Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What were they thinking? (Read 312 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What were they thinking?
Reply #15 - 12/01/17 at 05:00:18

oldNslow wrote on 11/30/17 at 17:14:42:

The awful soundtrack in that Honda video is bad enough to keep me from buying one! Angry

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 12/03/17 at 09:15:01

MMRanch wrote on 11/30/17 at 18:48:52:
Hay ! ... Look what I found !!

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cm185t-twinstar-1979-z-usa_model7279/info/
0 to 60 mph in only 12 seconds .... I think the old Honda CL175 was a little quicker ?

It was a Fun machine

And you're dead on. The CL175 was a poor "dirt bike", but a real hellion for mixed riding conditions, from freeways to logging roads. Oh, BTW, the spec sheet I found for the CM185 said top speed was 57.5mph. It's the ".5" that sells it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 12/07/17 at 12:05:03

The specs I read said top speed 75, and hp not 10 but 17. single carb aside( it made the bike easier to tune and cut cost) ,it's a twin with 185cc ,I'm thinking that 17 hp is more likely than 10. With a shorter stroke ,and higher red line,I think 75 mph might be true.(even the cb 200 made 20 hp)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 12/07/17 at 14:36:17

Sometimes I think I'd like to have something like a old 250 street legal dirt bike , but then I don't need the up-keep hassle.    I've had the idea of finding a DR200 for some time now but ain't done it yet ... it might be about 17HP ?  
Kind of think , instead of getting a Coleman 200 scooter I should have just got the DR then ... might just get one anyway when the January credit card bills come due and all those used bikes get posted on Ebay !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #19 - 12/09/17 at 20:29:35

MMRanch wrote on 12/07/17 at 14:36:17:
... might just get one anyway when the January credit card bills come due and all those used bikes get posted on Ebay !  Grin

Now here's a bloke with his finger on the pulse!  Grin Grin Grin

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 12/09/17 at 23:15:18

Well , Thank You Very Much IslandRoad , I do try to think ahead as far as possible !  Cool   I suspect you must do the same .   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #21 - 12/13/17 at 00:12:33

MMRanch wrote on 12/09/17 at 23:15:18:
Well , Thank You Very Much IslandRoad , I do try to think ahead as far as possible !  Cool   I suspect you must do the same .   Wink

Sometimes to a fault!  Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 12/13/17 at 09:10:25

IslandRoad

Did ya put a dual purpose tire on the Savage or do ya got a second bike ?

HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 12/15/17 at 16:33:15

batman wrote on 12/07/17 at 12:05:03:
The specs I read said top speed 75, and hp not 10 but 17. single carb aside( it made the bike easier to tune and cut cost) ,it's a twin with 185cc ,I'm thinking that 17 hp is more likely than 10. With a shorter stroke ,and higher red line,I think 75 mph might be true.(even the cb 200 made 20 hp)

Here's the reference:
https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cm_185_t_1979.php
The 250cc Rebel is closer to what you quote.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 12/15/17 at 18:25:41

Happydan , You may be correct ,but you can look at the same place (bikez) and find that the1981CM-200T is rated at 17 hp   only 19 cc's larger (buy making the stroke longer-.10 inches) they made a 7 hp increase, and these are the kind of numbers that I had expected to find in the 185T ,guess it took Honda a while to wake up. the 185 is rated @7500 ,the 200 @ 9000rpm ,so I think the 185 may have had a bit more hp than what it was rated for.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #25 - 12/17/17 at 22:59:08

MMRanch wrote on 12/13/17 at 09:10:25:
IslandRoad

Did ya put a dual purpose tire on the Savage or do ya got a second bike ?

I wonder if that question was meant for someone else?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 12/18/17 at 13:14:43

So that's a no?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 12/18/17 at 21:11:17

There are so many bike of so many kind , I've had dirt bikes and I think the most favorite was a  Honda XL 200 - but it wasn't street legal so I got rid of it.  Those semi knobby tires drift sideways on pavement so easy its fun and predictable .    
IslandRoad , I thought you might be a man of two or more bikes .   So , I was kinda asking about your other bikes.

Sorry for any confusion ...

IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #28 - 12/18/17 at 23:05:05

MMRanch wrote on 12/18/17 at 21:11:17:
There are so many bike of so many kind , I've had dirt bikes and I think the most favorite was a  Honda XL 200 - but it wasn't street legal so I got rid of it.  Those semi knobby tires drift sideways on pavement so easy its fun and predictable .    
IslandRoad , I thought you might be a man of two or more bikes .   So , I was kinda asking about your other bikes.

Sorry for any confusion ...

Ah! Now, I see  Grin

I would love to be a "man of two or more bikes" ... alas, starting late, and the restriction of circumstances, dictate that my journey is going deeper rather than wider, at the the moment.

In the last year I have really developed a love of riding, and also a deep appreciation for the heritage of all the classic styles that people on here emulate in their builds (cafe racers, bobbers, trackers, choppers etc).

For now I'm making the most of my one little bike, and it's own special character.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 12/20/17 at 11:23:34

For now I'm making the most of my one little bike, and it's own special character.    

IslandRoad , you hit the nail on the head with that one ,  These LS-650's  got as much or more Character than any other bike I've ever had  !   I've got three bikes and the LS is still the first choice for 90% of my ridding.  Wink

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 11:10:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › What were they thinking?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.