Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Things on a bucket list (Read 711 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Things on a bucket list
Reply #45 - 10/24/18 at 21:43:15

Some times we get a day or two in the fall where the low is high 40's and uppers 60's for the day time.  

I'm sure Marcia would tell me "Have Fun and I'll see ya in a couple days" .    But , we're having low 30's at night now.  

On a "Dragon Run" , we know there is a nice campground waiting for $12,oo ish / night .     Has anybody been to the Hillbilly Triangle camping area ?    

Guys , when we get a 3 day nice weather strip I'll see if Marcia want to "just take off" for a few days.   That would mean Truck w/Bike in the back , and probely a Motel.    So , we got the "Fall Color" thing upon us now .    I'd love to go for another ride in the next couple weeks but haven't even looked for a motel yet , I'll try to get that done in the next day or two.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #46 - 10/24/18 at 22:07:26

well ,

Motels are plentiful in the area :     https://bookings.mapquest.com/hotels/results/?check_in=10%2F28%2F2018&check_out=
10%2F30%2F2018&refid=5101&latitude=37.430147&longitude=-83.997733&poi_name=McKee
%20KY&radius=5&sort_order=most_popular&refclickid=do_top_check_avail50

Now to find those warm sunny days !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 10/25/18 at 03:38:26

MM:

I spoke with Deb about making 1 more trip this year, and suggested that if the weather doesn't allow a trip to the Kick Stand Lodge - that I was going to find a day to go ride the Hillbilly Triangle.  It will take about 3 hours for me to get to the north end at Irvine, KY, then another 3 hours to ride it, then another 3 hours to get home....it would be a very long day (especially since an early morning departure could have temperatures in the high 30's or low 40's).  She suggested I get a hotel and just make a 2 day event out of it. The roads in this area do provide very good riding and lots of rural, curvy, hilly scenery.

This week is not possible - the weather just isn't going to cooperate.

The next 2 weeks have some potential if the rain/drizzle chances go away for 1 or 2 days.  Maybe it would be realistic to leave home early in the morning and trailer the bike to the area while the weather is just too cold to ride - then unload the bike and ride the Hillbilly Triangle in the warmer afternoon hours.....then load the bike back up on the trailer and head home when the cold/dark evening hours return. (It could be made a 2 day event if we got a hotel room to stay overnight and ride again the next day).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #48 - 10/25/18 at 07:13:03

Y'all keep me posted.  I am pretty sure I can make a KSL trip work by doing my usual leaving Friday after work and riding Sat Sun, coming home late Sun night. I looked at the drive to HT and for just a Sat and Sun ride I am not sure if I can get that far north ...but somehow Dave makes those long drives with such apparent ease.

Anyhow, if the weather permits a 'KSL' trip and it just makes sense to make this an easy and warm trip I am up for getting a little hotel room.  Maybe the Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville (just over the mountain from KSL) is an option. I have stayed there and it's pretty nice and not terribly pricey.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 10/25/18 at 08:19:14

The location of the Hillbilly Triangle was a bit surprising to me - I thought it was half way between MM and I....however MM would have a trip of more than 5 hours compared to my 3 hours.  (Even if I find a spot farther south it doesn't cut much travel time off his trip).  Maybe for a summer 2019 trip we could find a spot farther south in KY, and make the ride to the triangle part of the adventure in the day rides.

The weather in the Kick Stand Lodge area looks like it could work if the rain chances go away.......they look even more promising in 2 weeks (Nov 8 - 10).  The mornings are likely going to be a bit chilly, I will have a car and we could take the car into Robbinsville for breakfast and wait for the sun to warm things up a bit.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #50 - 10/25/18 at 10:40:48

You guys posting the weather up there makes me glad I'm in Fla. , rode 380 miles on a extended lunch and range run yesterday. But all FLAT and no fun curves to speak of.
Planning to ride up to Charlotte,NC. next weekend to meet up with little brother at some dirt track races. That will be the last of my northern rides for the year.
Coming east from Salt Lake City (and the Salt Flats) in August it was low 50's and blusterly in Wyoming overnite, don't want to do that or worse again if I can avoid it.
I'm just over 20k for the year, so far. Worst road of the year was south on the Dragon at 7AM in the rain! That road is fun on a nice afternoon, BUT, in the rain it is SCARY! Would be worse in rain at night.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #51 - 10/25/18 at 19:43:57

Our church had a Gospel Sing tonight.....my wife went early to work the ticket counter - so I rode the motorcycle.  I left at 6 PM and it was 58 degrees, and on the way home at 10:30 it was 48 degrees.

Unfortunately.....this is the kind of local riding I am going to have to sneak in this late in the year - there likely will still be some 60 degree afternoons now and then.  As soon as the salt hits the roads.....the motorcycles get put away until the spring rains wash all the salt off the roads.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #52 - 10/25/18 at 20:47:30

We enjoyed a "Fall Color Cruise " on the way to town today .     It seems like all-at-once the trees went to yellows and Reds overnight !    
Those cool nights have put me out of the camping mood .      

stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #53 - 10/27/18 at 21:14:50

Me and my brother are still game for next weekend or the next next weekend and agree a hotel is best if it’s chilly. Will make for an easier quick trip not packing so much.

http://twowheelinn.com/

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #54 - 10/28/18 at 16:47:41

The 8th - 10th are looking to be about as good as we are going to see for a while.  Night time temps are scary as they are below 40 - daytime highs are 65 on Thursday, 68 on Friday, 58 on Saturday, 62 on Sunday.

I don't know if the Kick Stand Lodge will be open in November.......I kinda think the bunkhouse and shower areas might just be a bit too "cool" for a pleasant stay.  We could stay at Deals Gap - but we will likely have a lot of "down" time waiting for things to warm up in the morning and dark comes pretty quickly this time of year - so I believe it might be better to be closer to a town with restaurants and shops.

I will likely drive down on Wednesday night and ride Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun.....although the weather on Wednesday and the Monday look really good as well.  So MM..if you want to go let us know what days you want to be included in the lodging.  It appears the room are set up for 2 folks at $79.95....maybe we can squeeze in a third but it appears the motorcycle garage will only fit 1 large or 2 small bikes.  The apartments appear to be set up to sleep up to 4 and have a garage that claims to hold 2-1/2 motorcycles....the rate is $100 for 2 people and $10 for each additional and a $25 cleaning fee.  I can bring a cot and set it up in the smaller room if the Two Wheel Inn allows that.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #55 - 10/28/18 at 22:07:14

You fellers know I love to go Ridding ,

Right now is not a good time for me to take off on an adventure , it may be next spring's  trip before Normal has re-settled into my house .   My heart says go ride , but waiting till spring might be the more prudent choice .

I sure apricate being included , but I need to sit this one out.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 10/29/18 at 08:02:50

I just got an email from Bobby at the Kick Stand Lodge - they are closed for the winter and will re-open May 1st.

The grill at Deals Gap closes on Oct. 31.  The store will be open until November 11.....so we can stop in and buy fuel, drinks and get warmed up if needed.

Sorry you can't come and play for a couple days MM......we will shiver along without you! Huh

« Last Edit: 10/29/18 at 10:23:38 by Dave »  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #57 - 10/29/18 at 15:46:15

..we will shiver along without you!  

Cool

Cool ?

Take picture of the Color Cruise  Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 11/03/18 at 09:38:23

It is 45 degrees and I got bundled up and I am out riding, and I am cold!

I have too much air blowing up my pant legs, and too much air coming through the legs of the insulated Carhart bibs. I am going to put on my rain gear on the way home and see if that helps. I am not very well equipped for cold weather riding.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #59 - 11/03/18 at 10:57:14

am going to put on my rain gear on the way home and see if that helps.
Saved my butt a few times.
Getting the cuffs and legs closed is important.
I used duct tape on the gap on the front of the top.
Stopping airflow is YUGE..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 07:09:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Things on a bucket list

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.