Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
loose stone put a hole in my crankcase :( (Read 579 times)
renzo ramone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston
loose stone put a hole in my crankcase :(
12/01/17 at 18:43:05

hi all,
About a month ago, I Pulled up into my driveway and a loose stone hit the bottom of my engine crankcase. Puncturing my 2009 Suzuki S40 with a baseball sized hole.

My Suzuki has been very reliable since I brought it a year ago... But after the hit, oil leaked out all over the floor and i haven't ridden it since.

the local bike shop said I needed a new engine (which i have not seen yet at a decent price).

any fellow owners of the savage/S40 had this problem or know a cheap way to fix?

20171110_132836.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: loose stone put a hole in my crankcase :(
Reply #1 - 12/01/17 at 19:02:00

goto fleabay and get a bottom end and transfer all the good parts, there are quite a few.
depending how much work you can do, it's the cheapest way.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/02/17 at 02:39:54

How Daggum fast were you Goin?
That's a very sad sight.
Excellent opportunity to develop your skills.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/02/17 at 04:59:32

It sure was an unlucky event.....a big hole like that sure doesn't look like something that could happen by a rock thrown by a skinny front tire on a gravel driveway - but how it happened really doesn't matter.  I have never been to Texas yet - perhaps the "everything is bigger in Texas" motto is what caused a stone to do way more damage than expected.

I can't think of anyway to fix that....short of replacing the cases - or bottom end - or engine.  If your head, cam, piston and cylinder are in good shape, they can be moved over to a good bottom end - or you can sell them on eBay and get a good down payment on a used engine.

What are you mechanical skills?  How well are you stocked with tools?  What is your budget? (Based on the bald rear tire I would assume you are on a pretty tight bike budget).  Empty cases are generally not all that cheap, and a bottom end with the transmission in place sure does eliminate a lot of work.....as does a complete engine!  However....good engines that don't need any work are rare.....most engines are from salvage bikes and were either junked as they were worn out - or crashed.  Unfortunately the sellers often haven't been real careful in the dismantling process - and the engine can be stored outdoors or the engines rolled around or dragged across the floor

If your bike needs and engine, tires, brakes, etc.......and you have limited mechanical ability......it might  be best for you to sell this "fixer upper" and start saving to  buy a replacement.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
renzo ramone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston
Reply #4 - 12/02/17 at 06:24:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/02/17 at 02:39:54:
How Daggum fast were you Goin?
That's a very sad sight.
Excellent opportunity to develop your skills.

Honestly, maybe I pulled in way too fast, hitting the brakes as soon as reached the driveway. Lesson learned..

IP Logged
renzo ramone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston
Reply #5 - 12/02/17 at 06:43:26

Dave wrote on 12/02/17 at 04:59:32:
It sure was an unlucky event.....a big hole like that sure doesn't look like something that could happen by a rock thrown by a skinny front tire on a gravel driveway -

What are you mechanical skills?  How well are you stocked with tools?  What is your budget?

If your bike needs an engine, tires, brakes, etc.......and you have limited mechanical ability......it might  be best for you to sell this "fixer upper" and start saving to  buy a replacement.

@Dave
well the entrance to my drive way has been cracking for a while, and i hadn't got around fixing it yet. while pulling up at maybe 15 mph, a loose stone collided with the bottom of my bike.

and my mechanical skills are pretty limited. I can change a battery or something simple but taking apart the engine seems like a challenge..

i have the basic tools that came with the bike, but i know those are limited.

and lastly my Budget is also tight, hence why i was looking for an easy fix. but it looks like there isn't one..  

i may as well start saving for a new bike..

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 12/02/17 at 07:00:10

That damage maybe presented itself when it was hit by a rock, but looking at the clean lines around the hole, that damage was caused a long time ago. That actually looks like a process failure at the factory.

I know that doesn't get you back on the road, but you can stop beating yourself up about it. You didn't cause this failure.

Based on the description of the tools you possess, installing a new engine is beyond your capabilities. You are probably best off selling that as a damaged bike and getting a new one.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #7 - 12/02/17 at 08:15:48

WOW . Never saw anything like that. Feel bad for you.  Good luck.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #8 - 12/02/17 at 08:27:17

Check the local Craigslist for wrecked bikes.  You might just get lucky and find one that still runs (make sure the engine wasn't damaged in the wreck), and any parts left on the bike that are salvagable could be used on your bike or sold to offset the purchase price of the second bike.  You will, however, still be stuck doing the repair/swap yourself.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 12/02/17 at 08:31:19

I had damage similar to that several years back, and though the hole was smaller the end result was the same.
Not sure of your insurance but mine covered the damage.  Check with your insurer and see if they cover road damage since you were riding at the time even though you were entering your driveway.  My bike was not quite 2 years old and not a lot of miles, so they gave me something like $2000 for the damage.  That paid for everything needed (Performance parts 😁) and with hundreds left over.  Yep, GOOD insurance.
So ask, it can't hurt.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 12/02/17 at 10:51:13

If there's no oil passages in that area, clean the busted pieces out of the inside and JB Weld it and go riding. Just remember if you ever have to split the cases, you'll have to break the JB and then redo it when you put it back together.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #11 - 12/02/17 at 14:29:07

You have nothing to lose at this point.
What would I do if I was in the middle of nowhere. Improvise. The worst that can happen is you are where you are now.
I would make a plate of steel or aluminum and put a couple of tags at the diagonal corners and undo the 2 crankcase bolts to use to attach it. make it as close a fit as possible and use some silicone gasket sealer between the plate and the engine after thorough cleaning.
Make sure there is no debris in the crank case.
If it works, ride it while you look for a deal on a replacement engine.

IP Logged
renzo ramone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston
Reply #12 - 12/02/17 at 15:06:13

thanks to all for the replies,
My insurance isn't covering it.. so I'm going to go for broke and try to put the pieces together or metal with jb weld and see if it holds for a month or two.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 12/02/17 at 17:39:07

The area in question looks to be a flat enough surface if you flush out any broken pieces out of the crank case and drain all oil from the motor, I can't see why an aluminum plate couldn't be welded over the hole ,you would never be able to split the cases again , but you may never have to anyway,what do you have to lose by trying? nothing.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #14 - 12/03/17 at 07:43:45

Something to think about for the folks that suggested gobbering up a plate with some gorilla snot:
If the repair leaks at any time-now or in the distant future, a bunch of warm slippery oil will head toward the rear tire in a hurry.
I'm one of those that believes that a painful early death is greatly over-rated as a good time  Wink

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 14:53:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › loose stone put a hole in my crankcase :(

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.