Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Things on a bucket list (Read 711 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Things on a bucket list
Reply #75 - 11/11/18 at 04:48:31

I Really want to get my hands on an airplane that will survive a good wringing out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #76 - 11/11/18 at 20:32:46

Made it home about 10pm local time. Dave should be getting home somewhere around 12am - 1am. Ride summary to follow maybe tomorrow.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #77 - 11/12/18 at 05:01:41

We left the Two Wheel Inn right at 6PM.....my GPS was frustrating me as it said I was not going to be home until 1:10AM?  It had always been a 6 hour drive before.......why was it going to take 7 hours?  I found out the darn thing had not yet made the adjustment to Daylight Savings Time.  I change the setting in the Garmin....and it then showed an accurate arrival time.  It would have been nice to have left earlier - but the weather on Sunday was the best of the whole weekend and there was riding that "needed" to be done.  We didn't get on the road until 11 AM on most days as we felt 23 degrees was just too cold to ride - so the short 7 hour riding days meant our trips were only about half as many miles as we ride in the long summer days.

Most of our riding was done in the 30 - 40 degree range, with some short afternoon temps a bit above 40.  A base layer, ski pants, sweat shirts and a good windproof jacket proved to keep us from getting really cold - hands were a different story and when the temps were in the low 30's and we were riding at 50mph speeds cold hands were a problem.  I have somewhat poor circulation in my hands from the time I ran air hammers/grinders in the steel mill and I do have trouble keeping them warm - Stew and Bailey didn't have a good set of winter gloves (they live in the south) - my winter gloves are a $15 pair from Tractor Supply and they worked pretty well.  Riding with the winter gloves made clutch/brake/throttle use cumbersome - the thick padding made your fingers a bit stiff and it was hard to feel the levers through the padding.  Heated grips or heated gloves may be the ticket to resolving that issue.  I bought a Milwaukee battery heated vest - it worked well and at the low setting it would help to keep me warm for 6 hours.  The battery that comes with it is a 1.5 A/H, I am going to buy a couple of the 3 A/H Chinese batteries and I should be able to use the medium or high settings - and the vest is 12V so I am going to try a direct connection to the power outlet on my bike. (The only concern I have at the moment is that the charging system on the bike is between 13.8 - 14.0 volts when the bike is running.....I need to do a voltage check on the Milwaukee Li-Ion battery and see what the charged voltage is).

The riding was good.  Traffic was light, 3 out of 4 cars would pull over and let us pass - we only had about 3 folks who just refused to pull over and made us pass them on the curvy/double yellow line roads.  We rode at an enjoyable calm pace as the roads were cold and often covered with leaves - we never had a problem with icy roads.

I will post the few pictures I took tomorrow when I am at my office - I can post pictures so much easier there as this computer and internet access is slow and cumbersome (today is the Veterans Day holiday for me and I have the day off).

I am glad we went.....I had a good time! Smiley  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #78 - 11/12/18 at 07:51:12

So...this is a visual reference to the weather we were riding in.  And this was at lower elevation. It got really chilly up on the Cherohala at 5400'. We estimate it was about 32 degrees up there.

IMG_20181111_090433.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #79 - 11/12/18 at 07:52:58

My toes got really cold on day 1 despite insulated boots and two pairs of socks. I resorted to a homemade "wind blocking layer" in between my two layers of socks.

YES, it actually seemed to work  Grin

IMG_20181111_093614.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #80 - 11/12/18 at 08:03:16

Here I am bundled up like a farmer on a motorcycle  Grin Grin Grin

stew2.PNG

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #81 - 11/12/18 at 08:37:20

a farmer on a motorcycle  

I suspect there is a "Farmers" Grin under that face shield ?

These gloves are warm when the nylon mitt is over them.  And water proof too !  Wink

1452734481218_001.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #82 - 11/12/18 at 09:59:09

MM....we missed you, sorry you couldn't come and share you cold weather riding wisdom in person.

I believe I will get some better cold weather gear - I live in a climate that requires it more than Stew.  A friend loaned me his new Tourmaster jacket, and I tried it on Sunday.  It was a huge improvement over my jacket, as the sleeves on the Touring jacket are better insulated, and they provide more room so I can wear a sweater or sweatshirt underneath - my 3 season jacket has really snug fitting sleeves and I can't wear anything with more than a long sleeve T-shirt underneath.  The Tourmaster was bulkier than my jacket and it felt far more like a coat than a jacket - but that bulk provided far more warmth and it was not restrictive in any way.

I suspect Santa will be bringing me one of these for Christmas.
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/tour-master-transition-5-jacket?kclid=18402930...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #83 - 11/13/18 at 04:18:37

OK......here are my photos of the trip:

On the way in I saw a duck swimming in Lake Fontana....then I saw the duck had big round ears!  The bear then climbed out of the lake and ran across the road and went into the woods.

On my Thursday ride I ended up riding on the Foothills Parkway with the rest of the Leaf Lookers:

Friday brought an "all day" rain, and I ended up driving the car to Helen.  I drove some nice roads, and on the way back I took Wayah Road.  The rain and leaves made the road really slippery, and it would have been treacherous on a motorcycle:

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #84 - 11/13/18 at 06:36:50

...And for anyone that frequents the area and has stayed at Two Wheel Inn, it is under new ownership as of October. Barry and Linda (POs) sold it to Eva and her retired husband (never got his name) from FL. They are bikers and were guests of TWI for years so they know the area and motorcycle culture and are very kind and supportive of us.  Let us keep our room until Sunday night at no extra charge so we could change up after our ride before going home. It's not the Ritz Carlton nor should you expect it to be, but it is a nice, clean place with everything you need for a weekend in the mountains.

If you're in the area and looking for a dedicated motorcycle hotel (or just a hotel) that will treat you nice Eva at TWI will take care of you.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #85 - 11/13/18 at 07:54:16

Last night I was doing laundry and putting things away, and my wife put one of my gloves on.....and then commented that they felt wet inside.  I put one on, and she was right!  I used those gloves on Saturday and Sunday, and evidently my hands sweated a bit and the gloves don't vent the moisture out....that may be a good reason that I had trouble keeping my hands warm at times.

The gloves are too stiff to turn inside out - I put them on my boot drier this morning!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #86 - 11/13/18 at 13:18:14

Mine is not warm without some good insulation under it .

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-tornado-rain-jacket

While we were walking around Helen Friday there was a couple of adventure bikes came by.   I later saw them in a coffee shop and ask about their gear.   It was like canvas with water-proofing.   The brand was "CLIM" and it looked warm and tuff.    Also looked expensive .    They were a couple from South Dakota.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #87 - 11/13/18 at 13:59:47

MMRanch wrote on 11/13/18 at 13:18:14:
Mine is not warm without some good insulation under it .

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-tornado-rain-jacket

While we were walking around Helen Friday there was a couple of adventure bikes came by.   I later saw them in a coffee shop and ask about their gear.   It was like canvas with water-proofing.   The brand was "CLIM" and it looked warm and tuff.    Also looked expensive .    They were a couple from South Dakota.  

It was "Klim", and it can be very/very/very expensive!

The basic Adv/Touring models are around $400....and go up over $1,000 for a jacket.  Too pricey for me - but that cost likely is a result of high grade materials used to make them.  The fabric is tough, fade resistant, and they use GoreTex.  They do not have removable liners and they are not as bulky as a result........if you are going to spend a lot of time riding in cool/cold weather and bad elements - they may be worth the money.  I am going to try the cheaper route first and get the Tourmaster first - and see how fond I become of riding in the cold and wet! Huh

https://www.klim.com/motorcycle/mens/jacket

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #88 - 11/13/18 at 21:17:44

Dave , I believe this is the one he was wearing :

https://www.klim.com/Traverse-Jacket-4050-001?quantity=1

Only $400.oo + for this cheep one , but it didn't look cheep either.

Thanks for the spelling help .  Smiley

There was a couple of them that were $1700.00 for the jacket.

I'll be shopping at Cycle Gear too. Wink

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #89 - 11/15/18 at 09:46:35

I rode in to work today, roughy 32 miles one way. It was 37F when I left and 40F when I got here. My gear looked pretty much like Stew's. I had insulated polyester riding pants, insulated work type leather boots, leather motorcycle jacket, t shirt, 2 sweaters and a vest, and all leather gloves. I actually felt fine until I picked up some speed and just could not understand why I was feeling as much cold as I was. It didn't take me too long to realize that I had all 4 vents on my leather jacket open. I didn't stop to close them as I was already on the HOV when I figured it out. But that tell me I could ride in still colder weather if I just zip up those vents. Do need better gloves though, they were ok for 60 minutes but I was definitely starting to feel the cold. I will say that my bike does not like the cold weather. Even after about 8 miles it would not idle. By the time I got to the office it did idle fine.

One other weird thing. I don't have a windshield on the bike and the coldest part of my body was my crotch. It appears all the wind is directed there. Shocked

Funny, I did not see any other bikes on the road today!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 20:47:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Things on a bucket list

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.