Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Things on a bucket list (Read 711 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Things on a bucket list
Reply #60 - 11/03/18 at 17:48:54

I believe I need to get a modern "base layer" of good long johns.

We ate dinner with friends tonight, and he loaned me his Tourmaster Jacket and Biltwell guantlet gloves to try.....they feel like they will help a huge amount.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #61 - 11/03/18 at 21:28:37

Two years ago  I got a set of "FREEZE-OUT" base layer from Cycle Gear mail order .    
I've been out in 20 deg Super-Slab ridding with jeans and chaps over the Freeze-Out bottoms and a good jacket over the top with those mitten big cuff gloves , o-yea Full face helmet with Barclay.    It wasn't even cold any more !  Smiley

I think they were about $30.00 each for top , then bottom … but worth every penny. Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #62 - 11/03/18 at 21:37:30

Me and Bailey are bringing our insulated work coveralls. We might look like lumberjacks but we’ll be warm  Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 11/05/18 at 04:00:05

The weather forecast is just a bit less joyful......seems a cold front is moving into the area Thursday night.  Highs are going to be a few degrees cooler than forecast last week.  With any luck things will improve.

I have decided to drive down early on Thursday and arrive around noon, and go riding to enjoy the only day that is up in the 60's.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #64 - 11/06/18 at 15:42:54

The forecast keeps getting worse - a cold front moves into the area Thursday night.  Friday looks a bit miserable....Saturday is cold!  The cold may be bearable - but not if wet is mixed in!

I am willing to still give it a try - if it proves to just be miserable riding for an afternoon we could go to Maggie Valley in my car and visit the Wheels of Time.  If it gets too miserable to stay....we can pack up and leave!

Weather.PNG

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #65 - 11/06/18 at 20:02:37

Maybe it will hold out for us. You have the long haul, but I’m in for getting there Friday eve after work as planned and wing it, museum, etc. might as well take advantage of the “free” weekend as it will probably be the last one for me for a few months.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 11/07/18 at 09:32:42

Sure wish I was there right now......63 degrees and an expected high of 68!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #67 - 11/08/18 at 13:36:41

Looking better (in terms of wet stuff) but still chilly willy!!!!!

rnc.PNG

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #68 - 11/08/18 at 17:28:52

I'm in Helen now , in the car with Marcia and an Aunt.

About 45 deg.  and misty rain.

Sorry , Aunt just talks , and talks  , makes it hard to think strait some times .

« Last Edit: 11/10/18 at 11:01:25 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #69 - 11/08/18 at 18:01:50

Hi Helen, be careful... ants bite.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #70 - 11/09/18 at 06:23:04

Today (Friday) is a rain out.....it is supposed to rain all day.  I am hiding in the Huddle House at the moment and using their Wi-Fi.  I will spend the rest of the day shopping/sightseeing/driving around and exploring.  I have rain gear.....if I get really bored I may find a place to go hiking.

Yesterday I had a good ride.  I got up at 3:30 AM and was packed and left by 4.  On the way past Fontana Lake I saw a duck swimming, then a bit later I saw another duck - but as I got closer I noticed the duck had big goofy round ears!  It turns out it was a Black Bear swimming across the lake.  I stopped and got a photo, and then as another car arrived the bear came out of the water and ran across the road.  I arrived at Deals Gap around 11:00, unloaded the bike, put on some gear, and went for a 56 degree/dry ride.  I got about half way up the Dragon and realized I needed more clothes.  I went back and added a base layer, and put on my rain gear to make me more windproof.  I rode the Dragon and saw a Sheriff had pulled over a rider on a BMW K100 with saddlebags - I can't imagine he was exceeding the speed limit by a whole bunch, as the pavement had some leaves on it and he appeared to be in his 60's.  I then rode the Foothills Parkway and expected to be able to ride the new section - but it was closed.  I rode into Townsend and got lunch and a warmer pair of gloves at Dollar Store.  I then rode to Caves Cove and continued through the park - the "Leaf Lookers" were out in force and traffic was painfully slow.  I rode 441 up to New Found Gap, and that was the last of my "dry" riding. The clouds were right down on the mountain and the road was soaked.  When I got to the other side and on to Cherokee there was a misting rain all the way back - I arrived back at Deals Gap at 6 PM, and I rode about 170 miles.  I was chilly - but never really got cold.

The next few days will be drier, and colder.  It will be time to break out all the cold weather gear and see it it works!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #71 - 11/09/18 at 06:50:57

We're loaded up (bikes on the trailer this time since we're bringing two) and ready to head out after work today.  My usual ETA for this trip is ~10pm, but we have to drop off my brother's truck and such and may stop for a bite on the way, so we may be more in the 11pm range.

I got my new 0.75kg/mm Ninja fork springs installed and they feel MUCH better just sitting on it and wallering front and back.  I haven't ridden it at all yet so I am looking forward to feeling it on the road, and here's hoping that I didn't leave an important bolt out somewhere.  Shocked

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #72 - 11/09/18 at 08:14:02

Went to the range this morning, 40 miles the back way. Came home a longer way, 65 miles. 83F in the carport when I got home. Glad I skipped your trip this time.
Stay WARM & DRY.

Badwolf

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #73 - 11/09/18 at 10:34:49

I drove the car to Helen, GA to buy cornmeal for Grits and cornbread.

Along the way I found out what Mother Nature’s real name is:
Stormy Firkenwether!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #74 - 11/11/18 at 03:35:03

Stew and his brother Bailey arrived late on Friday, the roads were still wet and the misty rain was just about over.  We left his bikes on the truck and went to bed.  When we woke the next morning the roads were dry, the sun was out, the tops of the mountains were white with a heavy frost, adn it was cold!  After our trip to the Huddle House and to the Ace Hardware to get the little handwarmer and toewarmer packs, we geared up and went in search of the Dragon.  It was a bit cold - but with our clothing it was not brutal.....it was probably in the high 30's.  At Deals Gap there were a few sports cars, and maybe 15 or so bikers wandering in/out while we where there.  We road the Dragon and it was a good ride - as we headed out past Fontana Lake we saw about 20 Camaros in a line headed to the Dragon - it was the perfect time to be leaving the area!  We continued to ride toward Tellico Plains, and finished up with the Cherohala Skyway.  The Skyway was cold - both because of the higher speeds and the elevation - I believe the top and backside got down close to 30 degrees, as the frost and ice on the trees was not melting.  We had to stop a few times to get our hands warmed up, we installed the hand warmer packs in our gloves - but the couldn't keep up while riding.  When we stopped it was possible to get our hands warm - but 10 miles later we would have to stop again and get our hands warm.  It was a nice day, we did get a bit chilly - but it was worth it and was an enjoyable day of riding.  We saw other bikes on the road until we got to the Skyway......we were the only bikers silly enough to make that ride at the end of the day - we did get home before dark (but only by a few minutes).

I am not sure where we are going today.  At 6 AM it is 23 degrees, and it is supposed to be 40 by around 10 AM and 50 by noon.  As the day warms up there will likely be a lot of Leaf Lookers - so we should stay away from the Blue Ridge Parkway and State Park roads.  Maybe a ride down 28 into Georgia?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 14:00:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Things on a bucket list

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.