Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings. (Read 3593 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Savage Events for 2018
Reply #165 - 01/17/18 at 11:17:23

I went on and bought a new tire last night :

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/avon-am26-roadrider-m...

I had one of these on the Front of that first Savage and ran it for near 30,000 miles and it still had about 1/3 of its tread when I sold it .   That tire made many , many Dragon runs and always felt good and solid.   So , I'm going to try one on the Rear of the Guzzi .   If it will stay looking good for 15,000 miles then I'll get another like it for the next time.    I really don't like changing tires !   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #166 - 01/20/18 at 20:23:49

Ordered that new tire on the 16th and got it on the 19th ...Its "Pretty" ! Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #167 - 01/21/18 at 02:53:08

Ordered a fresh battery for the Barcalounger, the old battery I bought it with wouldn't take a full charge and hold a starting charge for more than a day.

MM, what ground rules are we gonna have concerning RAIN or other bad weather?

A week long trip might have a short rain event take place, logically speaking.   We will both have rain suits with us and with Miami and it's up the coast co-cities very nearby for distractions so we could kill a day in town with no big issues.

But what would constitute "weather too nasty"?

« Last Edit: 01/21/18 at 05:48:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #168 - 01/21/18 at 11:50:05

Wow OldFellow ...  Huh

If the weather was turning Cold and Damp , that would turn me off to the Idea of a Ridding/Camping trip.   We should be able to see the weather that will be repeating by watching the same week in Feb.    Remember the weather cycle is on a 28 day repeat cycle .   Seasonally adjusted o-course !  Wink

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #169 - 01/21/18 at 14:13:08

Good news is that with zero dollars pre-paid into the trip, cancellations won't be an ouch on anybody should they actually be needed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #170 - 01/21/18 at 16:38:33

MMRanch wrote on 01/21/18 at 11:50:05:
Remember the weather cycle is on a 28 day repeat cycle.

So you are saying that the weather is female? Huh

Mother Nature?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #171 - 01/21/18 at 17:03:35

Yes , Dave :

So you are saying that the weather is female?  

The Weather is as figgled as any Female ...   Grin

no wait !

They both like the moon cycle  , I still don't have a Farmers Almanac  so I'm kind of winging it here .  
But ?

If the Weather durning Feb 9-18  
is like
the Weather Jan. 12-22

Then we may be on to something !  

Does any body remember what the Weather was 28 days back ?
That would be :
Dec.15-24 ?
Roll Eyes

So , we're watching for the weather for Feb. 9-18 to be : a seasonally adjusted version of Jan. 12-22 ?   to see if this works out ... or ... I just go buy a Farmers Almanac  ???  Huh

I think I remember Jan 12-22 as being mostly cold with a little bit of moister .

OldFeller , I (think) I remember the few days before Jan. 12 as being warmer ...

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #172 - 01/21/18 at 19:48:10

Hay , OldFeller

You know if you don't want to hang-out in Daytona for a day or two , then we don't have to have a planned date .    

We can just wait till the weather is agreeable ... and GO !

The Carnaval of Bike Week is "Kin" to the Dragon on a Saturday Afternoon !  Grin   Only more-so  Grin Grin

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #173 - 01/21/18 at 22:04:41

MM,

I can tolerate Daytona for about a day,  but you should pick the day that contains the stuff you really want to see as spending a day at a Hurley Dealership milling around with a crowd of hurley people isn't any sort of fun to me.

Yes, I share your dislike of cold and wet, but understand it can happen periodically in the springtime.   So far we are staying close to a city in both places, so we can run go find a hotel or kill a day gun shopping if need be.

Do you remember why your original trip to Daytona Bike Week got cut short?

Just curious ....

Here is the "way out in time" weather report on March, we know it doesn't pick up any reality much at all until 2 weeks out so I'm not too bent over it at the moment.

Meet up area by Lake City Florida, near Jacksonville.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lake-city-fl/32055/month/332305?monyr=3/01/...

Down by DuPuis / Indiantown (main camping place)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/indiantown-fl/34956/month/15185_pc?monyr=3/...

You will notice that DuPuis has 80o days and 60o nights while Jacksonville and Orlando area is 10o colder just by being that much further north.

Also remember, we are 2 hrs away and can go back for any special Bike Week event you really want to see.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #174 - 01/22/18 at 07:29:39

OldFeller ,

You must have a magic touch or something !   Smiley        That idea of Staying in DuPuis  is a really good thing according to the Long Range forecast.

I'm sure there will be a good day or two for exploring North Florida during our stay.    
And
With any luck , we'll have a local "Tour Guide" or two to show us around .    Finding those neat little places that get missed by folks who don't live in the area.

You know one day we'll need to go as far South as possible , another day go over to the gulf.   I don't care to much for those Tourist Trap Attractions and such .

That 2014 trip to Daytona was out of curiosity mostly .   I stayed at the ABATE camp ground for three nights .    
The first day was spent at the JB Cycles/Harley Davidson compound.   It was full of venders from Trucks through Insurance companies.   It was a circus for sure !
The second day I went over to the Speedway all day.   It was a SEA of Cycles and Friendly Folks a Ridding them.  
Every night at the campground there was a fire going in the pit .   Most of the other campers drank Beer instead of Water or Mt.Dew but I couldn't really hold that against em.
But you know what ?
It just wasn't any Fun not having one of my Friend there .

« Last Edit: 01/22/18 at 20:57:24 by MMRanch »  

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #175 - 01/24/18 at 04:35:11

MMRanch wrote on 01/22/18 at 07:29:39:

OldFeller ,

I'm sure there will be a good day or two for exploring North Florida during our stay.    
And
With any luck , we'll have a local "Tour Guide" or two to show us around .    Finding those neat little places that get missed by folks who don't live in the area.

Has Ed L said anything further about the "neat little places" he was talking about?    BadWolf wants us to bring .22 long rifle ammo to go steel shooting with him and I will bring a hundred or so rounds just so I can see how bad my eyesight has gotten.    Tongue

I also just ordered a better grade of Quorelle HPE plastic jugs for my auxillary gas system -- this new stuff won't permit "gas stink" to migrate nearly as much as the previous jugs did.

Live and learn ......

« Last Edit: 01/24/18 at 05:37:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #176 - 01/24/18 at 06:38:07

Sometimes it might be nice to have a "Bladder" to lay in the bottom of each saddle bag.   Even if it was only 1/2 gal in each bag.    
What kind of jugs did you find ? Huh

Ive had the thought of getting one of those "Tanks" that fit on the luggage rack.   Then putting it inside of the tail-trunk to hide it.   Giving up the Tail-Trunk space is the problem !   Grin

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #177 - 01/24/18 at 07:20:19

I checked into flexible bladders, they are VERY EXPENSIVE and only one out there would fit into a bag and it would likely leak smell like my original jugs did -- at $300x2 just to try it, no sale to this poor old boy.

You have seen the jugs I use, 2.6 gallons that use up about 65% of my bag space.   My current theory if I can get the stink issue under control I can live with what I've got for an aux fuel system.

Do you have a fuel pump in your Guzzi?  

If not then you are limited to the up high little aluminum beer kegs .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #178 - 01/24/18 at 07:42:52

Grin

Do you have a fuel pump in your Guzzi?    

The Guzzi comes stock with 5.5 gals.  

The S-40 still only has 3.5 to the bottom of the filler neck inside the tank.  
It's the one I haul extra fuel in/on .    The S-40 is still the all-day cruser I like to ride !  Smiley
I don't like ridding over 70-75 mph anyway.  
Thinking of the ability to go , makes me think of the ability to Stop .     That better caliper I got from Dave is a wonderful thing .    I bought a pair of them off a SV-650 to donate to the cause when I get the chance...

So , did ya find something better to haul gas in than a bunch of red painted Sea-foam cans ?

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #179 - 01/24/18 at 09:01:15

I also just ordered a better grade of Quorel HPE plastic jugs for my auxillary gas system -- this new stuff hopefully won't permit "gas stink" to migrate nearly as much as the previous jugs did.

They are still the same plastic 2.6 gallon jugs, just made from the stiff bone white plastic they ship paint thinner in.

You can take a sniff and a look in a month or two, then we will both know if they are really worth using.    

Right now, it is a $35 theoretical trial sort of thing.

Roll Eyes

If you want to rubber neck some tanks that could go up on a Savage sissy bar mount, look here.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=104163&catid=578

P.S.    The Barcalounger jest got its oil and its front brake fluid changed, and the bike fired right up and idled fine as soon as both cylinders got properly fueled up.

(Suzuki ran the fuel supply for the front carb through the back carb, so before the front carb fires off the rear carb has to be completely fueled up and the lines between the two completely filled, and only then does the front fuel bowl really begin to fill.   Odd, huh.   There can be as much as a minute before both cylinders are really firing properly by design.)

Previous Dr. Owner told me the bike had never once run correctly after a winter's storage and the stealership firmly instructed him to bring it back in for "carb cleaning" if it did that odd "stall and run" action the first thing in the springtime.    After 10 years he would just call them to come and get it every spring and then paid them an average of $325 in shop labor hours to "take the carbs apart, rebalance them and fix it all up".

Roll Eyes     ...... this likely meant either charge the battery or replace it and run some seafoam through the tank.

==================================================

It was 50 degrees today, so I worked on my bikes some and got them to the stage they could be inspected.   So I put a paperback in my pocket and ran them out to the Cycle Shop in by turns.

I don't go to Stealerships any more for inspections since I discovered this little hole in the wall Cycle Shop does bike inspections with no waiting.

Roll Eyes

Well, both bikes made it through inspection OK and I have given each bike a one tank dose of seafoam on the theory that a couple of bucks worth of Seafoam certainly can't hurt anything, and historically list-wide Seafoam does a good job of partially stopping "stored alky gas" issues from fouling things up.    

So, I Stabil'd the gas in the fall and Seafoamed the first few tanks in the very early spring so I guess that even Bill would bless my new set of semi-superstitious yearly maintenance rituals.

The Barcalounger got a "pretty bike" complement from the bike inspection guys, who wanted to know FYI what sort of aftermarket can system I was using in the bags.   I told them it was a matched set of small outboard gas cans which satisfied their curiosity well enough, I guess.

So, as soon as my new hard white scent free Quorel HPE 2.6 gallon jugs get here I will put the "5.2 gallons in the saddle bags" auxiliary fuel system back together.

====================================================

On Sunday (very next day) I got a fail to crank on the Barcalounger so I pulled the battery and found it was an old style liquid acid battery that was running mostly dry on two cells.

I had already bought a new style AGM glass mat battery from Walmart.com on-line CHEAP like a month ago figuring I was gonna need one this year.  So I went to put it in and I got me a surprise, the new battery is like an inch and a half shorter than the original battery.   All the upper bulky slosh acid baffles are gone from the new AGM battery of course, and that simply makes the battery that much shorter.   Modern AGM batteries are simply better batteries (and that made it yet shorter still as less plate area is needed).

The battery box on the VS800 is odd for another reason, it opens from the bottom like a trap door, you stick the battery up in the blind hole, push it up into place and lock the trap door with a couple of bolts and the tight fit of the battery in the box gives you all rattle control and aligns the terminals to match up to the rather small clearance access windows that are cut on the up high blind ends of the box.

Next stupidity, the stock battery required two 90o battery lug ADAPTORS to move the connections to a sideways connection pattern which also made it a bloody pain in the arse to get the battery to come out of the steel battery box itself without arcing on steel.  

I decided I could do better for myself than paying $136 for a FACTORY STOCK liquid acid Yuasa battery (yep, they still sell them as the stock battery is the only thing that would go into the odd arrangement and actually still mate up to the little box windows using the battery lug adaptors).

Issue on the 15 year old bike is that the little access windows in the steel battery box (so you can get to the terminal bolts on the lug adaptors) no longer get even close to matching up to the new style shorter AGM battery's terminals, so I spent Sunday all day pulling side covers and wiring connections and setting me up some "Generic Battery Connections" that come in from the top of the battery box.

So now I can stage literally any applicable AGM battery of any terminal orientation on my old rectangular Savage box lift* and after jacking the Barcalounger up high on my hydraulic motorcycle jack.  I can sit comfortably in a chair, drop the trap door, catch the old battery on the box lift, remove the two battery connections that come down from above (lots of room in there now for some coiled up extra cable length as the batteries are so much shorter than they used to be).

I can now go buy any applicable 12 volt AGM motorcycle battery that is currently selling for a reduced price as long as it is about 3 1/2" x 6 1/4" on the bottom rectangle form.    Likely any lithium motorcycle battery would work fine too.

Bike starts instantly now, so I am good to go for Florida.

* (very ancient Savage tech, that 15 year old simple box lift, only the real Savage old timers remember the original board box lift that would lift either front tire or back tire (you pick which one this time) just by tilting the bike up a tad on the side stand and then siding the wooden box into the correct place by tapping it in the correct place with your foot.

« Last Edit: 01/29/18 at 08:19:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 08:04:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.