Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re-wiring without decomp, clutch and stand (Read 241 times)
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re-wiring without decomp, clutch and stand
12/26/17 at 07:18:11

Any body re-wire leaving out the decomp controller, side stand inter-lock and clutch inter-lock but keep the neutral inter-lock?  I know I can jumper the things I want to disable but would rather re-wire to be able to remove all the components I don't really need.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Re-wiring without decomp, clutch and stand
Reply #1 - 12/26/17 at 12:10:28

Yep, my Cafe' still has the neutral light - but no decompression solenoid, clutch or sidestand safety.

RYCA has written and YouTube instructions on their website and YouTube channels.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/26/17 at 15:37:09

Dave wrote on 12/26/17 at 12:10:28:
Yep, my Cafe' still has the neutral light - but no decompression solenoid, clutch or sidestand safety.

RYCA has written and YouTube instructions on their website and YouTube channels.

Can you still energize the starter motor even when not in neutral?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/26/17 at 16:00:18

Yes - but like an old bike......you better remember to pull in the clutch before you hit the starter button!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 12/26/17 at 20:56:07

Go to RYCA site , bottom of the page click on resources then find clutch mod. They repurpose the side stand relay for a clutch safety.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jajke
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

2002 Savage

Minnesota, U.S.A.
Reply #5 - 12/28/17 at 07:30:55

Dave wrote on 12/26/17 at 12:10:28:

Dave, did you perform the RYCA suggested modifications or did you hot wire the clutch (for example)

Jaime Ajke
2002 Savage
Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 12/28/17 at 09:22:01

I am pretty sure I followed the RYCA guidelines - but removing the clutch safety may not be one of their suggestions.  I removed the clutch switch as I am not using the stock clutch lever - I have 7/8" clip on bars on my bike and my controls are from lots of different bikes and an ATV (GSXR 650, GSXR 1000, KLR 650, TRX 450).

All you need to do to bypass the clutch or kick stand lever is remove the wires from the switch and connect them together.....and it is bypassed!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 12/29/17 at 06:17:24

Dave wrote on 12/28/17 at 09:22:01:
I am pretty sure I followed the RYCA guidelines - but removing the clutch safety may not be one of their suggestions.  I removed the clutch switch as I am not using the stock clutch lever - I have 7/8" clip on bars on my bike and my controls are from lots of different bikes and an ATV (GSXR 650, GSXR 1000, KLR 650, TRX 450).

All you need to do to bypass the clutch or kick stand lever is remove the wires from the switch and connect them together.....and it is bypassed!

Dave,
Is there a way to eliminate the clutch (and kickstand) interaction BUT have the bike NOT start unless it is in neutral?  In other words, the rider would be required to put bike in neutral with nothing else affecting its ability to crank and start.  But if not in neutral, nothing would happen.

I hope you understand my question!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 12/29/17 at 06:40:48

An interlock using the neutral indication as the closing circuit could be easily created. I’m not sure I’d like it. For example, if you stalled the bike at an intersection you’d be fairly annoyed at the beeping cars while you got the bike into neutral to restart.

I’m a fan of the clutch interlock.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/29/17 at 07:02:44

I was thinking the same thing about needing the bike in neutral.  If you are on a hill etc. or anywhere for that matter and have to kill the bike would you want to use the clutch to start or kick it back to neutral every time?

Is there an advantage to removing the clutch safety I'm not aware of?

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #10 - 12/29/17 at 07:40:53

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 12/29/17 at 06:40:48:
An interlock using the neutral indication as the closing circuit could be easily created. I’m not sure I’d like it. For example, if you stalled the bike at an intersection you’d be fairly annoyed at the beeping cars while you got the bike into neutral to restart.

I’m a fan of the clutch interlock.

I'm really Old School here.  I think back to only having kickstarters, and you always had to put into neutral to start.  Electric starting has changed things, but I still would prefer to have ONLY neutral being the preventer of starting.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/29/17 at 09:56:02

Eegore wrote on 12/29/17 at 07:02:44:

The only reason I removed mine - is for simplicity and reliability.  Sometimes the clutch switches and relays fail, and if you are a long way from home it might be inconvenient.  Hopefully you could trouble shoot the problem and bypass the switch - that might be hard on a dark road on a rainy night, etc.

Leaving the clutch safety operational is best for new(er/ish) riders and those who aren't old enough to have established a reliable starting ritual that includes pulling in the clutch lever while pushing the starter button.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 12/29/17 at 10:06:49

Sandman I have some diagrams I could send to your email if you want them , minimal wiring for cafe & bobber etc

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/29/17 at 10:58:15

Dave wrote on 12/29/17 at 09:56:02:
Eegore wrote on 12/29/17 at 07:02:44:

The only reason I removed mine - is for simplicity and reliability.  Sometimes the clutch switches and relays fail, and if you are a long way from home it might be inconvenient.  Hopefully you could trouble shoot the problem and bypass the switch - that might be hard on a dark road on a rainy night, etc.

Leaving the clutch safety operational is best for new(er/ish) riders and those who aren't old enough to have established a reliable starting ritual that includes pulling in the clutch lever while pushing the starter button.

IMHO, kickstand/neutral safety more important than the clutch safety.
And the way the set it up with requiring a signal before it'll engage negates the need for a clutch safety which serves as a back up.
And having a clutch safety makes it difficult to use a manual decomp.
Unfortunately, the way the set up the decomp controller creates a safety issue with power going to it all the time it can active the starter on it's failure.

WWW   IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/29/17 at 14:58:20

Rather than do multiple quoted replies I'll respond in one.

Minimal wiring diagrams that are known to work would be great to have.  PM or email or post would be fine.

I agree with the comments about the neutral interlock only.  Having only a neutral interlock sounds like it could be a PITA.  I will occasionally kill the bike and having to find neutral under pressure is not something I'd not like.  So I was thinking I'd use the suggestion to re-purpose the side stand relay to allow either the clutch switch or the neutral switch enable the the side stand relay and starter circuit.  That way I can use the manual decomp on a cold start by being in neutral and if I kill it at an intersection I should be able just pull the clutch and restart assuming the bike is warmed up and can do without decomp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 01:20:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re-wiring without decomp, clutch and stand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.