Fork tubes (Read 142 times)
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Fork tubes
12/02/17 at 10:38:22

Hi y'all, I am returning a wrecked '03 LS650 Savage to the road. This bike was taken out of service after the wreck and twisted the frame and forks, which are toast. I located another frame, but it doesn't have forks.

Most of the front forks survived the crash. The triple and lowers appear  undamaged (I said appear. I am not positive they are straight) . The brunt of the accident was to the frame neck and fork tubes.

My question: I am having some issues finding Savage fork tubes. Has anyone ever done a crossover for them? Are there any other models of Suzuki that used the same fork tubes? Has anyone grafted the front end of another bike to an LS650?

I'm not building a show bike, just a runner, so I am not concerned with being period correct or whatever. I would like to expand my search, though, to include potential substitutes. I would not mind putting a better front end from another bike on this S40 Savage, if there is one that is a straight swap.

Thanks.

Patrick

The glorious rays of dawn exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fork tubes
Reply #1 - 12/02/17 at 11:22:11

Location?

WWW   IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #2 - 12/02/17 at 11:34:02

I am just north of Austin, TX. I will fill out my profile, if I can find where.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/02/17 at 11:40:17

WWW   IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #4 - 12/02/17 at 13:25:59

Profile updated. I was actually considering beefing up the suspension on this bike and making it into a dual sport. Right now it is street only. I was hoping this was not a new idea and some pioneer had discovered say, inverted forks that would bolt onto this model.

With all the knowledge on this forum I figured it was a well traveled path.

Patrick

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/02/17 at 15:12:27

I did put vz800 front end on my beast, but not bolt on.
the spindle needs to be shortened and as is will hit the tank.
other than that, they are inverted and cartridge style forks.
If you have the wrecked tree in hand, finding something close at a junkyard is not out of the question.

WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 12/02/17 at 15:23:20

Or, you could go for broke. Grin

http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/suzuki-LS650-Savage.htm

I think there have been a few members that have used these.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 12/02/17 at 16:47:13

A dual sport Savage? I'd just buy a DR650.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #8 - 12/02/17 at 22:24:09

Whoa, going for broke is right, SALB. A piece more than I have in it already...

This bike fell into my hands, Gary, so my investment is real low. The motor is essentially new. I figured a thumper like this 650 could find a better life than buzzing to the Walmart.

Patrick

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 12/03/17 at 04:47:29

AustinEire wrote on 12/02/17 at 22:24:09:
This bike fell into my hands, Gary, so my investment is real low.

It won't be. Custom builds eat money. My last two builds have each cost me over $5,000 after the cost of the bike. Savage to dual sport is a massive undertaking. How many builds have you done? How are your welding skills? I'm not saying don't do it, just know what you're getting into. You're starting with a wrecked bike. First you have to unwreck it.

I can't imagine the Savage 38mm forks being used on an off road bike weighing over 300 pounds. I'd find a complete USD fork with t-clamps and adapt that. That would also allow the ability to mount properly braced handlebars that can withstand the duty of off road riding. There aren't any bolt on options, you're gonna have to cut, weld and modify.

Since you're gonna have to weld the head pipe anyway for your frame repairs , I'd  consider setting up your frame jig for a reduction in the rake to something closer to 25 degrees. Don't forget to take into consideration the effect of the rim selection on the rake. Oh, rear travel will be limited to about 4 inches, and that's after a chain conversion. It's about 2-1/2" with the belt. Belt drives and rocks don't get along well, I'd do a chain conversion.

Have you checked out the RYCA scrambler or tracker kits?

IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #10 - 12/03/17 at 19:57:22

These are things that are very helpful for me to know, Gary. I haven't really gotten into this bike yet. I only today found a replacement frame, so the serious studying and pondering stage has not yet occurred.

First glance made me think the frame of the bike would be durable enough to go off road. I had not yet looked at clearance and I have never ridden this bike. I have wrenched a few bikes back from an early rust-encrusted grave, though, and currently own a '79 Yamaha XS1100 (my main ride), an '82 Honda VF750, two Honda CB750s ('69 and 75) and a couple of 250cc dirt bikes. All were inoperable and years into solitary decay until they fell to me. Now they all run and look pretty sharp, too.

My wife thinks I should sell some. She doesn't understand.

I don't really need another street bike. This one is in excellent shape, though, so I figured to explore its boundaries. I thought an improved front end and proper shocks could help the thumper provide some fun at the end of the road, where the trail begins.

If, as you say, major work is required to make that happen, I will have to reconsider other boundaries.

Thanks for your input.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 12/04/17 at 05:18:02

A couple of thoughts:

If you're looking for a home for that engine, and want a dual sport, I'd find a way to adapt it to a DR650. It may be as simple as moving one pair of engine mounts (that's about a $40 weld job).

Another thought, this poor guy took a rock to his engine:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1512182587

He too lives in Houston - any he doesn't have the tools or knowledge to re-engine his bike. If you're looking to get rid of that engine, that might be a good place to start. If you're looking for a winter project...he could use the help.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/04/17 at 05:46:27

I do believe you could make a "scrambler" type bike out of the Savage - it would be no better off road than most of the scrambler options made in the 60's.....or even the current models.  It  could be ridden slowly on dirt roads and easy trails - it would not be a dirt bike capable of any aggressive riding as the chassis and suspension are limited.  Once you got it built and got a taste of off-road fun - you would likely want to get something far more capable.

The Savage engine is nice and keeps a lot of us satisfied - but it really is not stellar.  The stock DR650 engine makes significantly more power, and it is already in a frame that has the needed suspension and chassis.....and you likely can find a good used one for the same amount of money it would take to build a Savage Scrambler.

However - some of us like having projects we can build.....and  if a Savage Scrambler is what you want and you can  live with the limitations - look at the RYCA Scrambler kits for inspiration.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #13 - 12/04/17 at 14:46:14

Too late for our friend in Houston. I drove about that far today to pick up another frame. I would be happy to help him work on his bike, but Houston is about 3 hours from Austin.

I'll be a lot more help to him in a few weeks, after I transfer all the good parts from the wrecked bike to the donor frame. I will already have made all the new mistakes I seem to find in every rebuild.

In the meantime, I will return this bike to stock. I have all the parts already.

A question: I have bikes with chains and bikes with driveshafts, but this is my first drive belt. How do you tell when a drive belt needs replacement?

Patrick

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 12/04/17 at 15:08:05

The belt can go forever... or not.
You can shove a rock thru them and they'll keep tickin.
But people have torn straight thru.
So, it depends on how dependent are you with the bike getting you home no matter what.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 17:22:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork tubes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.