Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Dead red light" question (Read 142 times)
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
"Dead red light" question
12/10/17 at 13:04:07

The weather this year in Colorado is great for us motorcyclists... I went on a long ride yesterday on my Sportster, and today on the S40. Normally, the roads I take either have no traffic lights, or traffic lights with enough traffic to trigger them.

Not today. On two occasions, I was stopped at a red light that did not want to change. I know that only 16 states allow a motorcycle to go though a red light that does not change, with differences as to what a "dead red light" consists of - two or three cycles, or a certain amount of time, or..?

I cannot find the answer online for Colorado. Is it a state that allows motorcycles to go through a "dead red light", or not? Is there a site with information about which states allow this kind of thing, or not?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: "Dead red light" question
Reply #1 - 12/10/17 at 13:41:51

Of course not a question I would like to answer on an outastate ride, and there'll always be that ahole cop.  But most are reasonable and if you've waited 2 cycles I'd go... and most likely I would go at 1 if there was no traffic to contend with.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/10/17 at 14:16:04

If they gave me a ticket for it, I'd go to court...
What are you supposed to do,.. go home?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 12/10/17 at 15:20:03

Go to Harbor Freight and get a 150lb pick-up magnet. About $15, mount it under the bracket for the C. Converter, and the lights WILL trip. Over the last 2 years I only found one that did not trip for me. It does cut down on your ground clearance thou, only noticeable when rolling over logs.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 12/10/17 at 15:27:20

Roll the bike up to one of the sensor wires embedded in the road, turn the bike off and then fire it back up. The magnetic field generated by the starter  should trigger the sensor most of the time.  Or just say F*** it and run the light when the road is clear.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 12/10/17 at 17:38:41

I have a magnet from a hard drive mounted on the bottom of my frame , I just center it over that tar line and the light changes. What they call a rare earth magnet,buy them on eBay. I got 2 at work the size of silver dollars and you don't want to get your finger between then. Those pick up magnets are large & heavy ,these tiny magnets put out a larger stronger  magnetic field. You can also buy a Greenlighter kit on eBay.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 12/10/17 at 18:16:07

I'm with ED !  :   Or just say F*** it and run the light when the road is clear.

In Tn. its legal to "just run it" when clear , but we're supposed to wait one cycle

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 12/10/17 at 18:44:16

It does cut down on your ground clearance thou, only noticeable when rolling over logs. [/quote]

OK ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #8 - 12/10/17 at 19:36:56

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I have a hard drive magnet which I stuck on the frame, just like Ruttly did.  I still don't know if it's legal to go though a "dead red light" in Colorado, but I won't have to worry about that if the magnet works!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/11/17 at 03:50:37

Take a right, do a u turn, and ride

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/11/17 at 04:58:19

Most of the lights I come up to will acknowledge my existence and change.

If the traffic is sparse and I can safely pull out after a significant wait - I will.  (Since I am old and grey haired and not riding a sport bike or rat rod....my chances of explaining my action to the LEO are pretty good).

If there is heavy traffic - I will make a right turn on red and turn around at the next legal opportunity.

Another option arises when a car comes up behind you - you can pull ahead of the traffic loop.stop bar and try to get the car behind you to pull up onto the loop detector - sometimes you have to walk back and tell them what is going on and you need their help!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 12/11/17 at 06:21:25

Some have added strong magnet under the bike ( magnets from an old microwave may be a good bet) or you could try hitting your kill switch and restarting the bike ,the magnetic field from the alternator /starter motor may be enough to trigger the light.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #12 - 12/11/17 at 08:17:40

I added a magnet yesterday, and if that does not work, hopefully the "kill switch trick" will. That being said, the first time I came across a "dead red light" in over a year of riding was yesterday, so it's not that big a problem!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 12/11/17 at 15:25:36

Oklahoma has a sensible law that says if you need to make a left turn at a light, and the signal does not come on, then after a full cycle of the lights you may make your left turn when traffic is clear.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 12/11/17 at 20:25:47

See here for states that allow running a dead red light. Scroll down toward the bottom.
https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/how-dead-red-laws-let-motorcycles-run-re...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 14:32:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › "Dead red light" question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.