Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I think my bike was hit while parked (Read 126 times)
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
I think my bike was hit while parked
11/13/17 at 05:23:16

Hey all,

I commute on my 2013 every day to work.  I noticed that when I went to pull the cover off this morning, it was oddly stuck under the rear tire a bit which I thought was strange.  When I started riding it, I noticed that the handlebars were definitely off-center thought the bike tracked straight.  I still rode it in to work since I'm only a few miles away and it performed fine.  I'm thinking since it's parked in a parking space at my condo between my car and a neighbors, that someone pulled in to the spot enough to hit the front wheel.  I don't know what else I can do but to ride it to the shop to have them take a look.  Any idea if the forks could have gotten damaged or bent?  Nothing is really evident just looking at it.  Worried this will be expensive but not enough to call insurance about.

What a crap way to start a Monday  Sad

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: I think my bike was hit while parked
Reply #1 - 11/13/17 at 05:39:04

More than likely the forks are just a bit "tweaked".....this can happen pretty easily.  When I rode a dirt bike it could happen in a fall.

The cure is to loosen the pinch bolts on the lower triple tree - then stand in front of the bike with the tire held firmly between your knees.....then grab the handlebars and twitch them in the direction you need them to move.  It might take a time or two to get it straight.  Then tighten things up and be on your way!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 11/13/17 at 08:18:23

It may pay to park your bike so that it sticks out as far as the car next to you and add some  reflective tape to your cover,so someone would see your spot is occupied .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 11/13/17 at 10:30:46

I live in a Condo with just one covered space.  My solution is to park my bike at the front of the space sideways next to the sidewalk.  I then back my car in front of it, off to one side.  My neighbor has been nice enough to park to the side of her stall, leaving me a path to get my bike in and out.

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #4 - 11/13/17 at 12:46:27

batman wrote on 11/13/17 at 08:18:23:
It may pay to park your bike so that it sticks out as far as the car next to you and add some  reflective tape to your cover,so someone would see your spot is occupied .

Yeah I've been parking it closer to the sidewalk thinking that was safer,  but parking it out further may have made it more noticeable.    It's funny I just ordered some reflective tape to put on the cover since I'm pretty sure this must have happened in the evening.  Even with the front door lights only feet away, it still can be hard to see the cover until you're on it.  I've been parking it in the same spot for 3 years with never any trouble.

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #5 - 11/13/17 at 12:48:58

SALB wrote on 11/13/17 at 10:30:46:
I live in a Condo with just one covered space.  My solution is to park my bike at the front of the space sideways next to the sidewalk.  I then back my car in front of it, off to one side.  My neighbor has been nice enough to park to the side of her stall, leaving me a path to get my bike in and out.

I've thought about doing this, but my wife and I share the car and she drives it most of the time.  If I entrusted her to park the car in front of the bike, it would have been knocked over and run over at least a hundred times already.  I was doing really good up until this point.  I'm just glad that the forks were the only thing that seem to have been impacted by this, though I'm going to have to take it to the shop.  

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #6 - 11/13/17 at 12:50:30

Dave wrote on 11/13/17 at 05:39:04:
More than likely the forks are just a bit "tweaked".....this can happen pretty easily.  When I rode a dirt bike it could happen in a fall.

The cure is to loosen the pinch bolts on the lower triple tree - then stand in front of the bike with the tire held firmly between your knees.....then grab the handlebars and twitch them in the direction you need them to move.  It might take a time or two to get it straight.  Then tighten things up and be on your way!

Thanks, I wish I was a little more mechanically inclined and had the tools.  My shops been real good to me so I'll probably just ride it in to have them inspect it to make sure nothing else happened to it.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #7 - 11/13/17 at 13:05:36

Have the shop mechanic show you how he realigns the handlebars so you will be educated in the matter Wink

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #8 - 11/13/17 at 13:16:10

Papa Bear wrote on 11/13/17 at 13:05:36:
Have the shop mechanic show you how he realigns the handlebars so you will be educated in the matter Wink

Good advice! I'll definitely talk with them about it.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/13/17 at 13:47:12

Seriously.....it is Easy-Peasy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZqLO4bj1s

You don't need to worry about the top triple clamp or axle...just loosen the bottom triple clamp to make it easier.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #10 - 11/14/17 at 03:25:45

I had a similar issue when I bought the bike second hand. It wasn't until I got home I realised the handlebars weren't straight. In the end I swapped the risers, left to right, and held pressure on the bar as I tightened each little by little. The bike has rubber everywhere! ... room for play Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/14/17 at 08:32:27

Dave wrote on 11/13/17 at 13:47:12:
Seriously.....it is Easy-Peasy!

-------------------------

Yep, so easy a caveman could do it. Smiley

Just find someone who has raced or ridden dirt bikes.  They'll know what to do.  

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #12 - 11/14/17 at 18:20:31

IslandRoad wrote on 11/14/17 at 03:25:45:
I had a similar issue when I bought the bike second hand. It wasn't until I got home I realised the handlebars weren't straight. In the end I swapped the risers, left to right, and held pressure on the bar as I tightened each little by little. The bike has rubber everywhere! ... room for play Smiley

Thanks guys, the video was great.  I'll give that a shot.  I was worried something may have gotten damaged but now I'm relieved that this should be an easy fix.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:33:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I think my bike was hit while parked

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.