Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bleed or Not To Bleed ? (Read 202 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Bleed or Not To Bleed ?
Reply #15 - 12/24/17 at 18:49:56

The drawing of the carb Vercy shows is not our carb. I believe it is a BS-40 ,  but ours is a BS-40-SS ,just looking at both drawings you will note that even the shape of the bottom of the slides is different  Dave's matches ours as the slide has no cut away ,  it is flat, and the air jet only supplies air to the needle (main ) jet . there is no passage to the pilot jet as Dave and I stated earlier .Both types of pilot jet will function the same .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
RazBarlow

Timing Is Everything
! R U Advanced or
Retarded ?

Keene Texas
Reply #16 - 12/24/17 at 19:30:22

So, in other words but which ever ones are cheaper .

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 12/24/17 at 21:21:47

Yes ,but it won't help you much ,I hate to say it but your intake and exhaust systems(pictured) don't lend themselves to good performance. You need to research what does.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 12/25/17 at 02:52:04

This bleed/no bleed holes issue is confusing....even to experienced folks like the techs at Jets-R-Us and Sudco.  The problem arises is there are so many different carb styles, and most of them to have pilot jets that require bleed holes......our Savage carb does not provide any air to the carb body surrounding the pilot jet - so the bleed holes serve no function.  That is why the original jet doesn't have any holes.  If you are in doubt about this issue.....carefully inspect the place where the pilot jet screws into the carb, and you will not find any drilled passages that supply air to the side of the pilot jet.

If you order new replacement pilot jets online or from a dealer - buy them without the bleed holes.  If you go to your local dealer, bike shop or have a friend who has pilot jets with bleed holes - go ahead and use them as the holes won't do a thing - as there is no air source for the bleed holes....the pilot jet will work as if it didn't have any holes the side.
(Armen should use the pilot jet with bleed holes to save weight... in his quest for the ultimate lightest Savage). Grin

If there is no opposition to this issue - I will prepare a thread on this issue to be placed in the Tech Session.....as this subject comes up fairly often.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 12/25/17 at 03:03:11

RazBarlow wrote on 12/24/17 at 19:30:22:

Batman and I are in agreement on this one......a POD filter and a muffler that you poke a broom stick through make it very difficult to get a good running engine.  The pod filter creates a turbulent air stream, often has a very limited amount of filter media area, some block the slide vent at the top of the carb, and they can make if very difficult to jet the carb in a way that provides a smooth power delivery.  An unrestricted exhaust also makes it difficult to get a good running engine, and your power may be reduced.  (If you still want cheap and loud, the EMGO short megaphone does provide a baffle system that provides adequate restriction - while still being obnoxiously loud).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RazBarlow

Timing Is Everything
! R U Advanced or
Retarded ?

Keene Texas
Reply #20 - 12/25/17 at 05:35:45

Dave wrote on 12/25/17 at 03:03:11:
RazBarlow wrote on 12/24/17 at 19:30:22:

Batman and I are in agreement on this one......a POD filter and a muffler that you poke a broom stick through make it very difficult to get a good running engine.  The pod filter creates a turbulent air stream, often has a very limited amount of filter media area, some block the slide vent at the top of the carb, and they can make if very difficult to jet the carb in a way that provides a smooth power delivery.  An unrestricted exhaust also makes it difficult to get a good running engine, and your power may be reduced.  (If you still want cheap and loud, the EMGO short megaphone does provide a baffle system that provides adequate restriction - while still being obnoxiously loud).

I smell what you are stepping in .
But this is a Father / Son build and my son thinks that it looks cool .
He thinks if RYCA uses the pod filters on their builds that they must work good .
And he likes the look of the shorty .
My motto is " Function Over Fashion " but sometimes he doesn't agree.

This will be his first street bike so I am thinking things like these will change after he gets some miles under his belt .

Hey ,
Have A Merry Christmas !!!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 12/25/17 at 10:08:03

Raz , I don't smell what your stepping in, You state that top speed is not a concern ,if the bike will do 75mph ,but you would like faster acceleration, then you ask if a150 /90/15 tire will fit the bike The stock140/80/15 or a 140/90/15 would allow faster acceleration. The pod filter would not be so bad if you placed it on an extended intake ,which would allow the flow of air to straighten before entering the carb ,the length of the extension could also increase compression and power in certain ranges of rpm by 4-7-or 10% better VE.The length of the exhaust header is 32 " stock with the length being normally between 30 and 34" for motors of 650cc ,longer favors lower rpm ,shorter favors higher , but the pressure wave needs to expand at the end of the header pipe to reverse and reach the exhaust valve just before it closes to remove the last gases and help draw in a fresh charge .the adapter between the header and muffler does not allow the wave to expand and so it has to travel all the way to the end of the muffler where it reverses but arrives back at the exhaust valve much to late and finds it closed . so everything you have done to the bike has moved you farther away from your goal.Changing to what I assume is a larger pilot jet will ,drop your mpg,foul your plug and and you'll not see any more power ,because the motor isn't "breathing" .You and your boy need to rethink this ,pretty don't cut it! Ryca's design for their intake and exhaust on their hardtail  is one of the worst for performance of any kit I've ever seen,(JUNK) if you think they new what they were doing your sadly mistaken.their header pipe is way to short( our bikes don't turn 9000 rpm)and their stock muffler uses fiberglass packing which blows out in a week. A pod filter bolted directly on the carb produces less power than the stock air box and filter.

« Last Edit: 12/30/17 at 11:25:29 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:46:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bleed or Not To Bleed ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.