Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Things on a bucket list (Read 711 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Things on a bucket list
11/10/17 at 21:27:12

Guys ,

So , I was hanging out at the Guzzi site , and found something for US !

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2012/11/04/virginia-state-route-16-becomes-the-b...

Their campground is $24.oo  which is more than the Dragon is :

But

They Boast of 260 curves in 32 miles ...

So basically a 32 mile long Dragon ???    Get in good physical shape before arriving !   Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Things on a bucket list
Reply #1 - 11/10/17 at 21:48:57

You will be fine on the Savage , on the sportster well that might be a different story ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/11/17 at 07:41:17

That is almost the same distance from me as Deals Gap and the Dragon......so the real question is how good the surrounding roads are, how good are the camping grounds, how much traffic is there.....and how "friendly" are the folks running the radar?

I an up for a trip to the area next summer to check it out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 11/11/17 at 08:37:52

A worthy side trip on a "up the Blue Ridge and back down it" weeklong excursion.  

Dave, it is Virginia -- not friendly on that radar at all.    Not at all ......

What was the name of that steam Museum again ???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 11/11/17 at 18:05:26

Ruttly

I might sell the sportster in the spring , I've got the tank off of it right now repainting it.  I had MMRanch  decal on it , but to sell it I'm going with strait glossy black with the original crome thing down the center part.    It is a little heavy for flicking through the twisty.  😂 Roll Eyes

I'm using the Guzzi for my "We" bike now. 😁.  
It replaces the Sportster in ever way and does it close to 170 lbs lighter. 😀😀😀

Easy to like !

…........................…....…

OldFeller
You know I'd love to run the parkway all the way up to the high mountains in the northern states , and if we keep cost down I could do it.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 11/11/17 at 18:51:17

MM , Yeah my sporty is a handful in the tight twisties especially my favorite pass thru the hills ,it's as rough as it is twisty ,but it loves long sweeping turns. So mine will be sold eventually too. There are some exciting bikes coming to the states in the next few years so I'll keep it till I find a new girl.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/12/17 at 03:29:26

The museum is in Coolspring, PA - it is pretty far north very near I-80, about 5 hours from the north end of the Blueridge Parkway.  It is an intermal combustion museum that has some of the engines that put an end to the steam era.  The museum is open on the 3rd Saturday of every month.  I believe it is too far away to be incorporated with any event that involves riding in NC/TN/VA.
http://coolspringpowermuseum.org/

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/12/17 at 04:40:59

Dave, you are right, that's too far from the end of things .....

This new "back of the Dragon" road lacks the density of turns achieved by the Dragon (311 turns in 13 miles) or the density achieved our little Hwy 32 which follows the same pattern of many many turns over many fewer miles.

(but yes, I was always a big fan at stopping for a good long rest stop, a drink and a piss at the country store at the end of HWY 32)

Wink

« Last Edit: 11/12/17 at 09:42:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 11/12/17 at 05:01:41

MMRanch wrote on 11/11/17 at 18:05:26:
OldFeller
You know I'd love to run the parkway all the way up to the high mountains in the northern states , and if we keep cost down I could do it.

MM, when we go off on our roaming trips, we will stay for free everywhere we go -- gas and food will be our only daily out of pocket cost.    And we will stay off the Interstates as they cause "bad mileage" out the arse compared to normal roads and speeds.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 11/12/17 at 14:45:54

Yea , I've noticed ridding the mountains on our excursions I've gotten as high as 62mpg.   Normally I get 52-55 , unless I'm really trying to stretch the gallons but even then I only get high 50's.   I think its this 55mph-vs-40mph averages.  
I do love those roads where 40mph average is driving way too fast !  Grin

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 11/12/17 at 16:57:24

I believe there will be 2 or 3 trips in the summer that are not going to be the "mega" ride.  I want the gang to go to Suches, we can go to VA and try the "Back of the Dragon", and a trip to see Mo at the Kickstand Lodge would be nice.

I believe the weather at Suches is the same as the Kickstand Lodge - the Back of the Dragon is farther north and may be different......and hopefully more consistently dry!  If it doesn't have those afternoon showers.....that would be a huge benefit!  I hope we can find a campground as nice as the Kickstand Lodge up in VA.  

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 11/12/17 at 17:02:02

Yup ya don't gotta do 140 mph to have fun. 40 to 50 and enjoy the surroundings and enjoy the ride , enjoy just being alive !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 11/13/17 at 08:19:30

Yup ya don't gotta do 140 mph to have fun. 40 to 50 and enjoy the surroundings and enjoy the ride , enjoy just being alive !  

Smiley

That speeding up on the straits is where the trouble w/"The Law" comes from , and fair enough too !    Ain't no 140 mph going on here !  Grin

I've got a Nephew who got into trouble with doing 130+ on the Natchez Trace Parkway , by time he got through with it ... it cost :
about $3000.oo in fines
120 hrs. community service
inflated insurance for the next 5 years
several days tied-up with court dates
Untold Lawyer Bills ???
and if there is a second offence then it will be a Felony and he'll do jail time and loose his 2nd amendment rights. ....

Some times the law just don't have a sense of humor ...

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 11/13/17 at 08:31:53

If we have any members in the areas we want to go-to --- how about joining in the dialog here and give-up some of the finer details ...

So many places to ride and it would be so easy if we had "connections" in the proposed areas.

We need some tour guides .  Huh

Black Hills area ... ?
Back of the Dragon area ?
All them other places that begin with "B"

Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 11/13/17 at 09:57:31

I spent a bit of my lunch break looking for lodging at the Back of the Dragon.  It doesn't seem there are any "bargains" when it comes to finding cabins - and the campgrounds appear to be the local public stuff.  There was a special ATV campground/cabin place - from what I know about those folks it could be a bit rowdy compared to the peace and calm we are used to at places like the Kickstand Lodge, Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground or Two Wheels of Suches.  The touristy activity in this area may be too new to have the older established (affordable) places that we have come to know and love.

I am still up for a trip...I just haven't discovered a place to stay.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:24:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Things on a bucket list

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.