Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
GPS on the Cheap -- NOT !!! (Read 604 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
GPS on the Cheap -- NOT !!!
11/27/17 at 11:58:44

Hindsight is 20-20 ---- things struck through don't apply to the current generation Fire tablets

https://www.target.com/p/amazon-fire-hd-8-with-alexa-8-hd-display-tablet/-/A-...

Hindsight is 20-20 ---- things struck through don't apply to the current generation Fire tablets

Yes, this is a 8" Fire Tablet, current generation for $43 bought on line JUST FOR THE REMAINDER OF TODAY ONLY.   It has a built in GPS and it accepts WiFi communications.   It can also access locally loaded Google Maps (once you get it all properly housebroken, anyway).   It does not have a cellular radio and cannot make phone calls on cell towers .....   It can talk back to you (Alexa will answer a simple question but only if you long press the Home button) and it does support wired earbuds (wires running up under your helmet to your ears)

Google Maps means local loaded maps (downloaded and then saved on the limited amount of local memory).

So, THEORETICALLY for $43 on sale it should be able to do what my phones do, pull in a WiFi signal at McDonalds, change up the locally saved maps, let me plot a modified saved course right on the tablet itself sitting at a booth slurping coffee --- then maintain the same course off the locally saved map on the device itself once I put it back in the handle bar holder and go to rolling again (sensing GPS location directly on the Google Maps app).   Heck, the theory simply didn't pan out, I only picked up Wifi locations, no cell towers were showing up at all -- and you have to manually gain access to the cell towers for a triangulation to take place between them.

This is the trick I use up in the mountains -- worst case seen so far is that I have to restart the thing if it loses its mind, but then I have to be at a greasy Mac's or somewhere else with some free WiFi during the change up period.

To beat this, I carry two phones, both loaded with the same saved map stuff with the backup phone turned off in my saddle bag.   Phone A loses its mind, pull out phone B, plug it into power then turn it on.

Using a tablet to do this job is  VERY THEORETICAL as I haven't actually done it.   Next issue is the handlebar holders for an 8" tablet must be able to resist a lot of wind and impact shake --- they also get a little pricey for the better constructed ones and they take up a lot of handlebar space.   Mounting the thing on a tank bag might be a smarter set up .....

Roll Eyes

Theoretical --- so it sounds a bit like some "stinky brown vapor" jest a talking real real loud -- now don't it?    You also gotta  "house break it" to use the Google Play store and then you got to work around the various things about using a WiFi signal.  

These are skills that are taught on the web that you have to be able to follow along to do properly.

NOTE HOWEVER. it is a pretty durn nice modern, current style Quad core 8" Android tablet with this year's built in "ask Alexis" functionality.   Once the tablet is housebroken, you can go to the Google Playstore and download anything you need to do whatever you want.

« Last Edit: 12/22/17 at 21:21:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: GPS on the Cheap
Reply #1 - 12/02/17 at 20:53:57

bought one last summer to replace a nook. no manual, so i didn't know about gps. thanks! Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 12/02/17 at 22:43:26

Last summer, huh   --   you need to check because I was quoting specs off the brand new ones that just got put on super sale for $43 (normally $80).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 12/02/17 at 23:18:15

paid $80 july! Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 12/03/17 at 02:14:00

Have you housebroken yours so you can get to the Google Play Store?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 12/03/17 at 02:20:33

Have you housebroken yours so you can get to the Google App Store?

Google Maps is required to do the saved maps trick using wifi while sitting at a McDonald's ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 12/03/17 at 11:31:11

I need to head over to u-toob for info! Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 12/03/17 at 12:52:12

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/06/09/how-to-install-google-play-on-201...

https://youtu.be/RZkVxvzRRdw

And to make things easier ...... Amazon just partially fixed their "unknown sources" grey out bug.

https://liliputing.com/2017/12/psa-amazon-releases-fire-os-5-6-update-fixes-inst
all-unknown-sources-bug.html

« Last Edit: 12/04/17 at 13:43:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 12/05/17 at 00:55:09

MITAC MIOMAP M701

It's a cellphone that will take an ordinary SIM chip - not a mini, not a micro, the ordinary one.

It runs WindowsCE which is very light and stable.
Very good touch screen with built-in stylus.
Charges off the ubiquitous mini-USB (the earlier kind)
Replaceable battery (which is nice these days)
Standard size SD-RAM card up to 8GB (which is plenty for a 15 y.o. phone)

It has true GPS capability (not "A-GPS" which is wifi/data assisted)
It has a jack to accommodate an external antenna (i.e. on your pickup or quad or trailbike... canoe?  Cheesy)
It comes standard with MIOMAP GPS Navigator, but it will happily take TOMTOM Navigator 5 or 6.

It will work without a SIM chip, BUT if you slip in an extinct (disconnected) SIM
it will enable you to call 911 whereven, whenever, because it will lock onto any carrier signal it will find.
Which is great because often you may get the "no signal" message on screen not because "no signal" but because you own carrier's signal is lost.
Maybe there's somebody else but you? No signal.
Not so with this baby.
I have two with pouches, one with TOMTOM Navigator and a 10 y.o. map of the 48 lower US, the other with Europe.

I highly recommend it - you can find accessories on AliExpress or AliBaba, and with some luch a complete system on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitac-Mio-A701-DIgiwalker-batteries-memory-map-map...

GB£40 (=~US$50) + s/h

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 12/05/17 at 04:55:06

MM is a believer in these commercial type GPS units.

His GPS units have a little flaw though, when chaining little bits and pieces into a bigger trip, the changeover points MUST BE THE EXACT CENTER OF TOWN AND YOU MUST ACTUALLY TOUCH THE CENTER POINT TO GET THE NEXT CHUNK TO LOAD --- and that little quirk gets tiresome sorta quick.

Google maps has no such quirk, and it updates EVERYTHING when you update the map (and you do that when you start a route).   The updated map includes all active detours, and you can ask Google where the cheapest gas station is,   or nearest pizza, etc. etc. etc.

Plus, if you are killing time, you got your tablet with you.      Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 12/06/17 at 01:40:56

Warning, Will Robinson, Warning !!!!

Relations between Google and Amazon historically tend to blow hot and cold, then warm up to normal ......  and are now blowing FREEZING COLD all over again ....

Right now the two mega players are feuding over smart speakers and the ability to access all the smart devices that are sold in the marketplace.

Amazon started it up again by cutting off Google Home's access to the stuff they sell as Amazon Exclusives.   Then Amazon completely stopped selling Chromecasts when they came up with their own device just recently.   Just now Amazon has just chopped off several other functionality sets that used to work between the two sets of devices.

Google is playing tit for tat now, stopping access of Amazon's stuff to YouTube with the Google Android Play Store Access supposedly coming next (ie. all those "housebroken" Amazon devices just died because both sides have now put roadblocks in the way).

This current feud totally disrupts the idea of using a Cheap Amazon 8" tablet to access Google Maps as a motorcycle GPS.

Until they both start acting like responsible adults again, I wouldn't plan on doing the housebreaking trick to an Amazon Tablet any time soon as you might do it successfully at first, and then LOSE IT with the very next over the air update's changes .....  or worse yet it might happen while you were off on a trip, depending on the device to get you home.

https://liliputing.com/2017/12/google-pulling-youtube-support-amazon-fire-tv-ech
o-show.html

This is all getting a little bit extreme, removing Amazon's access to a WEBSITE .....   maybe a government FCC regulator needs to have a word with the boys.    

Hey, dropping NET NEUTRALITY mebbe wasn't such a good idea after all.

===================================================

Something to also be aware of, there has been a generational change in Amazon Fire Tablets since early last year.   Back then the traces to the GPS portion of the Mediatek SoC were connected and the Fire devices were equipped with a GPS pickup sensor.   Now this is no longer true.  This is a sea change that Amazon did as a cost reduction, part of the $100 cheaper price to buy a Fire tablet.  

Although the SoC still does have GPS direct sense capability the newest Fire Tablets lack the pickup sensor and the necessary wiring to do direct satellite sensing.   They now depend on the much less costly to implement "wifi tracking" which only works well in WiFi rich city type environments.

« Last Edit: 12/10/17 at 09:41:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/06/17 at 05:26:40

I use both a "somewhat" cheap GPS and my Iphone - they both have some merits and disadvantages.

The Iphone does a good job and even can blue tooth with my helmet.  The screen is a bit small, and impossible to program with gloves on.  One huge problem for me is that the text naming the roads is very tiny, and nearly impossible to read on long trips after my eyes get tired.....and if you stop to enlarge the picture on the display - unfortunately the written text on the roads stays the same tiny size.  It is not waterproof and has to be protected if any moisture shows up.  If you don't have a service provider and enough data to keep you going....it  can  cost extra when you go over your limit.  (Thankfully I still have a company business account with unlimited data).  One big disadvantage, and the reason I also keep a dedicated GPS is that I have not downloaded the maps, and I allow the web access/map program to establish the route.  A lot of the areas we like to ride in have weak or no cell service, and as long as you program the route while you have cell service you are fine and you will continue to get route instructions as long as you have satellite access - if you lose cell service you cannot access the map program to reroute and/or you cannot  plot a new route unless you go find some WiFi access.  (Evidently this is not an issue using Oldfellers plan and downloading maps).

I bought a used Garmin Nuvi GPS to use on the motorcycle.  It is waterproof and can stay on the bike all the time, it is a bit small and basic as it does not have bluetooth - but they can be purchased reasonably as a lot of riders have moved up to the fancier models.  It can only hold maps for about 1/4th of the US at a time - if you are riding long distances there is the possibility that you would have to download a new set of maps along your way.....and it takes several hours. Most of the models came with lifetime updates to the original purchaser - so if you buy a used one see if you can get the seller to update the map and load the area you will be riding in (I believe it is around $128 to buy a lifetime subscription for map updates).  I use the Garmin in my car and on my motorcycle regularly, it has a 5-6 hour battery life - I do have a power socket on the bikes to power it for long trips.

I hope that this helps to "supplement" Oldfellers post, and does not derail the thread.  You can buy really cheap GPS  units on eBay - the one MMRanch is using he got for $5....it is not a  waterpoof unit and should not get wet - although his has been wet and continues to work.  I paid about $100 for my Garmin Nuvi (they were far more costly when new),  and I did buy the $128 lifetime map update - it is still much cheaper than buying a new dedicated  motorcycle(waterpoof) GPS.  Those of you who have cell phone data contracts that allow you to use your phone for navigation without excessive data charges most likely don't have any issues - provided you keep your phone dry.

And.....one thing that is also possible - is that you can use an old phone and may not need to buy a new one.  I had a friend that downloaded the maps into his old phone before he took it out of service.....then when his account was switched over to a new phone - he was still able to use his old phone for navigation.  I updated my phone when the battery life  dropped down to 2 hours - but it would have worked fine for navigation  as I could have used it with the power cord plugged in.  If you have an old phone.....or a friend does....download the maps before taking it out of service.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 12/06/17 at 08:01:31

I use a Garmin Nuvi 1100LM that I got used of fleabay for $40 shipped. Near mint condition. Lifetime maps.  Works well, small and compact on the Savage, and if it breaks or gets stolen, not a big investment lost.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 12/06/17 at 22:31:54

So, I think I see a consistent read coming from the guys that an 8" tablet is simply too big to deal with.

Yes, I can copy that, unless you were using the tablet to build your custom route maps while at a WiFi spot and then using SIMM card memory to store them (in which case an 8" tablet would be a good working size IF you put it on top of a tank bag to read it).

I also see both Dave, MM and I are keeping a backup device with us in case of "aw shite" happening on the trip ......   and I freely admit I have had to use mine several times when my main device got all mentally confused by zero cell towers up in the mountains.

« Last Edit: 12/07/17 at 00:00:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #14 - 12/07/17 at 05:53:15

Try the free android app navmii usa. You can download maps state by state and use with no wifi or cell connection. All you need is gps on your device. I use it visually, and don't know if will work verbally, I don't like someone TELLING ME WHERE TO GO while I'm riding! Hey, it's free, what can you lose?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 14:54:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › GPS on the Cheap -- NOT !!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.