Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb/injector cleaner will work on cleaning Carb? (Read 107 times)
kylejang

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb/injector cleaner will work on cleaning Carb?
01/05/18 at 17:40:25

Hi There. Happy new year for everyone and thank you in advance for reading my question and honest your opinions.
My 08 S40(I just bought last month and I don't know service history) is backfiring when I rev up at idle(not driving) when I went for safety test, mechanic told me I should clean up Carburetor.
I can clean up Carburetor but I am thinking about something else shortcut way. Is it work if I drain gas from gas tank pour carb/injector cleaner (it is not gas additive) run engine? Do you think it will clean up deposit or gunk? Normally I used this carb/injector cleaner for cars which I directly connect to fuel injector after disengage fuel pump. Please let me know what are you thinking thank you.

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Carb/injector cleaner will work on cleaning Ca
Reply #1 - 01/05/18 at 18:52:33

It’ll be easier to just pull the carb and clean it. At least if you pull the carb you’ll know it will have a thorough clean. Carb cleaner is less than $2 at Walmart.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #2 - 01/05/18 at 21:16:03

Using carb cleaner is a hit or miss, you can try pouring it in and going for a ride but it may not work. I have never been lucky with gas additives.
Pulling the float of the carb is real easy on the savage, id do that then pull the pilot and main and clean them with carb cleaner spray.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 01/05/18 at 22:35:13

I'd brake down ,pull and clean the carb properly. injector cleaner might damage the rubber parts /gaskets in the carb ,some of which can be purchased , others can't . Doing it right once takes less time than doing it half way many times and you get to know your bike better.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/06/18 at 03:28:05

What exhaust and air cleaner are you running?

If the backfire occurs when you open the throttle quickly and build up revs.....then let the throttle slam shut - get used to it, as it will always do that (and there really isn't any reason to do that with your engine....be kinder/gentler with how you open and close the throttle and the Savage engine will respond much better).  The Savage engine doesn't respond well to rough treatment.  When you close the throttle you are shutting off the fuel flow and a lean mixture is entering the engine....and the mixture is so lean the spark plug will not ignite the mixture.  As the engine slows down and the high vacuum stops pulling an excess amount of air through the carb....the engine will again begin to run and it will ignite all the unburned fuel/air mixture in the exhaust system and you will get a loud pop/bang in the exhaust.  If your engine is running lean the explosion will be louder than a bike that has a proper mixture - but they will all bang with when you rev them and let the throttle close (ever notice all the Harley's popping and banging as the "bikers" arrive on the scene revving their engines?).

Using carb cleaner is not likely to do much good - if the carb has been subject to the effects of the ethanol fuel....the problem is more likely to be corrosion than it is to be just gummed up.  A proper cleaning and jetting is in order.

Don't be this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt8F9QP-Azw

« Last Edit: 01/06/18 at 04:50:25 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 01/06/18 at 07:00:15

For what its worth, I have run LUCAS gasoline additive in all my vehicles for years.  I buy it by the gallon and gallon will last about a year for me (mixture is 400:1).  It will keep things clean.  In my BMW, I pulled the carbs (much easier than on the Savage) after around 15,000 miles and they were still whistle clean (and a slight film of lubrication).  It does work.

I think it is good to run carb cleaner through from time to time.  I have always used Chevron Techron, but recently switched to Sea Foam.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/10/18 at 16:06:06

Sea Foam Works in my world.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/10/18 at 16:29:00

I've tried a bunch of stuff, Sea Foam is the only one that made a noticeable difference.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kylejang

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/11/18 at 15:02:25

Thank you all. I decide to clean Carb and also want to replace spark plug too. Removing Carb was easy but I can't drain gas from gas tank . I turned to PRI and nothing is coming out. What should I do now please let me know thank you.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/11/18 at 15:30:02

turn it to the other prime.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 01/13/18 at 22:53:40

I think Vercy means you might have turned it the wrong way, look on the lever ,there is an arrow.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/14/18 at 00:23:56

No fuel draining
Out of gas
Petcock in wrong position
Or
Petcock screwed up.. filter clogged
Or, very unlikely, vacuum in the tank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 01:03:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb/injector cleaner will work on cleaning Carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.