Polar Bears (Read 231 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Polar Bears
Reply #15 - 01/01/18 at 19:30:26

I took a 10 mile ride this afternoon .  it was 19 or 20 deg. but I was so layered up it didn't seem that cold .  
Remember those gloves with the "Rain Covers (Nylon)".  Wink  and chaps , Barclay , full-face helmet , boots .   If I'd put the Freeze-out long johns on , I believe a 100 mile's would have been OK !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Polar Bears
Reply #16 - 01/03/18 at 21:12:41

Thanks Tocsik

I just ordered :   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Grip-HandleBar-Muffs-H...

I had ordered the brush guard earlier , but didn't know about the mitts !  

All these years I've been getting frozen fingers , when I didn't have too !

So now the only thing getting cold is my knees , and my chaps w/freeze-out long johns helps a lot on that ... I might have to get some knee pads like SpringMan uses sometimes .  

Those fellers who ride Snowmobiles in sub -0- weather are the ones who have it all figured out !  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #17 - 01/04/18 at 06:13:09

MMR, those handlebar muffs look like a decent starting point.  You may have to make some alterations to get them to fit well enough on the Savage.  Let us know how it goes.

For legs, I wear a base layer under flannel lined jeans.  That's usually enough for most days, but on the really cold mornings I have to supplement with a pair of snowboard pants on top.  That does the trick but sometimes the amount of time it takes to gear up just takes away from the enjoyment of the ride.  I have also just added my rain pants over the lined jeans and base layer.  This blocks the wind off enough to let the insulating layers do their job.  Same principle as the handlebar muffs.  Your gloves can't keep your hands warm enough with freezing air blowing over them at 60 mph!  Bock that wind and the gloves can do what they're intended to.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 01/04/18 at 10:05:43

Bock that wind and the gloves can do what they're intended to.    

Amen ,Brother !

I've been using the "Rain-Cover Mittens" that came with a pair of gloves I bought 10 years ago.   The gloves are leather but the fingers are about wore out .  
Since then I've had several finger injuries , now those fingers can't get cold like they used too !  Embarrassed

Those handlebar pockets are looking really good !  Smiley

Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/06/18 at 06:12:09

Reminds me a bit of the old Vetter "Hippo Hands"....(showing my age with that one...lol)

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #20 - 01/06/18 at 07:11:34

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 01/06/18 at 07:29:19

Papabear:

Thanks for the link......it is not something I have any interest in doing.

It appears to be a BMW R1150RT from between 2002 to 2004.  It would have heated grips, heated seats, and the article says he has heated gear......it still doesn't look to be my kind of fun.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 01/06/18 at 16:43:11

I just saw the weather forecast for next week .  Next Tuesday I have an appointment 60+ miles from home and the weather is predicted to be in the mid to upper 50's , w/no rain but plenty of sunshine !    Smiley

If things don't change , I'll get to have a January "Day-Ride"  Cool

engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 01/11/18 at 18:02:46

This thread and the one about New Years resolutions inspired me to ride at least one time each month and today was the day for January, it hit 50 degrees.  So it doesn't count as a polar bear event but at least I got out.  The roads were wet with salt and cinders and a little slippery in places.  It took me an hour to clean the bike when I got home but it was worth it.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 01/11/18 at 20:07:58

Hay , ,

I got an hour long day ride today too  ,   didn't go anywhere but around the country block one way then the other !   But it was great ... I was trying out my Hippo Hands .... those things sure are ugly ! ....   Kinda like the song about "If you want to be Happy the rest of your life , then get an ugly woman to be your wife"   , Its true about the Hippo Gloves.   They slide over the handle bars and have a cut-out for the mirror stem that Velcro's shut ... Then you slide you hands in them and your Happy for the rest of you Ride !   Grin

tomorrows forecast is cold rain and snow , but today sure was nice !  Smiley

Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - 01/13/18 at 18:58:10

MMR, were those the ebay mitts you posted or actual Hippo Hands?  If they were the ebay model, did they need any modification to work on the savage?
I rode to work a couple days over the past couple weeks.  20's to low 30's in the morning and 50's or high 40's on the way home.  No problem.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 01/13/18 at 22:08:14

Real Hippo Hands , I'll try to get a picture in daylight tomorrow .   Smiley

The ones in the earlier post ain't here yet , our buddy in Florida (Bad Wolf) might be right about Spring getting here before those China mitts do !  Roll Eyes

Did'nt get home till 21:30 , will try again Monday ...  Embarrassed

« Last Edit: 01/14/18 at 20:41:07 by MMRanch »  

Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #27 - 01/18/18 at 08:14:47

Curious which model of Hippo Hands you went with and how you decided.  Unless they only make one style to fit the Savage, which makes it easier!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #28 - 01/18/18 at 17:23:43

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Grip-HandleBar-Muffs-Wint...

They are Big , Ugly , and Warm .    They fit on the bars good.  The mirror stem comes up through the opening that Velcro's shut and they slip over the end of the bar clutch/brake lever and all.   The levers are easy to work on the inside of them.  
I feel so HOT --- It must be LOVE !  Roll Eyes

The one on top(first one) is up-side-down , the bottom one is the only right one and in the correct position .
Wait :   Huh   Did I say that right ???  

in the link

hippo_hands.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 01/19/18 at 04:56:37

Next thing you know.....MM will be wearing a hand muff while he does work around his farm!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:36:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Polar Bears

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.