Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Net Neutrality Is A Big Deal!! (Read 209 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Net Neutrality Is A Big Deal!!
Reply #30 - 11/30/17 at 06:54:21

let's come up with a list of current programs run by Uncle Sam that are similar to what's being proposed and determine if they've been effective.
Rent control in New York city for example; has it worked, did it accomplish it's goals. I have no idea, don't live there. What are some others? Who's had personal experience?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 11/30/17 at 07:59:16

My concern isn't purely consumer price issues although I have seen formats examined where I live that look like pay-for-content under the guise of pay for speed.

Comcast where I live originally wanted to charge $1.99 monthly for Youtube, same for Netflix and the logic is a competitor could come in and provide a lower price.  They of course would have to spend years building their own infrastructure first.  Alphabet and Netflix both argued against this method as its damaging to consumers and providers.

I don't think the current NN is perfect, but I don't agree with complete repeal since it gives internet access completely in the hands of corporations.  It sets consumers up for a damage first - fix later system where the FTC comes in later.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 11/30/17 at 08:57:55

valid points.

I'm thinking about the FTC and the way radio stations are regulated. I don't know all the details how that works, but they 'own' frequencies and license entities to use a certain frequency.

Is there some commonality there with the internet?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #33 - 11/30/17 at 09:44:22

WebsterMark wrote on 11/30/17 at 08:57:55:
valid points.

I'm thinking about the FTC and the way radio stations are regulated. I don't know all the details how that works, but they 'own' frequencies and license entities to use a certain frequency.

Like floating a Fairness Doctrine you mean?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 11/30/17 at 09:53:39

You all seem to miss the point.

Just look at what we have for internet right now.  It's been this way for decades.

Now consider for a moment - if corporations think it's great, do you honestly think it'll be good for the end users???  Honestly??

No.

This is a real world scenario:
MSNBC - owned by Comcast - will have the ability to throttle small, right wing sites at their leisure.  They could do the same to foxnews.com.

Is that the internet you want?

But yeah, I'm probably wrong in thinking that multi-billion dollar corporations have our best interests in mind..... Roll Eyes

BTW, ajit pai used to work for Verizon... coincidence?  Nope.  Yeah, I know Obama hired him - Obama made mistakes and was far too corporate.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #35 - 11/30/17 at 10:35:16

But yeah, I'm probably wrong in thinking that multi-billion dollar corporations have our best interests in mind.....

Oh yeah, right, your hand up my skirt guys care, right fool  Kiss

Isn't grade school getting out soon?
You should be jamming your pockets full of candy instead of posting your nonsense on a lame motorcycle message board, yes punkin?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 11/30/17 at 11:34:36

raydawg wrote on 11/30/17 at 10:35:16:
But yeah, I'm probably wrong in thinking that multi-billion dollar corporations have our best interests in mind.....

You should be jamming your pockets full of candy instead of posting your nonsense on a lame motorcycle message board, yes punkin?

Stupid response ray.  Just tell us you want corporations running the country and leave it at that.

You're as dumb as a bag of hammers....

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #37 - 11/30/17 at 13:19:31

T And T Garage wrote on 11/30/17 at 11:34:36:
raydawg wrote on 11/30/17 at 10:35:16:

Stupid response ray.  Just tell us you want corporations running the country and leave it at that.

You're as dumb as a bag of hammers....

Yeah, drive a nail with your wit  Kiss

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 11/30/17 at 13:35:05

It's not without some trepidation, but the general principle, IF allowed to work without corporate wrangling to create legislative advantages over upstart competition, it should be good for everyone.
Right now speed is being throttled.
Our so called high speed internet that we pay good money for slows to a crawl regularly. I don't have any real options, because of where we live. My support for ending NN really leaves me in a precarious position. I'm only willing to go out on this limb in hopes of things being done right. Hard to hope for what I haven't seen much of, but I'm willing to see what happens. If it's gonna screw anyone, it's gonna screw me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 11/30/17 at 13:36:26

The fear of corporations running America is a few decades late.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 11/30/17 at 14:19:59

WebsterMark wrote on 11/30/17 at 08:57:55:
valid points.

I think you are referencing the FCC.  I was referencing the Federal Trade Commission.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 11/30/17 at 14:38:47

Correct, my bad; FCC. The grant license and the 'power' (reach) of each station is dependent upon the equipment they are able to install, correct?

Where is that different from ISP's and their ability to deliver a larger volume of data at higher speeds because they have the money to install the equipment?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 12/12/17 at 11:57:15

Not much time left people:

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 01:52:18

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Net Neutrality Is A Big Deal!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.