Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings. (Read 3593 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.
Reply #330 - 04/04/18 at 15:39:47

C'mon we voted may 13 or may 19... remember?

Best wishes for your wifes lumpy

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #331 - 04/04/18 at 15:55:07

Far as I know , I'm still in , and I'm in for my part of the rent anyway .   I'm wanting a ride !  Smiley   Two days to get there and a week of South Texas when I do !  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #332 - 04/07/18 at 10:33:09

Good News !  Smiley

So , the wife's lumpectomy is the 18th .   That is near a month away from my departuare date for our Kerrville trip (12th of May)  Cool.  

I'm thinking leaving Saturday morning the 12th and going west till I meet the Natchez trace , then going South on it till I get to the campground at the southern end at the MS/LA border.   Camp the night , and spend the next night (13th May) with ya in Kerrville.    That makes for two 500+ mile days.

The next thing to do is plan the GAS stops ... along the trace they can be few and far between.   But , there are some good points about ridding the 50 mph trace .   At 50 mph I get 60 mpg !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Scotty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #333 - 05/17/18 at 09:17:01

Used to live in Houston... pretty good riding out in the hill country. I moved to East TN a little less than 2 years ago and now even my ride to work is awesome! I'm an hour from Cherohala, an hour from the Gap, and even less to the Devils Triangle. Great riding if anyone makes it out this way.

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Re: Savage Events for 2018
Reply #334 - 05/17/18 at 15:47:36

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 12/11/17 at 05:25:37:
Dave wrote on 12/11/17 at 04:44:17:
Gary_from_NJ and I are planning to get together somewhere in PA for a weekend.  No date or location has yet been selected.  The local experienced riders/travelers claim the PA roads are generally in poor shape, and they tend to schedule trips in other areas - we chose PA as it is a reasonable drive for both Gary and I.  

I'm thinking the northern part of WV to the SW corner of PA - right in the heart of the Appalachian mountains. This would be something I would trailer my bike(s) to. I'm happy with primitive camping...but I'm even happier to have a bathroom and running water.

That sounds very interesting to me as im located in the south western corner of NY.state, the "Alleghany Foothills" region of the mighty Appalachians!
It would ne great to meet some of you folks! Smiley

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #335 - 07/01/18 at 10:05:20

Just perused the seasonal weather in the NC mountains -- next favorable period of decent temperatures and "relatively less rain" is the weeks of August-September.    October breaks cold and is unusable.

Hurricanes will disrupt this pretty picture, but have so far been sporadic and spread out pretty good this year.

-------------------------------   Old Man's Tour of the Good Places  ------------------------------------

this is just a sketch -- there are no details to it yet as the details depend on who is going.

Ride up, stay a night at Kickstand in the Bunkhouse, visit the Dragon Zoo for nostalgia's sake stop by Fontana Dam on the way down, go see the Road to Nowhere then get on the start of Blue Ridge Parkway at Cherokee and meander up the Blue Ridge to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground and sleep in a cabin, mebbe eat dinner at the Rib place in Waynesville that we liked so much and do the roads we liked in that area.   Take 1 night, maybe two if stuff to do presented itself.   This constitutes a single long weekend trip to this point.

Next section isn't detailed out, but involves Mt Pisgah, Little Switzerland and Hwy 80.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #336 - 07/05/18 at 13:59:23

Next section isn't detailed out, but involves Mt Pisgah, Little Switzerland and Hwy 80.

If Little Switzerland is involved then I'm in for a "EASY-GOING" sight seeing type ride.   Those roads up there are "No-Joke-Cliffs" , but the Sights from up there should be on everybody's bucket list !   Wink

OldFeller if Versey is still up for Cody in August you want to put the bikes in the back of my truck and go "Site Seeing" ?     Or    Stay local and see more of NC. ?    Huh

I prefer to go durning the week when traffic is low , but , if the weekend is all we get then , Ok !

Aren't  those cabins are two night min , and need to be reserved ?  

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #337 - 07/05/18 at 16:23:31

About Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground and their policies .......  if a cabin isn't rented or reserved, he will rent it on the day of.     I have NEVER seen all the cabins rented at the same time, especially during the week.    I think we can have a cabin if we want one.

He has copious grassy areas to put a tent on, no reservations needed.   We have stayed in a tent before when needed, you got a dandy blue one.

If all that fails, would you believe this exists less than 10 minutes away from Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground going up towards the Parkway?  

Free too, hard to argue with free.

https://freecampsites.net/#!158897&query=sitedetails

It is my opinion that we get too all tied up reserving places and having the weather (or ever changing circumstances) rob us of our money.

I have no plans to go to the center of the USA this summer, my ability to sit the bike that long just does not exist any more.   My willingness to sit in a truck for at least 4 days just to cover the long long driving distances also just doesn't exist any more either.

Pick a time span you are interested in for the meander trip and sorta decide how long you want to stay gone.   The meander trips have always been 4-5 days long by the time we actually finished them as they are paced rather casually.

.... take one of these ....

..... and 3 of these (loaded) ......

...... with one of these for a little deflashing & legal type hearing protection ......

Gots to have us a little bit of chipmunk protection, you know --- we are going into wild rabid chipmunk territory again and our VERY LIVES are at risk accordingly .......

As far as Little Switzerland goes, commercial campgrounds abound near and around Hwy 80.   If you want some free camping, it exists off the Parkway shortly before you get to Little Switzerland.

https://freecampsites.net/#!9138&query=sitedetails

Remember that little stone restaurant that we ate dinner and breakfast at?   Who knows, it might still be there.  

Remember the exiting the eatery after dark in the silent, echoing heavy sound deading
inside the cloud FOG ...... the fog ...... the fog ..... the fog  ????    

The eerie glowing lights of the completely silent 18 wheeler that went by us as we were saddling up?      That piercing scream of that little chipmunk as you crushed his back legs and tail with your front tire?

He vowed revenge you know, and they still have your wanted poster up on the entrance wall inside the chipmunk burrow.

« Last Edit: 07/08/18 at 07:14:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

images_002.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #338 - 07/05/18 at 17:47:15

reviewing calendar  Huh

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #339 - 07/05/18 at 19:14:35

MMRanch wrote on 07/05/18 at 13:59:23:
OldFeller if Versey is still up for Cody in August you want to put the bikes in the back of my truck and go "Site Seeing" ?     Or    Stay local and see more of NC. ?    Huh

No point of me going on your bucket list ride alone.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #340 - 07/05/18 at 19:22:16

Sorry Versy, my legs have given up so badly, but no joke, I have to pace out mowing the entire lawn out over several days now.  

The steep tilted parts get a special "fresh, early in the morning" run and I catch the easier (larger) parts of the lawn separately.

But I am enjoying planning for chipmunk protection .....

download_001.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #341 - 07/05/18 at 21:40:52

I've got be back by Aug. 4th.   I'm thinking July 30 ,31 , Aug. 1st and 2nd.with ridding home the 3rd of Aug.  (weather permitting) .    

Do those dates sound Doable to anyone else ?  Huh
If they do then I'll bounce them off the wife for approval .

Roll Eyes

Versey , your as good of a  friend as anybody could ask for  !   Smiley    I guess I'm just not wanting  to ride that far by myself.  

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #342 - 07/06/18 at 15:05:49

Here is a climate chart (temp low temp high and rain) that allows an easy comparison on the temperatures.

July is HOT anytime you come off the mountain tops.    We have a history of eating up some tires when we go to the mountains during July early August time period.

Got anything free on your calendar in late August-early September?
« Last Edit: 07/07/18 at 02:47:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Screenshot_at_2018-07-06_18-01-47_001.png

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #343 - 07/09/18 at 14:58:07

Versey, sorry I let you down also. I was really looking forward to the August adventure but just no way I can take off for 2 weeks at once at this time due to the construction of our new building. I am hoping to be able to get off for at least a week, let me rephrase that, I will be taking at least a week vacation sometime soon. Meaning I am open to a ride that I can get done in one week.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #344 - 07/09/18 at 16:50:12

MM, have you found our Tennessee mountain boy yet?

Springman, just how HOT do you want it to be while you are taking your week's ride?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 23:55:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.