Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Things on a bucket list (Read 711 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Things on a bucket list
Reply #15 - 11/13/17 at 17:26:18

Well , we got all winter to find places .   Dave , if we promise not to snore how many will your trailer sleep ?     Huh

Grin

I'll check "campground" in the area before spring get here.   Could be we have to stay in the next town over ...

or

Weekly rental motel ???   Rates for Sunday -Thursday are usually very good , compared to weekends .   Wink

The place we found in Texas was ideal , 4 bunks in a cabin + bath-house close by.   If we had to ride 30 miles to get a suitable bunking arrangements ... so what ???  Wink   as long as it is a Fun Ride !   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 11/13/17 at 18:54:12

where do the guzzles stay?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 11/13/17 at 19:14:42

MMRanch wrote on 11/13/17 at 17:26:18:
Dave , if we promise not to snore how many will your trailer sleep ?     Huh

There is only room for me in the trailer....and sometimes the wife.  It is really snuggly for two!

I don't have any problem riding a bit to get to the camping place - I just didn't find any websites for the kind of campground or hotel that we have available down at the Dragon.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 11/13/17 at 19:16:13

Gosh Versey !     You think of the Brainiest things sometimes !   Smiley  I should have thought of that !   Embarrassed

I'll see if I can find out , but most of them are older than we are and  $$$$ better off than I am .   They may be the Holiday Inn bunch.   But ya don't know till ya ask !  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 11/13/17 at 19:43:23

https://freecampsites.net/#!1029&query=sitedetails

As long as you are riding around the area, don't mind having a toilet and happen to like free.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 11/13/17 at 22:52:10

there's a walnut flats campground.
but there's also a correction center not that far away either.

here we go... just need a really big tent.
http://www.cmresort.com/tent-camping/

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 11/14/17 at 02:57:54

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/13/17 at 19:43:23:

https://freecampsites.net/#!1029&query=sitedetails

As long as you are riding around the area, don't mind having a toilet and happen to like free.

I am not sure the "marketing" department for your free campground completed their training! Huh

"Dismal Falls is nearby and Dismal Creek provides fishing and wading."

It does seem that the area in WV is dedicated to ATV riders.  Camping with these folks gives me a cause to question how well we might blend in - the ATV gang tends to be a bit rowdier than our group.......I don't sleep very well when other campers stay up and party until very late.  (It pays to know your limitations and weaknesses....I am a light sleeper).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 11/14/17 at 05:36:16

Same tool also spots the pay me campsites of which there are several.   The Appalachian trail goes through the area, so that accounts for several of the camping spots, the ones with no roads noted near by.   The area seems pretty empty, other than that.

Dismal Creek is the name of the nearby creek, it has a set of falls on it called Dismal Falls.  

This is the real name of the campground -- Walnut Flats Campground in Jefferson National Forest

And here is a "couple in a car" video review that shows the road styles in the area --- which are not very impressive compared to NC mountains, as well as a complete review of the campground itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weSygXe8grE

This second reviewer is a fairly well off retired "homeless" man who pops between free spots as a life style, so he is fairly thorough and impartial with his information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h3q3TwTzNA&feature=youtu.be

Note, both sets of folks mention intermittent showers popping up during the evenings, etc.

Guys, we can do better for both mountains and for scenery on a trip starting at Kickstand and roaming off to where-ever we want in Georgia, etc.

Lastly, to inform you very completely, here are two Goldwings running the DRAGON's BACK at speed.   The Cherohala is a more thrilling sweeper road and we know many more challenging roads already ....   That meandering road around the lake area near Robbinsville comes to mind as a "superior" little road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuHAeI29S04    

« Last Edit: 11/14/17 at 09:50:12 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 11/14/17 at 13:11:02

Hey, is that anywhere close to where Burt Reynolds, Jon Voight and Ned Beatty were when they wanted to go white water rafting?!? Roll Eyes

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #24 - 11/14/17 at 14:52:32

I heRe banjo music , who's gonna squeal like a pig

You got pretty lips 👄

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #25 - 11/14/17 at 15:42:48

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 11/14/17 at 16:41:48

You guys are nothing if not predictable

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 11/14/17 at 18:24:45

Guys, we can do better for both mountains and for scenery on a trip starting at Kickstand and roaming off to where-ever we want in Georgia, etc.  

I hope to be able to do both , and the North Ga. too.   So many places to go ... the summers are just not long enough !

Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 11/15/17 at 04:53:39

MMRanch wrote on 11/14/17 at 18:24:45:
I hope to be able to do both , and the North Ga. too.   So many places to go ... the summers are just not long enough !

Smiley

Yep....me too!  This summer I plan on doing quite a few overnight and/or long weekend trips - and the wife may come along on a few.  A Kickstand weekend, a Two Wheels of Suches weekend, a ride in PA for Gary_from_NJ and I to do a Cafe' bike ride, and maybe a ride to the Cumberland Falls area in KY.....and a trip to the Back of the Dragon.

The Back of the Dragon trip looks like a nice 6+ hour ride on the back roads (probably 8-9 with the wife and frequent stops)...the Mapquest route looked to have a very nice curvy road to get me to Tazewell, VA.  I could ride down in a day and find a place to stay, send a day or two riding the area...then spend a day riding back.

What would be good is if this area doesn't have the afternoon pop up rain showers in the afternoon - it might be a good place to go riding when the Blue Ridge area is in the peak of the summer pop-up showers.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #29 - 11/15/17 at 06:05:30

I've been follow this thread...and now that I've been mentioned...I might as well join the conversation.

I'd love nothing more then to join the gang on a group ride. I'd be happy to load my cafe racer - and my street tracker - into my pick-up truck and meet up. I have a pop-up tent that allows my pick-up bed to double as a camper, so I'm good with camping too.

Driving to TN is just too far. And heading south from there doesn't help. Dave and I have been talking about a ride in the PA/WV area (in the heart of the Allegheny Mountains - twisty roads with elevation changes) and I'm hoping that a few can make that. I watch the ride threads hoping to see one that I can make.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 13:51:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Things on a bucket list

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!