Polar Bears (Read 231 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Polar Bears
12/31/17 at 15:52:50

I've got some new gloves I'm going to try out tomorrow , but the length of the ride is yet to be determined .      Wink

Freeze out long johns (top and bottom) , jeans/flannel shirt , Chaps / leather coat , Full face helmet w/Barclay in it and tucked in really good into the coat .  Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Polar Bears
Reply #1 - 12/31/17 at 16:22:40

MMRanch, The weather has been great to ride most all month here in Fl. I left home at 7am yesterday to go to the west coast and back (400 miles), it was 50 degrees and fog for the first 90 miles. Wore my rain pants over my chaps and snowboarders mittens to keep warm and dry. (looked goofy, but it worked!) High 60's and sunny on the way home.
60's and sunny today, went to the range and the scenic way home - 110 miles total. I ended-up 23.5 K for the calendar year. Next year planning a trip to the salt flats in Aug. Should be 5.5 to 6 k for that trip.
Would like to do the KSL earlyer in the year,,,,IF you guys show-up this time!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 12/31/17 at 19:05:43

KSL ?

Whats first for next year?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 12/31/17 at 20:24:22

He has a point, he does, what is first for next year?

He makes a second point, actually an opportunity if you will.   If we are snow birding into Florida early next year by way of a gulf coast loop then you are talking to a potential HOST, somebody who lives in the area and can spot camping spots to toss a tent cheap and come up with Things To Do.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 12/31/17 at 20:24:40

My first trip in 18' will be early April to Columbia, SC for a weekend Roller Derby tournament. They haven't announced the exact date yet. I tried stretching that into N. Ga. in 16', but it was too cold to be fun. ( Florida has spoiled me!) I hit the west coast on the way back and it ends up about 15 - 1600 miles.
I am building a new ''Batwing'' style windshield/faring to bring the windshield much closer and cut down on the buffeting and wind noise in my ears. I HOPE! The trip to Utah will be 3 days of SS each way, less constant noise will keep me in a better mood. ( I said better, not good! ) 3 long days means a sore butt even if you are on a Gold Wing, let alone a 400 lb. S-40.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 12/31/17 at 21:34:40

OldFeller , if your interested in Daytona ,I'll see if I can find the ABATE campground.

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/01/18 at 00:25:20

Look at the thread in the stickies.

If you have to go look at Daytona bike week, you need to spot a place to stay.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/01/18 at 03:18:46

I made a strange discovery yesterday - the inside of the Beer Cave at the local convenient store was 20 degrees warmer than it was outside?

We are starting out 2018 at a lowly 4 degrees, and the next few nights will be worse - we won't get a warm up until the weekend.

Last winter after mounting the lightened pulley I took the Cafe' bike out to see how well it worked - I was so bundled up I looked like the Michelin Man.  It was 23 degrees and it was impossible to keep my hands warm, and the controls were really hard to work gracefully with heavy gloves on.

I just can't see myself going on rides when the temperature is really low - when it is cold and/or wet I prefer to use my car!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 01/01/18 at 04:18:02

Amen to that, 7 deg. here this morning with a -2 deg. windchill, its just a wee bit cold to be riding.  If I wanted to just start them I would need to set up a heater to blow under the crankcase to warm the oil first.
I sure would like to have a heated space for the bikes to live in and with workspace as well.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/01/18 at 04:24:16

I am pretty darned spoiled when it comes to having a warm/toasty workspace.  My garage and house are heated by my outdoor wood boiler, and it is currently 62 degrees in garage and 68 in the house.  I am burning the Ash trees that were killed by the Emerald Ash Borer.  I most likely will get 4-5 years of wood from all the dead Ash trees that are falling down.  The Ash wood decomposes pretty fast while standing, the limbs fall off in 2-3 years and the trunks start breaking and falling over a year two later.  It doesn't provide as much heat as Oak or Hickory - but it cuts easy and it is free!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/01/18 at 05:11:15

Got down to twenty..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 01/01/18 at 08:43:08

Mid 70's here...

I'm sooooo gonna' pay for this come summer...  Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 01/01/18 at 10:03:38

My hands hurt real bad when they get too cold.  This is the only way I can ride in the cold anymore.  I used to ride in much colder weather on my scooter b/c it blocked more air off the rider.  I had heated grips on that bike but also made a pair of handlebar muffs out of insulated lunch bags.  Later, I switched to these handlebar muffs but still had to add material and slits for mirror stems.
When I got the 'zuki, I only had to change some of the velcro closures to adapt them to the new bike.
When it's cold, I don't care how these "elephant ears" look on the bike.  At least I can still ride!

handlebar_muff_collage.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/01/18 at 18:01:24

Tocsik, I like those hand guards, did you fabricate them yourself or did you buy them somewhere?  It's supposed to be minus 5 here tomorrow morning so no polar bear rides for me.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 01/01/18 at 18:35:34

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:26:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Polar Bears

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.