safely. While this may not be of major concern on the super highways ,you'll need to be more focused on back roads and two lane highways . Motors with larger/higher compression pistons and cams don't have a worry due to producing 25-30% greater hp. and torque peaks somewhere between 3400-4000 rpm.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #16 - 01/10/18 at 06:49:39

Very good advice, Batman!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 01/10/18 at 07:10:54

It would be interesting to get an some actual "real world" data on this.  The majority of the folks that have done the front conversion haven't noticed a seat of the pants reduction in the accelerations (provided it was not done in conjunction with the oversize 140/90-15 rear tire).

The change from the 23 tooth front pulley to the 25 tooth pulley makes a 8.7% gearing change.  Folks discover that they often are using a lower gear after the swap to the Kawasaki pulley - so the only time they really lose acceleration is after they have shifted into 5th gear.  When they need to accelerate quickly they just shift down a gear or two......3rd gear which previously had a top speed of 75.3 mph now has a top speed of 81.8mph - 4th gear which used to have a top speed of 90 mph is now 97.8 mph at 6,500 rpm with the stock size rear tire.  

« Last Edit: 01/10/18 at 08:13:24 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #18 - 01/10/18 at 08:35:28

To me, trying to go much over 65 MPH on this bike is dangerous!  It's design is just not made for that!  I have been up to 70 or more MPH on mine just to see how it acted, and I (been riding since 1966) was taken back at its instability.  

For me, I would rather have a lower 1st gear than a higher 5th gear.  I would also rather have gear spacing better - a better 4th to 5th space.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/10/18 at 10:42:02

If it was that unstable at such a low speed I'd think it's needing some attention. I run through sweepers at sixty. With a fork brace, straight rims and healthy tires on a decent road it should be stable at any speed it will run in a straight line.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 01/10/18 at 14:56:18

" 4th gear which use to have a top speed of 90 mph is now 98.7mph at 6500rpm"            Now all we need to find is a stock bike that will make 98.7mph ,when in truth we can't even find a stock bike that will do 90mph because a stock bike can't due much more than about 5800 rpm(87 mph )due to lack of hp.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 01/10/18 at 15:06:48

batman wrote on 01/10/18 at 14:56:18:
"Now all we need to find is a stock bike that will make 98.7mph ,when in truth we can't even find a stock bike that will do 90mph

True dat! Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 01/10/18 at 15:08:13

4spd=94.3@6500
5spd=97.3@6500

What do consider stock, my '96 will do 85 uphill with drilled stock muff and rejet.

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #23 - 01/10/18 at 15:23:54

''piedmontbuckeye'' wrote,
''To me, trying to go much over 65 MPH on this bike is dangerous!  It's design is just not made for that!  I have been up to 70 or more MPH on mine just to see how it acted, and I (been riding since 1966) was taken back at its instability.  ''

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but, that statement might start something to make the ''oil wars'' look tame!
Check your headset, swingarm, and wheel bearings, if one or more of them are bad or loose your stabilty will suffer.

IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/10/18 at 15:52:14

I'm just looking for lower RPM at 65.  Mine is a chopper with taller back shocks and rides smooth (suspension wise)  at 80 but the motor is buzzing.  I live mid Atlantic near the beach.  This taller tooth front pulley will work for me.  Though 90 even with my modified motor is not likely, and I'm cool with that.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 01/10/18 at 17:27:31

Bobber If you want to stay with the belt drive (I would) then the kawa front pulley is a good way to go ,and I would not try to talk anyone out of it's use .I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a free ride , that there is a trade off , the distance and time needed to pass others will be extended . If your aware of what I posted above  (in reply #15) and you feel that you can live with it ,go for it!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 01/10/18 at 20:05:12

I've got the front pulley. It affects crawling through a parking lot and after a few tanks of gas, I stopped being aware of the minor change in acceleration.
Time to pull off a pass? Drop a gear if you're loafing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #27 - 01/10/18 at 22:50:16

OK I might do the pully mod one day. When I get this bike going over 130kms my eyeballs shake around so much that the whole world is bouncing around.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #28 - 01/11/18 at 08:02:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/10/18 at 10:42:02:
If it was that unstable at such a low speed I'd think it's needing some attention. I run through sweepers at sixty. With a fork brace, straight rims and healthy tires on a decent road it should be stable at any speed it will run in a straight line.

Have you ridden any bike (like BMW's) that ARE stable at those speeds?  Face it, this Savage is not the greatest engineered bike, and with the design of a short frame, terrible shocks, rider position, etc. it is just not up to highway speeds for any length of time or safety.

It's good for what it is designed for - short trips or short cruising.  Mostly it is more for looking at, modifying, and standing around bragging about how one modified it!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 01/11/18 at 08:50:28

Just because a VW doesn't feel like a Cadillac and a Savage doesn't feel like a BMW doesn't mean it's unsafe at speed.
Nobody said it's a great machine.
You implied that they are unsafe at normal highway speeds. I disagree.
Loudly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:31:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why did suzuki bother with a 5th gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.