Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody ever owned a Triumph America? (Read 90 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Anybody ever owned a Triumph America?
01/04/18 at 13:42:18

I am just curious to see what ya'll think about this bike, model year 2009 and up. If I understand correctly the bike came with fuel injection starting in 2009.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Anybody ever owned a Triumph America?
Reply #1 - 01/04/18 at 13:53:00

SpringMan

If it were not for the Chain Drive being a PITA , then I would have bought the Speedmaster version w/the 865 engine or the earlier 790 engine instead of the Sportster 883 .   I've read good things about both of them.

I like the way they look.    I've had two Sportster  (2004 carbed + 2007 injected)  .  The Carb. version got better mpg and still was easy to live with.   If I were buying another I'd go with the 883 2004 - 2006 model . Smiley

Your not the only one looking at Trimuph :   http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=93918.0

One of the Guzzi fellers is also.   Its really easy to like the V-7 Guzzi @ 406#... and 5.5 gallons of fuel !   Smiley  

« Last Edit: 01/04/18 at 15:35:59 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/04/18 at 17:06:29

Thanks MM.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 01/04/18 at 22:07:56

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/05/18 at 03:41:38

Modern O-Ring chains aren't the problem that the chains of 40 years ago were.  The O-rings hold the lubricant inside the pin and rollers, and the cleaning and lubricating really just keeps the plates from rusting or gathering up a bunch of crud.  (You should avoid using a pressure washer on the chain).

A chain and sprockets do wear out.....20,000 miles is what I hear is a normal life span.  The little Ninja I own has a bit more than 10,000 miles on it, and the sprocket really don't show any significant wear.

A driveshaft or belt is desirable on a touring or sport touring bike as they are quiet and low maintenance - most sport bikes use chains as the system is lighter and more efficient.

If you really like the bike - I wouldn't let a chain scare you away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 01/05/18 at 08:16:29

SpringMan

That $4K , Speedmaster looks like a lot of bike for the money , don't ya think , and under 7K miles on it --- its just now gettin broke-in .

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 01/05/18 at 08:25:43

Thanks gentlemen. I am just keeping my options open. I do feel like I would like to have a bike with a bit more highway power and larger gas tank. And I think five hundred pounds give or take a bit is as heavy as I would like to go. I'm not in any hurry, just waiting for the right one to come along.

MM, nice looking Guzzi on that link!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 01/05/18 at 08:54:24

Your referring to the Black and Orange V-7 ($4495.oo ) some add's say 5.8 gals and some say 5.5 gals .    The only weak link on the V-7 is the tire size.   The rear tire is a 130/80-17 .   In that size there are a lot of Sport Bike tires , but not many touring tires.   They handle VERY WELL , but longevity suffers.    
I'm going back with the 130/90-17 touring tire when I have to change it , there are more to chose from in the 90 series tires.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/05/18 at 09:02:52

MMRanch wrote on 01/05/18 at 08:16:29:
SpringMan

That $4K , Speedmaster looks like a lot of bike for the money , don't ya think , and under 7K miles on it --- its just now gettin broke-in .

Not sure which triumph my brother got, but it had a busted starter gear.  And you have to split the case to replace it.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 01/05/18 at 17:15:02

Well Versey

That sounds like an opportune time for ya to get a Triumph !   Tongue

It ain't no go to anybody if it won't start !  

My Nephew has a Suzuki GSX-750 in my shop right now .   It has a spark plug broken off in the head , and needs a bath.    Its been there for about 3 month , before it came to visit me it was under a tarp in Nephew's yard for 2 month.   It needs the head removed and took to a shop.   I told him I'd help him remove the spark plug if he took the head off ,,, but it seems like he is waiting for me to "just-fix-it" (ain't going to happen)  Shocked

Maybe I should ask him what he wants for it ?

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 01/05/18 at 20:52:30

Is this the same bike he got busted over, the one that he put out in his yard and tore it all apart trying to fool folks about not having a functioning bike at the time "the phantom menace" flat ran way from the law?

I like the model, but that particular bike likely has some issues beyond a busted spark plug ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 01/06/18 at 16:29:39

I'm sure that bike has seen the needle hit the redline more than once , and I suspect Jed can tell ya just how fast 140HP will push a 400# bike. ...

The spark plug broke off below the hex head ???    I think somebody screwed a cold plug into a hot aluminum hole .   Its got great tires and clean oil in it .   He was having the same trouble Versey was having.   The rectifier was having to bleed off to much juice.   He had LED bulbs ever-where he could put one  .    Smiley

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:25:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anybody ever owned a Triumph America?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.