Riser modification (Read 101 times)
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Riser modification
11/18/17 at 07:59:51

Any of you forum members ever modified the pull back risers on your beast.  My 2007 has the 6.5 inch risers which are proving to be a bit high for an old shoulder separation injury.  I am thinking the same design 2" shorter would be a good place to start trying to find that sweet spot.  I've checked eBay and Amazon...what is offered in 4-4.5" pull back risers do not have the appearance I was hoping to have.  If I find modifying what I currently have is not high potential...I'll need to compromise on the appearance thing.  And you all know how importance individual appearance is on these bikes. Thanks in advance for any tips, thoughts, experience.  

* NMSavage

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Riser modification
Reply #1 - 11/18/17 at 10:40:25

Have you looked at Harley parts ? sometimes form has to follow function,as to individual appearance, I always wear a suit & tie when I ride. Roll Eyes

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 11/18/17 at 10:54:38

Yeah , sure you do !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/18/17 at 12:13:59

I wouldn't want to mess with the only thing holding my controls to the bike.     I got my bike used and it had 4" HD aftermarket risers on it.  There must be hundreds of them out there to choose from.  I'm sure you'll find something out there.

IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #4 - 11/18/17 at 12:16:18

Yes...been looking at Harley parts...no luck as of yet.  I mounted a mini tach and mini speedo...Harley risers do not look to have the same bolt hole dimensions as my cluster mounting bracket.  I could make a new bracket that is true.  Yeah I know...I'm being fussy...you know...like wearing a suit and tie when riding  Wink  And yes there are aftermarket risers that are the length and offset I am seeking...but IMHO they look out of place on this one lung monster!!  

Suit and tie huh?  Going for that WWI aviator look?? Sweet!

* NMSavage

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #5 - 11/18/17 at 12:19:34

Ohiomoto...I have the same thoughts.  Risers are super critical to fit and function flawlessly.  Don't need to be borrow ditch fodder.  

* NMSavage

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #6 - 11/18/17 at 13:56:34

I took the risers out altogether and just got 2 new bolts of the right length for the clamps.
I used bars with a little bit of rise so the hand position is somewhat lower than with the risers and the flat stock bar.
The new bars are also a bit wider than stock, which feels better to me also.

I got these bars,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055DNV1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie...

The chrome was good for cheap bars. It was a little difficult to measure and drill the holes for the switches and you need to check carefully where they go and what angle to have them at. There is not a millimeter to spare on the length where the grips, throttle and brackets go but it does fit.

IMG_0763.JPG
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 11/18/17 at 14:00:00

I had Versy make me a set of plain 3" risers for my bike. They look like they came from Suzuki.

The bars are 2" lower and about an inch further forward, they work very well for me. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #8 - 11/18/17 at 17:09:44

Hey antmanbee...that's a sweet setup!!  Something to ponder for sure. Drilling chrome bars musta been a real treat.  It came out very nice...looks great!

norm92de...I never even thought of asking for some custom made risers.  Versy's machine work is super impressive.  

* NMSavage

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 11/18/17 at 17:20:24

you don't need to drill the bars for the controls, just file off that little pin and they'll clamp on there tight.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 11/19/17 at 07:36:47

Versy,
That's what I did. Filing off the spigots inside the switches only takes a few minutes and gave me complete flexibility on control position, mirrors etc.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #11 - 11/23/17 at 13:03:47

Took the risers to a machine shop, but the guy wanted $100 to remove the studs, cut them off and redrill and tap the holes.  I took them home and used my metal chop saw, drill press, metric tap and now they are done and remounted.  The look and feel are what I was hoping to achieve.  

Thanks for the input...Happy Thanksgiving!!

* NMSavage

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 11/23/17 at 15:52:43

If your look for risers from H-D you have to buy the kind that aren't stock but two separate pieces ,as the distance between the mounting holes in the top tree is much narrower on H-D's.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:27:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riser modification

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.