Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Custom Project, can’t get it to start (Read 126 times)
HotShotBotsford
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Merritt Island, Florida
Custom Project, can’t get it to start
12/29/17 at 14:58:34

Hello, I’ve got a custom 2011 project I’m doing which includes eliminating turn signals, safety switches, and a straight up strip down.  After stripping most items, I’m trying to mount the Lowbrow ignition switch.  The bike will try to turn over but will only backfire.  Any suggestions?

image_353.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Custom Project, can’t get it to start
Reply #1 - 12/29/17 at 16:55:43

well, 1st post and you've got a lot to tell us.
2011, all the original parts or did you mix in other stuff?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/29/17 at 16:58:29

Did you do anything mechanical?
How old is the gas?
Did you put it on Prime?
What's the battery voltage while the starter motor is running?
Have you given it a small shot of ether?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 12/29/17 at 21:58:24

Is it truly backfiring ( through the carb ) or is it afterfiring(through the muffler)? Did you happen to adjust the valves?( If you followed the Clymer's book ,and rotated the motor cw to TDC ,this is incorrect ,the motor should be turned ccw /or the same way the wheels turn when viewed from the left side of the bike,your valves may not be fully closing). How many wires did you hook to the new starter switch and in what positions and where did you run them to?  And more importantly ,why did you change from the stock switch? Seeing you still have the decomp ,timer ,headlight relay that turns off during starting,and you have to bypass the starter and maybe the kill switch ,all complicates installing the newer switch.There is also a wire from the starting circuit that runs to the ignitor to signal it to retard the timing at startup ,if it's not functioning that might cause backfiring,as the sparkplug will be firing to early. If I were you I'd go back to the stock switch and wiring ,as removing your hand from the bars to use this type switch reduces steering control and use of the front brake and throttle ,I see no advantages.

« Last Edit: 12/31/17 at 22:20:14 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
HotShotBotsford
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Merritt Island, Florida
Reply #4 - 01/17/18 at 08:31:09

Hey, I got it to work.  Just issues with the grounding.  Had help from an electrical engineer and a city electrician and it took the motorcycle cop to figure it out  Wink  It has the white spacer mod, ryca re-jet, fuel/air adjustment, direct air, but no big mods to the engine itself.  Its approaching 20k miles so fearing the inevitable cam chain and tensioner replacement.  Is a chain breaker required for the switch?  First time Savage owner

IP Logged
HotShotBotsford
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Merritt Island, Florida
Reply #5 - 01/17/18 at 08:37:27

The switch change is purely aesthetic.  There's no more controls on the handlebars.  I have 3 toggle switches on the headlight housing (power, high beam, low beam) so the headlight is already off when it starts.  It did have 16 inch ape hangers so I had to shorten all the wiring to accommodate the lower bars.  The headlight brightness was improved greatly by shortening the wires.  I guess who ever did it the first time did not do so well.  Sure will be nice to see the road ahead of me at night again....   Ill post photos once it's done.  Getting the air box covers and gas tank powder coated.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/17/18 at 08:45:47

HotShotBotsford wrote on 01/17/18 at 08:31:09:
Its approaching 20k miles so fearing the inevitable cam chain and tensioner replacement.  Is a chain breaker required for the switch?  First time Savage owner

The chain is continuous, no breaker needed.

WWW   IP Logged
HotShotBotsford
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Merritt Island, Florida
Reply #7 - 01/18/18 at 17:19:38

awesome, I’ll be emailing you soon for your super fix when it’s time to make the switch

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 06:58:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Custom Project, can’t get it to start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.