Solo seat install (Read 57 times)
Rotorhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pearl City, HI
Solo seat install
11/11/17 at 22:58:11

I bought my 06 S40 with a solo seat installed in a rather haphazard fashion (I was lucky to get home with the seat still attached). I've been working on it for a few weeks, and this weekend I got it mounted using 3" seat springs mounted to the aft-most frame horns usig a cross-bracket I made, and the front part of the seat is mounted using a standard hinge-type seat bracket mounted using the tank bolts.

Immediately I could tell the seat was too low in the front. I fabbed a 3/8" aluminum spacer and bolted it up; it was satisfactory.

However...I don't like using the fuel tank bolts. Looks to me like sooner or later the stress from the seat motion will shear them, and that would be bad. I tried moving the mount point for the front of the seat aft (I have a steel sheet covering the frame from the tank back up to the frame horns) but that moves the springs too far back (there's no more frame horn space to move the aft bracket).

While waiting for my seat springs to ship, I also fabbed up an eps-and epoxy/fiberglass "seat spacer" that essentially solid-mounts the seat properly up and back...but it looks like a seat on top of a seat, technically known as a "turd sandwich". VERY comfortable though-raises the seat up about 3 inches and aft about the same.

I'm thinking of tossing the springer solo seat and fabbing up an entirely new solo seat out of eps/epoxy/fiberglass (i've got lots of experience with the stuff) but wanted to know the solutions you all have found here. I see Ryca makes a mount that requires frame cutting; I'd like to avoid that (and I'm not paying $700 for their kit). Any suggestions?

Aloha
RH

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Solo seat install
Reply #1 - 11/12/17 at 03:57:56

If you go with a different seat, you can use 8mm mounting bolts on the 2 horns by tapping the 2 holes from the top. The threads from the bottom don't go all the way up. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:38:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Solo seat install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.