Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Last day at Cardinal
12/29/17 at 05:21:21

It has been 32 years in the making - but today is my last day working full time and having an office at Cardinal Engineering.  It has been a career of a few ups and downs (a small civil engineering company is very dependent on the economy being good if we want to stay busy).  When the economy went bad a few years ago we went down to 4 day weeks and borrowed money to keep our employees paid and our doors open - but we survived and have bounced back.......not all the small engineering companies were able to weather the storm and survive.  It has been a career filled with lots of 60-70 hour weeks that included 4-5 public meetings each month - and on meetings days I could leave the house at 5AM and not get back home until after 10PM.  

I am packing my office up today, and moving my things to my new office.  My next career will be as the City Engineer/Zoning Administrator/Building Inspector for Highland Heights, KY.  I have been working for them for the last 26 years as a consultant - now I will be one of their employees.  I will be working about half as many hours as I do now, and I will be able to get away far easier for long weekend rides.

The new job will also give me the opportunity to ride a motorcycle to/from work - as I will have a city car to drive while I am working.  Riding a motorcycle has not been a good option previously - as it is hard to pack the clothing/tools I might need on the job.

I am really looking forward to the next chapter in my life - and it will begin on Tuesday, January 2nd.....2018!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Last day at Cardinal
Reply #1 - 12/29/17 at 05:52:19

Congrats Dave. Enjoy a long and well deserved self imposed semi retirement.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/29/17 at 06:04:45

Cheers!...  Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 12/29/17 at 06:05:10

Dave, be careful of the cagers early in the morning -- juggling a cup of coffee and driving is more than most of them can handle.  

Soccer moms in big SUVs love to make sudden lane shifts,  not looking at all ......    Tongue

Four times now I took the rumble strip rather than getting soccer mom'd and it gets repetitive to look over at them from so close up and see them talking on the phone or sipping coffee just plain totally oblivious.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 12/29/17 at 06:15:07

Happy New Year SD , Congrats
Oldfeller is right use caution the most dangerous times to be riding is sun up & sun down they just don't see us !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 12/29/17 at 06:23:48

Congrats!!  Hope your change will go well for you.

Also be careful on the roads on a regular basis.  Back when my 2 older kids were little (circa 1984) I rode my BMW to work 13 miles each way nearly every day, rain or snow.  During that time, I had approx, 2 close calls a week or so.  So...I decided to sell both my BMW's so the kids could grow up with a Dad.

A few years ago, my youngest and I went on a 2,500 mile trip on our BMW's.  During that trip which included a lot of interstates, being closer to passing traffic, I saw that about 50% of the drivers were immersed in their cell phones!  Scary!!  Sooo... please be careful!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 12/29/17 at 07:38:59

Congrats on the semi-retirement, Dave.  

Be careful on the commute.  They aren't paying any attention early in the morning. The soccer moms will get you if you are in their way going to two or three different schools, starbucks and getting to work somewhere near on time. Their attention span while driving, drinking coffee, talking on the phone and yelling at kids is effectively nil...they are on autopilot.

I hope you enjoy your extra time for yourself.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #7 - 12/29/17 at 08:00:35

Congratulations, Dave.

That's a great way to start a new year !

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 12/29/17 at 08:10:33

Way to go Dave. I truly hope you will greatly enjoy this new chapter in your life. I am guessing you will like this better than going cold turkey.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/29/17 at 08:55:51

Great news, good for you,man.

Will Cardinal be able to make it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/29/17 at 10:03:07

Congratulations.  You'll not regret your decision.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/29/17 at 10:07:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/29/17 at 08:55:51:
Will Cardinal be able to make it?

Cardinal is doing great!  They have a good group of young owners/engineers that are very well respected, have good clients, and are technically gifted.  When I started here we were still using survey transits, theodolites, manual levels and steel tapes to survey - now we have electronic total stations and a drone that can create topographic surveys and video.  I am the last old guy here......and it is time to let the younger generation shine- they have a bright future ahead of them.

My parting is good for everyone involved, and we remain good friends.  I am available to them if they need some part time help in the coming years - but I don't want it to interfere with my riding!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/29/17 at 11:04:01

Excellent,, growth and stability ,,
That the company has grown is good to hear.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/29/17 at 13:35:20

completely envious, enjoy.

WWW   IP Logged