Send Topic Print
Leaking oil (Read 134 times)
24fonz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leaking oil
12/14/17 at 20:53:40

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 97 Suzuki Savage as my first bike.  I'll admit I don' know a lot about bikes but I'm learning so I'm sorry if this seems naive.

I noticed the is a small oil leak in the engine and I'm having a hard time figuring out why.  Before I bought it the bike was stored in a barn for a few years but it runs good.  I changed the oil and filters in the last couple weeks.  If it's a part that needs replaced I'm confident I can figure out how I just don't know where to start.  

I live in Northeast Pennsylvania so it'll be a few months till I get to ride again so plenty of time for me to make any needed fixes.

Anyone know where I should start with this?  See the attached pictures.  Thanks.

IP Logged
24fonz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Leaking oil
Reply #1 - 12/14/17 at 21:02:30

I am trying to load the picture,

20171214_234340_2_001.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/14/17 at 21:50:25

oil leaks down so you should look higher.
give her a good scrubbing then go for a ride and look her over.
there are several bolts with washers on top.
there's 2 valve inspection covers.
and there's a plug hidden under the cover, but you can see where it'll leak out in a hole by the left side of the header.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 12/14/17 at 22:53:41

That looks like the front left side of the head to me.If you still have the chrome covers on the top of the motor you might try tightening ( gently they snap  pretty easy )the nut on the front , it not only holds the cover on but also helps seal the cylinder head cover.(The only one of the four bolts that holds the covers that does need to be in place.)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
24fonz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/15/17 at 05:16:41

Thanks for the advice.  I'll get into it this weekend and let you know.  I appreciate it. Love this forum.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #5 - 12/19/17 at 14:21:01

what kind of torque on the head cover bolts?  I have had a slow leak for years, never did the plug seal, never had the tank off.

I understand ft-lbs or lb-inches - but I would not use expect to use a torque wrench since mine is I think a bendy/breaky 15-150 ft-lbs.  ACTUALLY it looks like 0-75, 3/8inch.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 12/20/17 at 17:06:49

I believe the torque is 8 ft/lbs But I would advise anyone to not use a torque wrench as many of these bolts have snapped off trying,(sometimes far inside the head ,a huge problem) . It is better to snug these by hand using a slight wrist pull and shortest wrench /1/4 " drive socket .If it still leaks you can always tighten a tiny bit more . If it still leaked I would use a bit of RTV under the head of the bolt and reinsert rather than risk snapping the bolt.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/20/17 at 22:41:50

Use Your touch. It's Much Better to need to snug it again than figure out how to fix a broken bolt or stripped threads.
So you have two saying that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:14:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.